• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ile de re potatoes

Bageless

A food shop near us is selling 2 kg of potatoes from the Ile de Ré in its own wooden box for 6 euros (similar new French potatoes are 1.60 euros a kilo). Can anyone tell me what's so singular about potatoes from this island off the Atlantic coast?

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason, the potatoes from the Ile de Re and Noirmoutiers are highly prized and priced. We spent some some on the nearby Ile de Yeu and we had them daily. I loved them but can't tell you more than that they are limited in number, usually sold by the box, taste more firm and have I guess you could call it salty flavor. I like them but my eating pal tells me he cannot tell any difference.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I'm planning a visit there - and ran across this on their official website about their potatoes

Five different varieties grow here, two soft-bodied, the Almaria and the Starlette, while the Roseval, Charlotte and Amandine have a firmer texture.

I don't think I've tried them but can't wait - I LOVE potatoes. A meal of those potatoes, a sprinkle of their local salt, a plateau of local oysters - I cannot wait. And the pineau - got to start with some pineau.

I'm planning a visit there -

If you visit Ille de Noirmoutier, buy the salt they produce.Fantastic.

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

If you visit Ille de Noirmoutier, buy the salt they produce.Fantastic.

Which is this, I assume? :rolleyes: Thanks, naguere, for the reminder!

Of course, we've saved the best for last, a sack of Fleur de Sel, white gold. The three most prominent areas of salt production on France's Southwestern Atlantic coast, Guérande, Ile de Ré and Ile Noirmoutier, produce some of the best sea salt in the world. Salt farmers, and cultivate the salt marshes by hand. They channel the seawater into a series of basins of increasing salinity, and then let the sun and wind do their work. Most evaporation takes place during the sunniest months, June, July, and August, when the paludiers continually rake their salt beds. When the evaporation process is complete, the grey salt, sel gris, is harvested.

There are special days, which occur intermittently all summer long, before the evaporation process is complete, when the wind and the sun are just right: a white bloom appears on the water - the "Fleur" - the lightest of the salts, rich with the flavors of Brittany. Aware that nature only offers this gift erratically, the paludiers quickly, gently, gather it. Most of the salt farmers belong to a cooperative, which mixes all the salt together, the above average and the below average. Didier Aube of Guérande is one of the individuals who choose to go it alone, and with good reason since his Fleur de Sel is divine.

from chefshop

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

And should you go to Noirmoutier, there is A GOOD hOTEL/RESTAURANT called fleur de sel. At Ile de Ré, at those waterfront cafés they serve a great beer called La Blanche de Ré. I brought the empty flip top bottle home.

Oh gifted one, I did not read your post through . Now i see you mention Fleur de sel.

Edited by cigalechanta (log)

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

remember, do not put fleur de sel in something cooking, you sprinkle it AFTER and it brings out the flavor of the dish.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

Of course the reason not put fleur de sel in your stew pot is that it tastes just like salt and when it's dissolved, and a whole lot more expensive. It's really not much different from any other salt in terms of taste. In fact, I'd just as soon have that dirty grey stuff in my soup. I believe it is richer in other trace elements and flavors of the sea. What's unique about fleur de sel is it's uniform size somewhere short of coarse salt crystals and it's crystaline structure. Under a microscope you can see its rough surface which helps it hook onto food unlike most course salts which tend to slide right off the food. I don't know about the two island producers of sea salt and fleur de sel, but one can buy salt from peddlers at tables along the salt flats near Geurande for next to nothing. It's a little more expensive in town and a whole lot more so in the states after it gets into fancy packages.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

A plate of new potatoes, some Breton butter and a bit of fleur de sel. I'm getting hungry.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.