• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

OK Place For Family Dinner In/Near Brighton MI

robyn

The reason we're going to Chicago is we have a family wedding in Brighton Michigan (sorry Brighton people - couldn't resist Chicago on the way to Brighton :smile: ). We would like to take the mother and father of the groom (my BIL and SIL) out for dinner Sunday night. I realize Brighton is not a hot bed of fine dining but I'd like to find a place that's decent (even if it's a chain). I think Novi is a bit far to go for dinner - but towns nearby would be ok. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Robyn

The reason we're going to Chicago is we have a family wedding in Brighton Michigan (sorry Brighton people - couldn't resist Chicago on the way to Brighton  :smile: ).  We would like to take the mother and father of the groom (my BIL and SIL) out for dinner Sunday night.  I realize Brighton is not a hot bed of fine dining but I'd like to find a place that's decent (even if it's a chain).  I think Novi is a bit far to go for dinner - but towns nearby would be ok.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.  Robyn

Brighton is about 16 miles from Novi and about 20 from Ann Arbor, but if those are too far, then, as you surmised, Brighton is chain central. Two non-chain restaurants that locals seem to like are The Brighton House (conventional American, e.g., surf and turf, whitefish, prime rib) and Ciao Amici's.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

The reason we're going to Chicago is we have a family wedding in Brighton Michigan (sorry Brighton people - couldn't resist Chicago on the way to Brighton  :smile: ).  We would like to take the mother and father of the groom (my BIL and SIL) out for dinner Sunday night.  I realize Brighton is not a hot bed of fine dining but I'd like to find a place that's decent (even if it's a chain).  I think Novi is a bit far to go for dinner - but towns nearby would be ok.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.  Robyn

If Novi's too far (a shame, as Diamond Jim Brady's would be a quick-as-a-wink recommendation from me), how about Five Lakes Grill in downtown Milford? Brian Polcyn's place has gotten consistently great word-of-mouth for years, and his charcuterie is an absolute specialty. Not too far from Brighton, either.

Hope that helps. Seriously, though: Diamond Jim Brady's is awesome, and worth the, what, 20 minute drive on I-696? It does, of course, depend on where you are in Brighton, too, but considering that it's *right* off of the Novi Road exit, you can't ask for a much easier-to-access place than that, with Mary Brady doing what she does best in the kitchen. I *really* love DJB's.

Milford is the place to go. Besides Five Lakes on Main st, there's Baker's on S. Milford Rd and Hector & Jimmy's on N. Milford rd. I've been to both Baker's and H&J's. They both have good food and families are welcome. It's about a 15 minute drive.

I had forgotten about interstate highways. We go to restaurants in Jacksonville that are 15-20 miles away all the time. Takes less than 30 minutes assuming no traffic (and I doubt traffic will be bad on a Sunday). So it looks like we can consider Novi - Ann Arbor too (my SIL works in Ann Arbor - so it can't be that far away). Robyn

If Novi's too far (a shame, as Diamond Jim Brady's would be a quick-as-a-wink recommendation from me), how about Five Lakes Grill in downtown Milford? Brian Polcyn's place has gotten consistently great word-of-mouth for years, and his charcuterie is an absolute specialty. Not too far from Brighton, either.

Hope that helps. Seriously, though: Diamond Jim Brady's is awesome, and worth the, what, 20 minute drive on I-696? It does, of course, depend on where you are in Brighton, too, but considering that it's *right* off of the Novi Road exit, you can't ask for a much easier-to-access place than that, with Mary Brady doing what she does best in the kitchen. I *really* love DJB's.

Yes, both Novi and Ann Arbor are almost all expressway driving, 70 mph speed limit for the most part.

Unfortunately, Five Lakes Grill is closed on Sundays.

Here's the website for Diamond Jim Brady's.

Here's the Novi thread.

For Ann Arbor, I recommend Zingerman's Roadhouse.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Yes, both Novi and Ann Arbor are almost all expressway driving, 70 mph speed limit for the most part.

Unfortunately, Five Lakes Grill is closed on Sundays.

Here's the website for Diamond Jim Brady's.

Here's the Novi thread.

For Ann Arbor, I recommend Zingerman's Roadhouse.

Good call on FLG being closed on Sundays, Alex. I hadn't even taken that into consideration.

