• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chelsea Bun Dough in Bread Maker

Khadija

I've converted lots of recipes to the breadmaker. Either use the "dough" setting, and then form by hand and bake, or use the cycle where you can specify the settings. Just don't bake in the machine. So long as the amount fits into the breadmaker, you can usually dump all the ingredients into the machine, and go. Just keep an eye on it, to see if more flour or water is needed.

• 5 months later...
My friend and I are making Chelsea Buns, using an old recipe (Purity Cookbook)  http://www.recipelink.com/mf/1/6866.  This is the recipe my mom used when we were kids.

My friend has a breadmaker.  Can we convert the recipe, so the dough can be made in a breadmaker?

I use bread machines quite often to prepare (but not bake) the dough.

Chelsea buns are fine in the bread machine. I put in the water first and yeast, and cover that with 1 cup of flour. Swish it with a spoon and then add in the rest of the ingredients (flour, butter, sugar, salt, etc.) and mix to make a messy/mass of ..pudding/like dough. Let it stand about 5 minutes and then put the machine on DOUGH Mode and let it go. As it kneads/mixes, dust in a bit more flour, as required, to get a soft dough that holds in one soft/bouncy/ball. Then let it do its thing. Let it rise/When the machine beeps -gently deflate the dough on a counter top and continue on with the recipe (raisins or currants, rolling, forming and final rise)

Good luck!

wheatgirl from www.betterbaking.com (there is also a more modern Chelsea Bun in my cookbook but I also love vintage recipes)

A Note From Marcy, via www.betterbaking.com BetterBaking.Com, Online Magazine For Bakers 1997-2004