• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with "A New Way To Cook"

hjshorter

Does anyone have any recommendations or favorites from this book? It's a seriously huge book, and I'm a little perplexed trying to figure out what to try first.

It's checked out through the 23rd, so it's got two weeks to convince me to buy it. :smile:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

page 338

Chicken with sherry vinegar sauce

this is absolutely wonderful. I have made it over and over.

Everytime I pull out the book to try something new I end up making this! :biggrin:

I think tomorrow I am going to try page 238 Grilled whole fish wrapped in pancetta and herbs........... :rolleyes:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I had no idea what this book was. So I did a search on Google. It's by Sally Schneider. Low fat etc etc.

Excerpt from the introduction:

The purpose of this book is to introduce you to a way of cooking truly delicious food simply, easily, healthfully, and with pleasure, and to enhance the joy in sharing it. The impetus to write it-a ten-year endeavor-dates back to when I was a young chef, cooking and eating in wonderful restaurants and home kitchens in France, Italy, and the heartland of America. I adored all the rich, sumptuous food but realized I had to face the realities of weight gain, food allergies, and fluctuating blood sugar. As I grew older I became progressively more concerned about the long-term effects of a rich diet on my health and well-being.../yada yada

In order to satisfy these deeper hungers, I realized I had to devise new cooking techniques to replace the high-fat cooking methods I grew up with. I brought all my professional experience to bear on translating the recipes of memory into healthier adaptations, experimenting by radically altering classic techniques or using them in a new way. Because I believe that prohibitions against delicious fats such as butter and cream and against sugar only increase desire, I exclude nothing in my cooking and do not count fat grams. Instead, I have devised new ways to use fat's special qualities to enhance the deeper experience of eating while respecting the realities of its impact on diet and health.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

In general I really like this book, even if I never cooked from it I would like it to read through. there are a lot of applications there that can be used to lower the fat content of your everyday cooking. Sometimes, though, I find the ingredients list and techiques too long or time consuming to be worth the couple grams of fat they would save.

Since I don't really need to watch my weight some recipes just don't seem worth the effort. But on the other hand if I could eat something that tastes as good as its full fat cousin with half the fat I would probably go for the lower fat. :biggrin:

The book is also great as a jumping board for ideas as some recipes are written more as suggestions then actual recipes.

IMHO, this is one of the very best "general purpose" cookbooks as of late.

(One can ignore the "low fat" angle. It's not that pronounced nor is it that different from how I cook anyway. In fact, do ignore this angle. For me, if I had to get rid of most of my cookbooks, this one would stay with me.)

Some favorites . . .

The "Fool-Proof" Roast Chicken (my standard roast chicken recipe)

French Winter Vegetable Soup (always a big hit)

Roasted root vegetables

The simple "steamed/saute" vegetable technique

Curry & Fennel Seed Broth (wonderful when you add some roasted root veggies)

The Tuscan-style roast pork loin

The rubs & essences (as noted by marie-louise)

Garlic Soup w/ Pasta & Ham

But aside from specific recipes, one of the book's strength is the various "composed" sections that allow you to develop your own recipes.

Can I gush more?

I got this book for Christmas last year, and I refer to it often.

The Vinegar Chicken is excellent, as torakris says.

I also enjoy the Crispy Salmon with Lentils and Balsamic Sauce--you gotta' like fish skin :wub: to like this preparation.

There is another recipe that I've prepared more than once (I don't have the book handy right now). It's also salmon, skin-on, started on the stove and finished in the oven, with a saffron-curry toasted rice that's fantastic.

The rice (minus the saffron, usually) has become one of my standby's.

The Mushroom Ragout is delicious, and I believe it's meatless. I've served this with frisee et lardons (not her recipe, although if my memory serves me, there is a recipe for this salad in her book).

Also good are the foccacia recipes, the Rosemary Breadsticks, and the cobbler recipes.

Hey, I'll strike you a deal. You try her gravlax recipe, and report back.

This book is worth buying, and not just borrowing. IMO.

Noise is music. All else is food.

I made the Asian slaw from it last night and it was great!

Only 3/4 teaspoon of oil for a 4 person serving is great for a coleslaw!

The dressing had lemongrass, ginger, lime, nampla, etc and was great.

I made the Asian slaw from it last night and it was great!

Only 3/4 teaspoon of oil for a 4 person serving is great for a coleslaw!

The dressing had lemongrass, ginger, lime, nampla, etc and was great.

OK, I wondered if this was it.

I've thought of making this before. I'll try it now.

Hey, I'll strike you a deal.  You try her gravlax recipe, and report back.

Sure thing - just as soon as salmon goes under $10 a pound. :blink:

This book is worth buying, and not just borrowing.  IMO.

OK, I think you, Kristin and Matthew have convinced me. It goes on the Amazon wish list.

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

You try her gravlax recipe, and report back. ....Sure thing - just as soon as salmon goes under $10 a pound

If you are within an easy commute of a Costco locally, you might just find fresh, boneless, skinless slabs of salmon to make your own gravlax ... and, more than likely, at considerably less than $10 a pound ... here in Atlanta, it runs between $3-4 per pound and I buy several packages to make my gravlax ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I've been obsessed with this cookbook for the last several months, after picking it up at a used bookstore... I think one of the reasons I like this cookbook so much is because of her focus how to enhance & intensify the flavors in a dish in fairly simple, healthful ways. We've had such success with the recipes that this has become the default resource to go to to decide what we're going to cook.

As far as specific recipes -

I agree with MatthewB,

Tuscan Style Pork Roast is excellent

Other major hits at our house:

miso-sake glazed salmon (we then grilled the salmon) - my husband said it was the best salmon he's ever eaten!

Roasted Whole Fish (red snapper) with blood orange & olive oil sauce (my first attempt at a whole fish!)

coriander-crusted scallops in fennel broth

Basic Polenta - cooked in the oven (great for dinner parties when other things are on the stove)

rice with fennel seeds, bay leaves, and cloves - we'll make this over and over again

pasta with rosemary-roasted eggplant and ricotta salata - simple but absolutely delicious

Steam-roasted leeks (the first time I've cooked leeks for a side dish that weren't stringy)

odds-and-ends gratin (for leftover veggies)

Tonight I'm going to make "The Best Part of a Potato Gratin" (even though it's summer and I'll have the oven on, oh well)

Glad to hear the recommendations for the sherry chicken - I've been eyeing that recipe for a while. Now I'll definitely have to try it.

The only "flop" we've had was the pan-smoked salmon - we used the cast-iron skillet and chiles to generate the smoke. But the salmon ended up tasting metallic. I figure we must have done something wrong (maybe the skillet is underseasoned or we should try wood chips not chiles). Schneider says somewhere it's one of her favorite recipes in the book! Has anyone ever tried this one successfully?

Jules

The only "flop" we've had was the pan-smoked salmon - we used the cast-iron skillet and chiles to generate the smoke.  But the salmon ended up tasting metallic.  I figure we must have done something wrong (maybe the skillet is underseasoned or we should try wood chips not chiles).  Schneider says somewhere it's one of her favorite recipes in the book! Has anyone ever tried this one successfully? 

I think you might want to use a "non-reactive" pan for this.

Let's see if others agree.

This is possibly my favorite cookbook. I use her pizza dough recipe sometimes as often as once a week. Other favorites:

- buttermilk mashed potatoes

-"fried" onions

- parsnip fries

- polenta with olivada

- the orzo risotto

- curry crusted shrimp (which I make most often with scallops, and serve with the curry ginger rice)

-rosemary biscuits

And her pastry dough is foolproof, even if it does make you obnoxiously ask people to guess how much butter is in it- or maybe that part is just me.

pasta with rosemary-roasted eggplant and ricotta salata - simple but absolutely delicious

I forgot, I made this too, only I couldn't find ricotta salata, so I used goat's cheese.

Ditto on the miso sake glazed salmon.

Also, I would also second the person who said "ignore the low-fat part of the cooking." This is one of the most sensible cookbooks i've read in regards to "low fat cooking." She still uses just the right amount of fat where it will give the maximum amount of flavor.

Heather--I've been recommending this cookbook as one of the two or three best for new cooks. Buy it, read it, cook from it. Also buy Jody Adams and Judy Rodgers and you'll be all set.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Heather--I've been recommending this cookbook as one of the two or three best for new cooks.  Buy it, read it, cook from it.  Also buy Jody Adams and Judy Rodgers and you'll be all set.

Steve, I've got your vibe here.

However, I don't have Jody Adams.

Why should I buy it? I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Matthew, that was exactly what I was going to ask.  Also (though off topic) the Judy Rodgers intimidates the crap out of me- I've finally worked up the nerve to go for the Caesar salad this week, but any other recommendations from that book?

I have started a Zuni Cafe Cookbook thread, lets post about that book over there! :biggrin:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=26323

Last night was almost entirely from A new Way to Cook by Sally Schneider, recipes from the book are followed by page #'s

Chicken with garlic, thyme and olives (page 306) this calls for a whole chicken to be baked in foil with all of the other ingredients, I didn't have a whole chicken so I substituted cornish hens but the shorter cooking time meant that the garlic didn't get all nice and roasty sad.gif . It was a great dish, very tender but not one I would serve for guests because of the pale look of the chicken.

Slow roasted tomatoes (page 38) these were wonderful!

Rosemary, lemon, and garlic focaccia (page 366) this was wonderful too but next time I will double up on the toppings and look forthe thinnest skinned lemon I can find

navy bean and cherry tomato salad, the beans were prepared by her method on page 92 and this is the best (most flavorful) beans I have ever had

sauteed green beans

fb54cf4f.jpg

fb54cf48.jpg

fb54cf41.jpg

edited for pictures

Edited by torakris (log)