• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to get hitched?

fitz

Hi folks,

Since I haven't been 'round Jersey in almost a year, I find myself wondering if there are any wonderful, unique, off-the-beaten-path places anyone would recommend for wedding/reception.

We're trying to plan something relatively convenient for folks spread out between Rockaway, NJ and Long Island, and our immediate thought is that someplace like a winery would be appealing.

As for time frames, we're probably talking somewhere around six months from now, and for maybe 80-100 people, tops.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Fitz (yes, the chick...) :rolleyes:

An odd alien wench

Fitz, many years ago I used to work for an outfit called Sterling Affair Caterers. They are still around, located in Edgewater NJ. It's an off-premise operation. The Chef/owner is a guy named Bernard Norget, who used to own a restaurant in NYC called 'La Folie'. You should be able to 411 for a phone number.

Anyway This guy used to do some pretty intersting locales for his functions. He was a regular at the aircraft carrier Intrepid, but by far the most intersting site (for me), that we used to work regularly, was the rotunda library at Columbia University. Beautiful space, IMO. Very interesting and classy.

FWIW

Nick :smile:

Downtown Jersey City has a gorgeous view of NYC. C-side in the Harbor Financial Center can cater a wedding in the atrium there. The Hyatt is also there. NJ Bride magazine just came out with their fall/winter issue and has a section listing unusual locations such as museums, gardens, mansions etc. They also have a website at :

CLICK HERENEW JERSEY BRIDE

Congratulations and it's great to see you here.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

congratulations, fitz!

You might also consider Binghamton's restaurant in Edgewater, NJ. About ten minutes south of the GW Bridge, which makes it about equidistant from the mentioned locations.

Converted ferryboat with several rooms of varying sizes. Drop dead views of NYC skyline, especially nice in the late afternoon. We've been there for several functions and enjoyed it immensely. Even considered it for our own wedding, 25 years plus a week ago.

We attended a wonderful wedding two years ago at Benmarl Vineyards in Marlboro NY. Top of the mountain, 100 mile views in all directions. Two significant negatives: located above Newburgh NY, so it's not close. And, the rutted approach road will challenge everything short of a high clearance SUV, unless they've improved it.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Thanks for the congrats and the input! Obviously, we've got our work cut out for us, especially considering that we're trying to accomplish this in a relatively short time frame (before May and June, when all of the twenty year olds who can afford to take a few years to plan their weddings are monopolizing the caterers!). :biggrin:

I'll definitely look into what's been suggested so far; in fact, I can't believe I forgot about the Binghamton. When I lived in Edgewater and West New York, I always loved going there. I know I've heard some folks make really vicious comments about the food and the service, but I've always been happy enough about just being right on the river that nothing much ever bothered me...

An odd alien wench

I can't help with a location but I know a great (travel) Minister (Unitarian) and a great Rabbi (traveling) both female who have done really impressive services! Best Wishes!

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

I worked (DJ') over 25 wedding& Parties at the Snuff Mill.

It's a wonderful setting even on a cold blustery dayl but it's breathtaking in early spring & summer.

http://www.nybg.org/specev/mill.html

http://www.nybg.org/specev/specieldetail.html#Terrace

This place used to rent out the hall- amazing place- but no no smoking, wonderful gardens.

http://www.nyc-arts.org/nyc-arts/name/name...e_c/aadams.html

Best of Luck .