• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Travelogue: the Americas (part 2)

Peter,

I have been contemplating about doing another blog. But I am waiting for something special like a festival or an event to blog about. I was so glad you're doing these set of blogs, it's like travelling with you without the hassle and the hangover. :biggrin:

Will tell Billy about Serena's hi. He's graduating from preschool tomorrow. *proud mommy grin*

Doddie

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Peter,

I have been contemplating about doing another blog. But I am waiting for something special like a festival or an event to blog about. I was so glad you're doing these set of blogs, it's like travelling with you without the hassle and the hangover. :biggrin:

Hassle ? Do I ever sound like I encounter hassles?

And hangovers are to be savoured, as you know you'll feel so good when they're gone.

:biggrin:

‘Cause I’m Leavin’ On A Jet Plane (They can only hope)

The next morning Lina was there for us again, patiently herding us and our voluminous luggage into the van. It was a Saturday, and we were keeping her from her family, but she was still perfect in her handling of us.

She really wanted to make certain that we left this time. We were getting to be like the cat that came back.

But everything went without a hitch in the airport. Eric, from the morning before, was looking in better spirits, and we’ made sure all of our papers were in order. We cleared customs and immigration, and made a beeline to the lounge, where we greeted the pleasant young lady at the counter as an old friend. From there we phoned Lina, and let her know we were safely away.

From Bogota to Miami on American was an easy enough trip. While I can complain about the mechanical work of American Airlines, their cabin staff were infinitely more pleasant than Continental’s.

As we rode North, I reflected (okay, I didn’t reflect, I wrote) on this leg of the trip.

I had expected something quite different of Bogota. Perhaps I’ve seen one too many films of Latin America, and so was thinking in terms of a Spanish speaking Phnom Penh, but what I had found was a very sophisticated culture that functioned well, and with a darned sight more grace and aplomb than I could ever muster.

Given the opportunity, I will return. I’d even spend my own money (stop gasping, you lot!) to come here. It’s less than 5 hours from Houston, and I’m there from time to time. Obviously, on business there are restrictions on what we can get up to. I would love to be here on a looser leash, and to check out the sandwich shops, empanada stands, and sidewalk cafes that I saw whilst in Bogota. And I could get out to the clubs without worry about facing work the next morning.

And there were more beers I hadn’t tried, and liquors I hadn’t hurt myself with yet.

And somewhere out there is a plate of big ass ants with my name on it.

Cheers,

Peter

From here – continue back to Part 1 in Houston for a short stop, and then it’ll be part 3 in Midland. Me, I’ve got to get back to part 4 in Calgary now.

One correction just in! (And I'm lucky it's only one so far)

When I wrote:

In addition to Harry Sasson, Lina also spoke of having taken cooking classes from a Maria Arriegas. She doesn’t have a restaurant here, but consults and runs some classes. Given – I’m told - that she’d worked for Ferran Adria in the past, she’d be an interesting person to meet when I can get back here next.

Lina was actually speaking of Maria Villegas, who has authored and co-authored a number of books; Taste + Colour, A La Carte, and others. For those of you who've been madly googling for the references....well......sorry?

I can't even blame alcohol for this lapse, as I was still quite contrite about the evening before.

Peter, thank you, again, for a wonderful travelogue.

I feel they are truly among the best stuff here on eGullet.

I doubt that I will ever get to Bogota, but thanks to your pictures and great writing I've learned some things about it! Thank you and please never stop travelling, taking pictures, eating and reporting :smile:

I doubt that I will ever get to Bogota, but thanks to your pictures and great writing I've learned some things about it! Thank you and please never stop travelling, taking pictures, eating and reporting  :smile:

Thanks, Chufi!

I felt that I would never get to South America, too. At least not from this hemisphere. But, having done it once, I'm itchy to get back and try some more (especially the potatoes).

Life is too short.

I'm going to go away and blush for awhile now.

Cheers,

Peter

I doubt that I will ever get to Bogota, but thanks to your pictures and great writing I've learned some things about it! Thank you and please never stop travelling, taking pictures, eating and reporting  :smile:

That's it exactly, what Klary said.

I look forward to more Peter Green: No Reservations! :biggrin:

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

These write-ups just keep getting better and better. I can't wait for the next installment, which if I'm interpreting your teasers correctly, will be from Japan.

I'm still not convinced you actually have a job, though. I think the job thing is just another angle in the overall plot. :wink:

I agree with Klary. Like your other travelogues, that was a terrific read! You are so entertaining, while being informative!

Michael aka "Pan"