• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NASCAR Food

Susan in FL

Today is the 50th annual running of the Daytona 500 at the present speedway, which is about five miles from my house. Prior to that, it took place here on the beach. Each year I declare this event the first day of summer in Florida. Snowangel Susan and all other NASCAR fans, what are you eating? Though it might not be the start of warm summer weather for you, it is an opening day of sorts for all of us fans.

Please post about what you eat in celebration of stock car racing in general and NASCAR in particular, this week and for all races to come!

Are there any of you who go to races and what do you eat while you're there? Some of the campers who are here go all out, cooking in and around their RV's. Do speedways have certain foods for sale they are known for, like baseball stadiums do?

The cars are fast, but not all the food will be. My most recent ex-husband and I are getting together to watch the race, steam some local shrimp, grill a steak dinner, and enjoy the food and drink almost as much as the race. What are you having? Have fun!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I belong to a Fraternal organization called the Orioles Club; we're doing smoked butts, BBQ chicken and "stuff" (sides brought by members). Naturally we'll drink at the bar, and fill our bellies. :raz:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

We don't really have a race day tradition, but today, the family has asked for buffalo wings and a broccoli, grape and bacon salad (bound with mayo). Often during high summer, we are at The Cabin, so race time usually finds us racing home!

I'll keep you posted on race day dinners.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Ooh, race fans. Cool!

I'm making shrimp mojo de ajo with jasmine rice, chopped salad and a few Coronas with lime. If the past is any indication, we probably won't eat until 400 laps in.

In the past, I would try to plan race-inspired menus, like Martinsville Meatloaf and Richmond Ribs. The more alliteration, the better. I almost always made red beans and rice for Daytona or Charlotte, and something that went well with wine (usually steaks or an assortment of cheese and fruit) for Sears Point/Infineon (Sonoma County).

I would also take photos and post them on my website. Boy, I had a lot of free time when I was single. :huh:

Enjoy the race. And go, Junior!!

Edited by abooja (log)

• 3 weeks later...
Are there any of you who go to races and what do you eat while you're there? Some of the campers who are here go all out, cooking in and around their RV's. Do speedways have certain foods for sale they are known for, like baseball stadiums do

We go to the Loudon, NH race in the fall, its a tail gating thing for us. Last year it was 12 of us. I do the menu, buy the food, and cook and everyone else buys my ticket and brings the beverages. My favorite was the prosecco-pomegranite-mimosa's.

I bring a small enclosed trailer and a gas grill. Last year I did a 'brunch' menu: croissant, muffins, soft rolls, roasted veg frittata, quiche lorraine w/lardons, irish bangers, corned beef hash, kielbasa, smoked duck quesedillas, an apple tarte tatin, and mini flourless chocolate cakes.

It was a blast, it was great seeing some of the looks we got . Hopefully we do it with a few more this year. Not sure what the menu will though, maybe Indian/middle eastern, or someone mentioned rotisserie a suckling pig... :biggrin:

I'll have to take the camera this year.

-CW

I'll have to take the camera this year.

Please do!

I've enjoyed these replies. I grilled on the past three Sundays. It wasn't intentionally a race tradition, but since a pattern seems to be developing it just might turn into one.

We often grill as well. The menu is usually very high on meat ( sometimes exclusively meat ).

I started a thread on Daytona food a few months ago ( it was mid winter and I was going through racing withdrawl ). I wanted to make tire shaped meatballs. I never got to it as our daughter was born a few days before the race :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: and I missed the Daytona party.

Thinking back I think the best reaction to any food I've brought to a Nascar party was for samosas and pakoras. They were a big hit!!

• 1 month later...

Sorry, NASCAR fans who are also food enthusiasts ["racy foodies" maybe?] for not keeping this topic going strong. How 'bout the night races when it's perfect timing for watching while eating dinner? Last night would have made for a LONG late dinner. I enjoyed skewered marinated pork and sweet onions, with fresh corn salsa and Shiraz, followed by banana slices which had been soaked in flavored rum -- I had to find something to do with that nasty stuff besides throw it away -- and then sauteed in butter and brown sugar. The menu had no particular relevance to the race, but it was consumed in front of the TV on my porch!