• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yankee Pot Roast

jhlurie

Well, they're not my favourite. (Udon, soba, sa ho, tteok, ramen, ziti, linguine...) But they are wonderful with a pot roast (by which I think we mean a pot au feu)?

Buttered egg noodles with wild mushrooms and a poached egg is pretty fine as well.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

the egg noodles are *the* most important part.

NO no no. KASHA, Kasha, kasha. Egg noodles? Feh. only for the leftover kasha, to make kasha varnishkes.

He did say YANKEE pot roast. Not YIDDISHER pot roast.

Now as to the varnishkes... what size varniskes do you use, and what grain of kasha do you prefer...

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Interesting. To me Yankee pot roast is not brisket. It's sometimes chuck. But most often it's one of the round cuts. The shape of a brisket is all wrong for what I consider the traditional New England-ish presentation of this dish. The other thing that I think distinguishes it from plain-vanilla pot roast is the addition of vegetables part-way through cooking. I was not aware that noodles were required, and I've been served the dish in some pretty traditional New England homes (I went to college in Vermont, after all) where the starch was potatoes.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Fat Guy's description is pretty much how I remember it. The egg noodles are far from universal, from what I understand.

Oddly enough... here's a link to a Yankee Pot Roast Recipe which seems to use salt pork or bacon as part of the mix: http://www.yankeeharvest.com/recipes/recipe40.html

That's just bizarre, although apparently its just the pork fat they want.

Bay leaves and thyme. I always remember Bay leaves and thyme in it though.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"