• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Name That Cookie

Katie Meadow

I will describe the madeleine of my childhood. I can't remember what they were called and I haven't seen them for a million years. I grew up on the East Coast but haven't lived there for 40 years. My mother would buy these almost every week during the 50's and perhaps the early 6O's. What were they called and do they still exist?

Here goes: They came in a large flat grid, and were easily broken apart into separate cookies like large tiles--maybe square, maybe rectangular, I'm not sure. The "grout" line was relatively wide and easy to break. The cookie was a very simple, waferish thing with a taste maybe resembling an ice-cream cone (not a sugar cone, the other kind.) There was a smooth peanut butter filling inside. The filled cookie was no more than a half inch thick, uniformly smooth and level on both sides. I believe they were sold in a plastic wrapper, not a box. I don't remember ever seeing this cookie with any variations--i.e. no choc coating, no crunchy style, no nuthin' but perfectly basic. And basically perfect. I would not be at all surprised to find they don't taste as good as I remember, but it's driving me nuts that I can't name them.

I have another one. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of this cookie. I asked my mom and she remembers the cookie being my favorite when I was little.

It was made by Nabisco and it looked like 2 vanilla wafers filled with marshmallow. It was in a green box, packaged like Mallomars. Yhey were kinda like a naked Mallomar.

Does any one remember the name of this cookie?

Nutter Butter Cream Patties!!!!

Wafer Style, not sandwich style

http://shop.acmemarkets.com/shop/assets/pr...04400000699.jpg

I love nutter butters but have never seen their wafers....those look sooo good, even tho the picture is like 1 inch :-p Where do you usually find them?

All the supermarkets near me have always sold them since I was a little girl...

I always peel them open, plop all that PB Cream on a plate, eat the wafer part, then eat the blob of PB Cream...

mmmmmmmmmmm

I have a package for my son at my house right now:

http://i1.tinypic.com/80mbe4i.jpg

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I have another one.  I cannot for the life of me remember the name of this cookie.  I asked my mom and she remembers the cookie being my favorite when I was little. 

It was made by Nabisco and it looked like 2 vanilla wafers filled with marshmallow.  It was in a green box, packaged like Mallomars.  Yhey were kinda like a naked Mallomar.

Does any one remember the name of this cookie?

Were these them? OMG, I loved these cookies. Every once in a while, the memory of these cookies pop in my mind.

According to this site, Nabisco no longer makes them.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany