• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

hostess gift - chocolates?

Looking for recommendations in the NNJ area for great chocolates or other unique food gift ideas for the host who has everything.

What do you usually bring when invited to a dinner where the host already has a huge wine collection, fully decorated home, etc.?

Montclair's Nicky Messiah makes the best toffee in the world! It's really outstanding and can be found, I believe at Spice it Up on Bloomfield Ave in Montclair. If not, check her web site missnickys.com- although I didn't see anything about her toffee there, there is contact info.

Chocolate sounds like a good solution to me! If you would like to bring some that's exceptional, I highly recommend Genevieve's Chocolates on Ray Street in Garfield. It's a family-owned business that's been there for something like 50 years, and I think it's the best of its kind, bar none. They have just about any type you'd want: milk, dark or white, and all types of filled or chocolate-covered candies.

Looking for recommendations in the NNJ area for great chocolates or other unique food gift ideas for the host who has everything. 

What do you usually bring when invited to a dinner where the host already has a huge wine collection, fully decorated home, etc.?

Not chocolates, but in the same spirit: mustards, tapenade, walnut oil, anchovies, etc

Michael

www.epicures.wordpress.com

i really like j emanuel chocolates. you can find them at Gary's wine and marketplace.

how about some bourbon or other spirit? if you showed up at my place with some Buffalo Trace i would treat you like royalty....

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I am brining a hostess gift this weekend to a former neighbor who has relocated...stopped in at the Ridgewood Cheese Shop and picked up some truffle honey, three cheeses, artisinal chocolates, french apricots and an artisinal butter from Vermont. Will pick up a fennel cranberry bread tomorrow just before we leave and with a final price $42.24 I am feeling pretty good about my choices!!!!!!

jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

I am brining a hostess gift this weekend to a former neighbor who has relocated...stopped in at the Ridgewood Cheese Shop and picked up some truffle honey, three cheeses, artisinal chocolates, french apricots and an artisinal butter from Vermont. Will pick up a fennel cranberry bread tomorrow just before we leave and with a final price $42.24 I am feeling pretty good about my choices!!!!!!

jan

Jan, you're welcome to come to MY house any time if that's your idea of a hostess gift! :-) Good call.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I'd second votes for Nicky's amazing toffee and the J. Emanuel chocolates, and add this: The Chocolate Path on Lackawanna Plaza in Montclair. Susan carries chocolate bars you can't find anywhere else in the area (Michel Cluizel, Amedei) and a fantastic selection of truffles (Marie Belle, eg) and other treats. She's serious about her dark chocolate, and puts together some beautiful baskets, too. I'm not related or affiliated--just a loyal customer.

I am actually sitting here indulging in a box of Miss Nicky Mesiah's mixed toffee and i can't tell you how fabulous it is!! This is handmade, homemade candy of the highest order -- and the price is terrific. It is sold at Spice It Up on Bloomfield Avenue in Montclair, as JoRic mentioned, but check Nicky's website as well. My favorite is the almond toffee but she does a number of incredible varieties. I give boxes of her stuff all the time as gifts, and people go wild for it.