• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rolling/flattening things out

snowangel

I can dice and mince with the finest of them, but for the life of me, I can't seem to roll anything out to any shape other that resembles what it the shape should be. Doesn't matter whether it's rolling out dough for pies or quiche, or cookies, or a log (why are mine always square, not round)?

If I start with a nice round disk, I end up with something that looks like a science experiment. Rounds turn into amoebas, square turn into something that is other-worldly. Peter's comment last time I rolled something out was "Mom, that looks like an amoeba with tumors!" In the meantime, I'm going to take that square log and make square cookies.

Oh, and while we're at it. My pounded meat looks like hills and valleys.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

You are not alone when it comes to rolling out dough.  When I want to flatten meat I use my cast iron skillet, it does a great job.

if you want something to be round - say pizza dough - roll it one way. Give the dough a quarter turn and then repeat all the way around.

I just learned that and WOW! what a difference.

Maybe you are too hard on the items? anger management classes might help (HA HA)

I was going to mention the quarter-turn too. I've learned that letting some doughs rest and keeping other doughs cold both help a lot. For pizza dough, learning the basics of pulling and throwing also helps with shape.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

HI,

It also is important to begin rolling at the middle of your dough. The idea is to spread the dough from the middle to the outside, turn and repeat.

It also helps to be careful not to press down at the end of your stroke.

Tim

I would recommend the quarter-turn method, too.

However, if the crust is going to be round, you might want to look at the "Pie Crust Bag," available from King Arthur. Dorie Greenspan includes it in her list of holiday gifts for bakers. She describes it as follows: "It looks like a slipcover for a pillow, but it helps you roll dough out to the perfect thickness and diameter. You put your disk of dough in this zippered plastic bag (I flour the bag) and roll, roll, roll. Even if you’ve never rolled out pie dough before, you can look like an ace with this gadget."

Sounds like a good idea.

Ellen

I would recommend the quarter-turn method, too.

However, if the crust is going to be round, you might want to look at the "Pie Crust Bag," available from King Arthur. Dorie Greenspan includes it in her list of holiday gifts for bakers. She describes it as follows: "It looks like a slipcover for a pillow, but it helps you roll dough out to the perfect thickness and diameter. You put your disk of dough in this zippered plastic bag (I flour the bag) and roll, roll, roll. Even if you’ve never rolled out pie dough before, you can look like an ace with this gadget."

Sounds like a good idea.

Ellen

I discovered these (they come in two sizes) a few years ago and have sent them to my daughter, to friends, even those who have been baking for years and use them myself.

The "zipper" around the edge enables one to roll to just that thickness, with no extra thin spots that tear apart when bare dough is moved and it is very easy to place the upside-down pan or plate on the dough, after unzipping the top and inverting the whole thing.

Since I now have arthritis in both hands, anything that makes repetitive tasks easier and quicker is a huge bonus to me.

(I bought mine at the local kitchen "factory-outlet" store that has all these gadgets and goodies at discount prices.)

I have one set that I use for doughs containing cocoa, one set for "regular" dough and one set that I keep separate and use only for preparing doughs for vegetarian/vegan friends (and those with religious food restrictions).

I don't wash them, I roll them, stick them into Zip-Loc bags and store them in the freezer.

They do get a bit abraded after extended use (two years for one) so I have extras and simply toss them.

A couple of years ago, I sent my daughter a set, along with a silicon ring to keep the edges of pie crust from burning, and she was thrilled with them.

I did ruin one by leaving the pie crust on it while I cut out rounds to line mini tart pans. Naturally, it was a new one.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Aside from the 1/4 turn method noted, I also find that height makes a difference. Rolling out on a table where I can exert equal downward pressure seems to come out more even than on the countertop. Plus I am looking down on it and see where I am verring off center. I'm 5'-5" if that gives you a sense of reference.

depending on what kind of dough you're using:

1) quarter turns, as everyone has already mentioned

2) lift the dough when you do the quarter turns to make sure it isn't sticking

3) dust lightly and frequently with flour, enough so that it doesn't stick but not so much that you add too much flour to the dough

4) occasionally, flip the dough over and dust that side as well

the flour acts like mini ball bearings allowing the dough to slide across the surface instead of sticking. with some doughs (anything with water or any gluten development) this is really important because if it is sticking and you don't let it rest and decide to cut it into the shape you want, when you lift it, it will shrink.

another good tip from above is to start with the shape you want to end up with!

also, while i'm moving my dough around on the board (doing the quarter turns, etc) i'm feeling the edges of the dough to find out if there are places that are thicker or thinner so that i'm only really working the dough that needs to be worked rather than rolling over the same places again and again.