Thanks for providing the link to DJBs that I neglected to...if that's not the best place for my money in Novi, I don't know what would be. One of these days I'm going to head out to A-Squared and give Zingerman's a whirl. I've never been there, and really don't have a good excuse anymore: a friend of mine at my Bible study works there, and can provide me a discount, so I need to see if their corned beef on rye with Russian dressing and cole slaw is, in fact, better than Stage's.

If only the Roadhouse wasn't so blinking expensive...

The problem with the Roadhouse is that it's priced like a special occasion restaurant, but has the ambience and food and niche of being neighborhood restaurant. The food quality and preparation is top notch, though - I have no doubt that their $26-$30 specials are going to be great, but if I'm paying that much for dinner, I'm going somewhere else.

The burgers and sandwiches are pretty reasonable, as is the daily blue plate special. So we manage to treat it as our neighborhood restaurant by choosing carefully and just ignoring huge swaths of the menu.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

The problem with the Roadhouse is that it's priced like a special occasion restaurant, but has the ambience and food and niche of being neighborhood restaurant. The food quality and preparation is top notch, though - I have no doubt that their $26-$30 specials are going to be great, but if I'm paying that much for dinner, I'm going somewhere else.

The burgers and sandwiches are pretty reasonable, as is the daily blue plate special. So we manage to treat it as our neighborhood restaurant by choosing carefully and just ignoring huge swaths of the menu.

But then, it's a hard place to recommend to friends, as it's neither one, nor the other. On the whole, Zingerman's is pricey, but from what I understand, some of that priciness is justified due to quality standards that are the highest. I can understand this.

But as you say...when their "specials" are in the high-$20-to-low-$30 range, there had better be some very, very, *very* significant ambience, service, et al to go along with that. The price of *quality* can be justified only so much...there comes a point where it's just plain disingenuous.

Be one, or be the other, but don't try to be both, and fail.

I looked up Zingerman's. I had some curious reactions. I was surprised to see that it is a James Beard nominee (best restaurant Great Lakes) this year. And I looked at the menu - and it looked a whole lot more like a regional menu from the southeast than one I would expect in the midwest. If I recall correctly - there weren't even any local fish on the menu (I happen to think that our Florida fish is hard to beat - but I have had some pretty tasty fresh fried lake fish in cities like Cleveland).

Now I am not exactly sure what a regional menu in the midwest should look like :smile: - but I know that grits and mac & cheese and fried chicken are southern. And that I am generally disappointed when I - as someone who lives in the southeast and cooks and eats southern food all the time - have tried "southern food" away from home. Even Golden Corral serves pretty tasty mac & cheese here :wink: . One of the worst places I ever ate at was a high end southern place - think a failed attempt at high end fried chicken - in Beverly Hills. So once or twice burnt makes someone like me kind of shy.

OTOH - is this considered a really good restaurant by people who live in the general area (and not only Ann Arbor types if you know what I mean). My BIL is the kind of person who shoots deer and and makes his own venison stew during deer season (unfortunately - although his venison is excellent - he does really clean kills with bow and arrow - his sauce skills leave something to be desired). Will he think it's silly (people from the midwest usually aren't "grits" people)? Or do regular people think it's a really good restaurant - but priced on the somewhat high side? Note that the prices don't knock my socks off (we'll be going to Paris in October and I think looking at prices there has immunized me from any kind of sticker shock!).

Anyway - I guess what I am saying in a roundabout way is I really don't care what the meal costs. I just don't want to wind up in a lose/lose situation - where I don't like the food because it's a pale imitation of real southern food - and my inlaws don't like it because the food isn't their cup of tea. They - like many people - have had economic dislocations due to the downturn in the auto industry - and I'm trying to pick a place that they would pick for themselves - but which they can't afford except perhaps very occasionally - or never. Anyway - as you can imagine - I think it's kind of a delicate issue from my POV. I don't want to come across like our old friend BO (gosh - have you seen the price of arugula in Whole Foods! - although I will note that there is a Whole Foods in Ann Arbor - but not one where I live). Just want to have a good meal that my inlaws will enjoy. On my part - the only thing I require is a full bar (I don't drink beer or wine).

