• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sugar tools

Tri2Cook

Tools that will work well enough to get started is what I'm after at this point. A warming box is simple enough but is there anything special about any of the other basic tools? For example, are blowing tubes just plain ol' tubing that I can buy at the hardware store, cut to length and smooth the ends or is there some design feature to them I don't know about? And can I just use any squeeze bulb with a length of tubing attached or is there something unique about those as well? I'm not trying to be cheap (well, that's not entirely true... I can't see paying the price for warming boxes when it's just a heat lamp on a frame), there's just nowhere to buy that sort of thing around here and getting them shipped from anywhere will take too long this time of year. Also, any other handy sugar tools that I can make/rig/substitute on my own that I haven't thought about?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Thanks Rob! Exactly what I needed. I'll pick up some 1/4" copper tubing today and I already have a burner, torches and silpats around. Rigging up a hot/cool capable hair dryer on a stand would be a simple job as well. I'm not sure exactly what pump the poster in that other thread was referring to (Honest, it's not mine! :blush:), but there are no sex shops around here so, unless there's another option someone knows about, I'll have to order a pump.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Thanks Rob! Exactly what I needed. I'll pick up some 1/4" copper tubing today and I already have a burner, torches and silpats around. Rigging up a hot/cool capable hair dryer on a stand would be a simple job as well. I'm not sure exactly what pump the poster in that other thread was referring to (Honest, it's not mine! :blush:), but there are no sex shops around here so, unless there's another option someone knows about, I'll have to order a pump.

i think the pump is sort of like the kind on a blood pressure cuff...it only pumps air in and doesn't let it come back out, but i could be wrong.

you really don't need a lot of fancy equipment, especially if you're just playing around to start.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about a lot of fancy equipment at this point but I do want to have some of the basics handy just to make life a little easier since I'm going to be figuring this stuff out without the help of an instructor (other than Notter's book of course). I'd like to take a class on it but that would require traveling and I can't take the time for that right now, too much going on with work this time of year. I'd like to do a chocolate class at some point as well. I always assumed since I'm comfy and confident with making desserts/pastry the step to chocolate work would come easy... I was wrong. The chocolate artists have my sincere respect.