• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Dipped Waffles

Beth Wilson

I have been contacted by a friend who is going to school and has been given a project of developing a dessert. She asked me for advice on chocolate dipping waffles.

Personally, this sounds beyond sweet for my tastes so I was wondering if anyone has had such a thing and was it something you would eat again?

I have had chocolate syrup on a waffle but not a chocolate dipped. Perhaps I will have to get into the kitchen and do some experimenting.

Beth

I know the little waffle cookies are nice chocolate dipped.

You would want the chocolate to match the texture of the waffle somewhat so you aren't biting through too firm chocolate to soft waffle, so perhaps adding some butterfat to the chocolate you are tempering would give a nice melty soft dip.

I've got that Golden malted waffle mix, perhaps I should give it a try too.

I haven't made them myself, but a Swiss friend of mine makes yeasted waffles--gaufrex (sp?) that are lightly sweetened, then dips them part way in Belgian dark chocolate, then drizzles them with a little white chocolate, and they are quite tasty. The waffles themselves hold their shape better than regular waffles, and seem to hold up well to the chocolate.

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." -- Hippocrates

I have made small thin 3 inch circle waffles like for breakfast regular waffle recipe..cooked them in the waffle iron ..let them cool ...and dipped them in dark chocolate

I am not a pro at all just did it for fun with my kids I did not use any upscale chocolate I am afraid ..just the over the counter stuff

they were guite good

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I've had waffles similar to what sanrensho posted. There's a bakery nearby (Patisserie Lebeau) that serves all kinds of Belgian waffles (both sweet and savory, with different things added to the batter, like pecans or fruit), including both milk and dark chocolate dipped waffles. It is quite sweet, but also really good. I love the dark chocolate dipped one.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Wow! Great ideas! That link was helpful!

It appears I have been missing out and will have to try chocolate dipped waffles!

I think the small size is key. My friend was vague on her description so I imagined a huge waffle dipped in chocolate.

Thanks for the help!

Beth

Y'know a suggestion I have is to play with that visual texture texture texture. Anybody can dip, ie dunk a waffle in choco and that's way cool. But how about just pipe dots of chocolate into the bottom of the grooves for a great contrast. How about pipe choco on the top of the criss cross of the waffle and put stuff in the holes. Like fruit or mousse or nothing even or umm, candied nuts or fruit rind.

Oooh, umm y'know how a waffle can have the little dots of batter sticking out around it like stubby wheel spokes, those would be cool dipped.

So would those be considered firm or waffling thoughts? :biggrin: