• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in Hershey Area

fatcatbrew

I am traveling to the area as a couple and am looking for recommendations for dining. I want to stay away from the chains, hotels and tourist traps. Any recs would be greatly appreciated.

Some one had suggested "What If" - Any thoughts?

Edited by fatcatbrew (log)

You don't say what you are looking for in terms of cuisine or price, but I recall a short thread on the subject of Hershey area restaurants within the last year that might be helpful. I dont think anything has changed since then so you might want to locate that. Assuming you have a car, consider hopping over to Lebanon. Trattoria Fratelli has always been excellent and Nick's has gotten some very positive reviews, although I can't personally vouch for it.

The What If, by the way, is located at a motel but is independently owned and operated. I can recommend the sister restaurant of the same name in Harrisburg but I haven't tried the one in Hershey.

In the Hershey area - Al Mediterraneo in Hummelstown (just down the road- depending on where you're staying) has decent Italian. I wasn't blown away the last time I ate there, but it was pleasant enough and reasonably priced.

For good "bar food," head over to Elizabethtown and try TJ Rockwells. They don't take reservations - so on a Fri or Sat night be prepared to wait.

In Hershey proper, the Chocolate Grill that's essentially across the street from the Hershey Press Club (along Route 422) is quite good for lunch. Nice selection of sandwiches, salads, etc. Tokyo Diner lacks a bit in atmosphere, but not-bad moderately priced sushi. And for true diner-mode, the Country Table is quite tasty. Has that 'Penn Dutch" feel.

Or - if you have time - take a 15 minute drive into downtown Harrisburg for fantastic eats. Second street in downtown has been transformed in recent years into "Restaurant Row" - dozens of restaurants - among my favorites - Bricco (Mediterranean cuisine), Mangia Qui (Northern Italian) and its upstairs tapas bar Suba, and for Indian, Passage to India.

As the previous poster indicated, Niko's in downtown Lebanon is also quite tasty.

I wonder if this is the Hershey thread referred to above.

Actually, I was thinking about the one that began in mid-December of '08. If I had anything more than rudimentary computer skills, I would provide the link.

But we haven't even gotten to mid-December '08! Maybe you were dreaming? :biggrin:

...or ahead of my time. Fortunately, somebody on the proper time/space continuum came to the rescue.