BTW - with regard to Zingerman's - they have smoked brisket on the menu. Usually a Texas thing. Other smoked things as well. Do they smoke their own? If I saw a menu like this in the south - I'd try the place in a heartbeat (because I love southern food). Guess my reluctance springs from trying to transplant a cuisine 1500 miles away from the source. Robyn

I left Ann Arbor almost 20 years ago and still dream about Zingerman's. And I live in a place with good chow. I have half-way seriously considered having them fedex me a sandwich - they will actually do that!

I just got home( 2 hours ago) from Ann Arbor. I ate at Zingerman's for lunch today( the deli) and last night at The Common Grill. Not sure how far Brighton is from Chelsea, but I'd highly reccomend The Common Grill. I had a really fantastic fish dish that was 24.00.

Btw, not a restaurant. But I fell in love with the new Plum Market.

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

I just got home( 2 hours ago) from Ann Arbor.  I ate at Zingerman's for lunch today( the deli) and last night at The Common Grill.  Not sure how far Brighton is from Chelsea, but I'd highly reccomend The Common Grill.  I had a really fantastic fish dish that was 24.00.

Btw, not a restaurant.  But I fell in love with the new Plum Market.

While the Common Grill is great, I think Zingerman's Roadhouse is an equally appealing option. They're two very different restaurants, and I have visited each nearly a dozen times. In full disclosure, I haven't been to either in nearly two years.

First, I find the Common Grill's quasi-reservation system really annoying. It's also loud. Food can be good, but it's never bust-out great. On the other hand, it's never downright disappointing, either.

Zingerman's Roadhouse is more casual and comfy - both in ambience and food. While it can get loud in the reception room (mostly smaller tables and parties), the back room, off to the left with booths and tables, has room to spare and is much easier on the ears. The food tends to be very good; rarely extraodinary. What I appreciate about Zingerman's is that their produce and ingredients come across as being more fresh - not necessarily because it is any fresher or better than what Chef Common gets, rather, perhaps execution is more deft. Zingerman's wins hands-down on desserts, as well. I'm not sweet tooth, but if you are, you won't be disappointed at the Roadhouse.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

OTOH - is this considered a really good restaurant by people who live in the general area (and not only Ann Arbor types if you know what I mean).  My BIL is the kind of person who shoots deer and and makes his own venison stew during deer season (unfortunately - although his venison is excellent - he does really clean kills with bow and arrow - his sauce skills leave something to be desired).  Will he think it's silly (people from the midwest usually aren't "grits" people)?  Or do regular people think it's a really good restaurant - but priced on the somewhat high side?  Note that the prices don't knock my socks off (we'll be going to Paris in October and I think looking at prices there has immunized me from any kind of sticker shock!).

Anyway - I guess what I am saying in a roundabout way is I really don't care what the meal costs.  I just don't want to wind up in a lose/lose situation - where I don't like the food because it's a pale imitation of real southern food - and my inlaws don't like it because the food isn't their cup of tea.  They - like many people - have had economic dislocations due to the downturn in the auto industry - and I'm trying to pick a place that they would pick for themselves - but which they can't afford except perhaps very occasionally - or never.  Anyway - as you can imagine - I think it's kind of a delicate issue from my POV.  I don't want to come across like our old friend BO (gosh - have you seen the price of arugula in Whole Foods! - although I will note that there is a Whole Foods in Ann Arbor - but not one where I live).  Just want to have a good meal that my inlaws will enjoy.  On my part - the only thing I require is a full bar (I don't drink beer or wine).

BTW - with regard to Zingerman's - they have smoked brisket on the menu.  Usually a Texas thing.  Other smoked things as well.  Do they smoke their own?  If I saw a menu like this in the south - I'd try the place in a heartbeat (because I love southern food).  Guess my reluctance springs from trying to transplant a cuisine 1500 miles away from the source.  Robyn

They do smoke their own. I drive past every day while going to work, and the smell most mornings is utterly divine.

Their motto is "really good American food" and they've got regional specialties from all over the country on the menu, including a cheese list with all kinds of great American cheeses. They pay a lot of attention to quality of ingredients and it shows. While a southerner would probably find some chinks in the armor of authenticity for some of the food items, on the whole they do that region of the country justice, i think. You can even order a shot of pot liquor! (I think it's a 50 cent side item or something like that...)

I'd say it meets your criteria of a really good restaurant that's priced somewhat high. And they do have excellent but not formal. Customer satisfaction is extremely high on their agenda. Nearly every meal includes a little taste of something from the kitchen - a sampler of pimento cheese (mmm) with dinner or donut holes at brunch.

They have a full bar, lots of food and beer choices, and an excellent and extensive list of classic cocktails made with real fruit juices, etc.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I needn't have worried. Wrote my SIL about Zingerman's Roadhouse. As it turns out - they had my niece's graduation party from U of M there a couple of years ago and really loved the place. So Zingerman's it is. BTW - they have a Passover menu this week - and it looks to die for. I live in a metro area of over a million with only about 20,000 Jewish people - and it's hard to get even a major grocery chain like Publix to put out Jewish holiday stuff on the correct dates. All too often - the Passover stuff is displayed right before Easter - and the Chanukah stuff right before Christmas (even if Chanukah was over on December 10). I would give my right arm to have a menu here this week like the one at Zingerman's. Anyway - I will make a reservation at Zingerman's. Think it should be a lot of fun - for the whole family. Robyn

I needn't have worried.  Wrote my SIL about Zingerman's Roadhouse.  As it turns out - they had my niece's graduation party from U of M there a couple of years ago and really loved the place.  So Zingerman's it is.  BTW - they have a Passover menu this week - and it looks to die for.  I live in a metro area of over a million with only about 20,000 Jewish people - and it's hard to get even a major grocery chain like Publix to put out Jewish holiday stuff on the correct dates.  All too often - the Passover stuff is displayed right before Easter - and the Chanukah stuff right before Christmas (even if Chanukah was over on December 10).  I would give my right arm to have a menu here this week like the one at Zingerman's.  Anyway - I will make a reservation at Zingerman's.  Think it should be a lot of fun - for the whole family.  Robyn

I thoroughly understand. Grand Rapids' metro area is about half a million, with a Jewish population of less than one-half of one percent. Fortunately, though, there are good ties with the religious community in general and reasonable awareness of what Judaism is about, so Passover stuff arrives on time (even k-f-P Coca-Cola!) and our local paper always has a seder-related feature story or two.

If you have time before or after dinner, you might consider taking a short detour to Zingerman's Deli. They sell the best polenta I've ever eaten. Rugelach, too, if you're not keeping kosher for Passover. Actually, there are lots of "best ever" items.

Edited by Alex (log)

If you have time before or after dinner, you might consider taking a short detour to Zingerman's Deli. They sell the best polenta I've ever eaten. Rugelach, too, if you're not keeping strictly k-f-P. Actually, there are lots of "best ever" items.

Agreed. I really enjoy their matzoh ball soup - they're big and fluffy. The chopped liver is exactly the inelegant fare that makes it comforting.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I won't have to worry about K-F-P because I'll be there in July :smile:.

We have kind of a mixed up family. My inlaws are midwestern kind of fundamentalist Christians. It will be interesting to see how my nephew and his fiancee react to Boston (they'll be moving there this summer because my nephew's fiancee just got into Harvard Dental School!).

Anyway - my inlaws like Zingerman's - and if I wind up liking Zingerman's too - you'll know you have a real winner on your hands :biggrin: . FWIW - my inlaws usually go to a Seder at least once during Passover. Apparently - it's now a trendy thing to do for many non-Jewish people. Who would have thunk it? Anyway - I am really looking forward to our meal there - and we will stop by the deli too if it's open when we're in Ann Arbor. Robyn

Anyway - my inlaws like Zingerman's - and if I wind up liking Zingerman's too - you'll know you have a real winner on your hands  :biggrin: .  FWIW - my inlaws usually go to a Seder at least once during Passover.  Apparently - it's now a trendy thing to do for many non-Jewish people.  Who would have thunk it?  Anyway - I am really looking forward to our meal there - and we will stop by the deli too if it's open when we're in Ann Arbor.  Robyn

Look at what article was on my nytimes.com home page this evening. I wonder if their tracking cookie detected my visiting the Zingerman's web site earlier today. :hmmm: Anyhow, the deli is open until 10 every night. (And all tracking cookies have been deleted.)