• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

need a wood source

Gotta say, jas, that Smitty's (in the former Kreutz storefront,) blew us away with fatty brisket and beauty-rare prime rib as they opened on a Saturday morning in April.

We then went to Kreutz where the brisket tasted like grandma's overdone pot roast. Saturday noon - no fat, no moisture, no shit! My sis has lived in Austin for a dozen years and it was her (and my) worst experience there. They have added a japaleno/cheese sausage to the menu that moved them from an F to a D+.

I hope they're not coasting.

Then we rolled south to Luling, where third time was the charm and TX BBQ was not Sears BBQ. (Nod to the late FZ, floss not necessary.)

I have never heard of using oak for smoke flavor. 

dude! lockhart, tx! brisket dry rubbed over post oak. man oh man. that's the jawn right there.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Gotta say, jas, that Smitty's (in the former Kreutz storefront,) blew us away with fatty brisket and beauty-rare prime rib as they opened on a Saturday morning in April.

We then went to Kreutz where the brisket tasted like grandma's overdone pot roast.  Saturday noon - no fat, no moisture, no shit!  My sis has lived in Austin for a dozen years and it was her (and my) worst experience there.  They have added a japaleno/cheese sausage to the menu that moved them from an F to a D+.

I hope they're not coasting.

Then we rolled south to Luling, where third time was the charm and TX BBQ was not Sears BBQ.  (Nod to the late FZ, floss not necessary.) 

that's a damn shame. i hope they're not either; i haven't been back in a couple years. i reckon another hill country trip is in order.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

Unfortunately, I'm not going to make it out to Shady Brook Farm this weekend. But scrounging from orchards is a great idea. We're planning to go fruit picking a couple of times this summer; I think I'll call ahead and find out if any of these places will sell me some wood scraps.

Otherwise... I kind of agree with this sentiment:

Those 10# bags of hickory or mesquite available at Lowe's may be relatively pricey, but they make up for it in convenience.

Did I mention how small my garden is? A cubic foot of wood is about all I can really justify. So if the orchard thing doesn't work out, I'll try ordering something cool from barbecuewood.com.

too bad you can't smoke stuff over bradford pear wood. those things are splitting and falling down all over the city. bbqing over street tree wood gives your food that certain exhaust and dog pee city je ne sais quois that a more rural-based wood could never provide...

if you're ever up near hamburg, pa, my hub bought a nice selection of hardwoods (apple, hickory and alder) at cabelas for around $8 p/ 10lb bag. doesn't look like they sell wood through their website. if you've never been to cabelas before, it's quite the redneck disneyland!

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

I just finished cutting about 15 lbs of really nice split hickory logs from Smokin Dude's at the BBQ event I posted about upthread. I only have a Weber kettle and they were too big to put in that so I fired up my miter saw for the heavy lifting.

I'll report back after my first opportunity to use it in my smoker. My driveway is quite a mess, hopin for a big wind to blow all the sawdust away :raz:

I think I got you boys hooked up. Check this out:

gallery_7409_476_136251.jpg

Cut and seasoned fruit woods from William Schober Sons Orchards. 1125 Monroeville Rd., Monroeville, NJ 08343. 856-694-1212. Yes, that's right. It says $6 on the box. They sell larger quantities as well. It's about a 35 minute drive from Center City. Take the Walt Whitman to 42 South. Exit 13 to Route 55 South (DeptfordGlassboro exit). Continue to Exit 45, CR-553. Make a right onto Buck Road (County Route 553) and drive approximately 2 miles. You'll pass Garrison Lake on your right. Schober Orchards is on your right at the intersection of Buck Road and Monroeville Road (CR-604).

They have lovely fruit too, normally. Or at least so they tell me. I stopped to buy some fresh strawberries but since it's been 100 degrees all week they haven't picked any. I did buy some nice preserves at Schober and found fresh strawberries and cherries a bit further down the road at the next farm they directed me to.

Hope this helps. You all realize that if I make it possible for you to do all this fancy smoking I expect a multitude of dinner invitations as a thank you. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I might just take a look if we end up going down to Cape May this summer. I take 55 all the way down when we go. It's not likely I'd drive out there unless it was on the way to somewhere else.

Is that where you were heading Katie?

Actually no. I wish I were on the way to the beach, but I'm back to work tomorrow. I was heading up Buck Road to meet a kitty cat in the next township over.

This is Briolette, aka Bree. A purebred Bengal cat.

gallery_7409_476_22899.jpg

She's a real beauty and I might add her to my menagerie later this summer. I'm torn between getting her, a different male kitty that's a red marbled Bengal with aqua eyes who is really sweet, or waiting until a different cat is available. If you have any questions about her PM me.

And to keep this on topic, I knew I'd want to find some farm fresh fruit while I was wandering about in the hinterlands of Gloucester County. Having passed both Schober's and the other farm on the way to my destination I was certain I'd find something to bring home. The other farm (whose name excapes me) had gorgeous fresh peas in addition to the strawberries and cherries I purchased. The cherries are candy sweet. :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol