• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I need to make chocolate look like bacon

Doodad

Ok, I have a weird, but good desert idea that I want to explore. I can handle the fried egg part of the equation, but have no chocolate experience for the bacon. If you were going to make chocolate into the shape and look of bacon how would you do it?

I was thinking you melt dark, reg, and white chocolate and pour out on wax paper. Swirl or streak with a chopstick and then chill. Remove when hardened and cover with a touch of simple syrup foam to look fried. Will that work? :unsure:

I would start with a 55%ish chocolate - search around and you'll find a nice redish hue chocolate. Then I would brush on a white with a bit of the 55% melted in to make it a pailer version of the dark - to look like the fat. I would use the brush because it would provide more control. But then I would spread the chocolate on a saran wrap that has pennies or dimes underneath it to give the rippling texture that occurs on the edges.

Then I would put it between two slices of bread with big tomato and lettuce!

I would start with a 55%ish chocolate - search around and you'll find a nice redish hue chocolate.  Then I would brush on a white with a bit of the 55% melted in to make it a pailer version of the dark - to look like the fat.  I would use the brush because it would provide more control.  But then I would spread the chocolate on a saran wrap that has pennies or dimes underneath it to give the rippling texture that occurs on the edges. 

Then I would put it between two slices of bread with big tomato and lettuce!

Thanks for the coin idea; it sounds good. But, would that make it hard to get off the wrap without breaking? I really don't know how to do chocolate and have never tried. How thick and how long does it take to cool? Pick it up by hand, turn the wrap over......?

Sorry for just jumping in without any suggestions, but I wanted to tell you that it's a really cute idea for dessert.

Thanks. The egg whites will be frozen coconut cream disks and I am gonna top it with mango custard thickend with lecithin or xanthum or something.

You can add color to the chocolate. You want to get the right kinds of color because some of them will cause the choco to sieze. Powdered color is always ok. Or just ask for the right stuff at the cake/candy supply store.

Foam I don't know about. I think I'd experiment with piping gel for a greasy look.

Honestly, I think I'd mold a strip of bacon out of fondant or gum paste that will dry hard and use that to be the mold, lay plastic wrap over that. Or make a mold out of silicone or buy a mold or use real thick bacon. And I think using the end of dowel sticks to make the bacon ripples would give a closer to life version.

Me, I would pipe the chocolate onto the form and then tamp it to get it to release the piping lines. Agh yeah, you might wanna get a mold for this. 'Cause tamping it is gonna make the frilly parts thin.

No no no you can still use the saran wrap over a piece of bacon or dowel ends if you can then use the underside up.

Geez I'd use fondant.

Ok, I have a weird, but good desert idea that I want to explore.  I can handle the fried egg part of the equation, but have no chocolate experience for the bacon.  If you were going to make chocolate into the shape and look of bacon how would you do it?

Why not be authentic and use real chocolate covered bacon? It has apparently become quite a big thing, I have seen it on tv and read about it here and elsewhere in the blogisphere. It even has the acronym CCB, kinda rolls off the tongue like EVOO.

Mind you I have yet to taste the stuff so I can't vouch for the flavour impact it might have on your desert.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Ok, I have a weird, but good desert idea that I want to explore.  I can handle the fried egg part of the equation, but have no chocolate experience for the bacon.  If you were going to make chocolate into the shape and look of bacon how would you do it?

Why not be authentic and use real chocolate covered bacon? It has apparently become quite a big thing, I have seen it on tv and read about it here and elsewhere in the blogisphere. It even has the acronym CCB, kinda rolls off the tongue like EVOO.

Mind you I have yet to taste the stuff so I can't vouch for the flavour impact it might have on your desert.

Worlds are colliding, Peter.

I just think I need some kinda flour with it. I mean I can see eating a blueberry muffin or pancake with bacon on the side. Then maybe a chocolate chip muffin. But just straight bacon and chocolate? Scary! Well I haven't tried it so I'll reserve judgement but I'm not looking forward to it either.

How about chocolate filet then? Chocolate Ahi tuna? Chocolate fois for the ultimate? Chocolate covered truffles? Now that's a maybe.

Yuck yuck and double yuck. :biggrin::rolleyes:

When I was searching for molds or ideas I saw the same thing. I am sorry, but as a guy who has problems with syrup on his sausage....... :wacko:

The egg whites will be frozen coconut cream disks and I am gonna top it with mango custard thickend with lecithin or xanthum or something.

Kinda like THIS (scroll to May 18)?

Wylie Dufresne's "egg" (coconut white/carrot yolk).

I like the chocolate with real bacon idea. A little unexpected twist. They think they're getting something that looks like one thing but tastes like another and suddenly there's something that looks like a copy of bacon that will taste like chocolate and Hey! It tastes like bacon too!

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

When I was at the Pastry Forum they said you give people a certain ratio of known flavors, then you can inject something new. I think chocolate covered bacon is off the chart. Way way off the chart. Like some of that weird ass freaky ice cream they make on Iron Chef, some of it is surprisingly good while most of it sucks.

I agree with you on chocolate covered bacon sounding a little scary but chocolate infused with bacon or sprinkled with bacon powder or something just to put the idea in the flavor sounds like it would be nice (with the disclaimer that I haven't tried Vosges bacon chocolate so maybe it's not as good as I'm picturing it).

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

The egg whites will be frozen coconut cream disks and I am gonna top it with mango custard thickend with lecithin or xanthum or something.

I like the chocolate with real bacon idea. A little unexpected twist. They think they're getting something that looks like one thing but tastes like another and suddenly there's something that looks like a copy of bacon that will taste like chocolate and Hey! It tastes like bacon too!

Yep that is the idea. I am going to use dry ice on the coconut and at serving to simulate the "piping hot" breakfast. The mango custard I am going to shape in ring molds and serve hot.

Where did you get the image and do you know how it is done ie what chemicals for each texture? I know you won't believe this, especially after reading all the Marcel versus Wylie "controversy" in searching for you image source, but I thought of it on my own. I figured egg shape was done by somebody and should have guessed that coconut would have occurred to everyone. His version sounds more savory than dessert. Oh well, now I am definitely make it work since Memphis helped me with the molds.

Where did you get the image and do you know how it is done ie what chemicals for each texture?  I know you won't believe this, especially after reading all the Marcel versus Wylie "controversy" in searching for you image source, but I thought of it on my own.  I figured egg shape was done by somebody and should have guessed that coconut would have occurred to everyone.  His version sounds more savory than dessert.  Oh well, now I am definitely make it work since Memphis helped me with the molds.

I don't doubt at all that you thought it up entirely on your own. I assumed that from the beginning, you can feel the excitement of the idea in your initial post. I've thought up lots of ideas I've never seen or read about only to find 10,000 of the same thing already done if I run a search on google. It can be frustrating sometimes. I didn't post that picture (I don't remember where I got it, it was already on my computer) to be smug and point out that it's been done, just thought it might get you sniffing around in the right direction if you were looking for ideas on the execution. If I remember correctly, Wylie's "egg" uses of a coconut foam for the "white".

You could use an iota carrageenan (unlike gelatin and kappa, it's freeze-stable if you wanted to do them ahead and freeze them) for a very soft gel or do something as simple as frozen mousse (that won't lose it's shape as it softens like a frozen custard). No special chemicals required for good ol' mousse. Of course there's the alginate sphere option for the "breakable yolk" but that's putting you in a time crunch if you're going it alone for a dinner party or group event because you can't do them too far ahead. Best of luck with it, sounds fun!

dont forget the pound cake toast and raspberry puree ketchup....the surreal gourmet did this 10 years ago

also Green Eggs and Ham was a full slice of honeydew with a canned apricot in the center draped with prosciutto

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I didn't post that picture (I don't remember where I got it, it was already on my computer) to be smug and point out that it's been done, just thought it might get you sniffing around in the right direction if you were looking for ideas on the execution. If I remember correctly, Wylie's "egg" uses of a coconut foam for the "white".

I know; sorry if it came across that way. When you sent it I was in awe. THAT'S IT! like Charlie Brown.

I am shooting for Christmas dinner at this point. I ordered the molds last night. I want the "yolk" hot that is why I am thinking I need some chemical help to hold the shape. I plan to keep the "white" frozen, hit it with a little dry ice at service and hopefully when I plop the hot custard on it I get steam from the "piping hot" egg.

Man, his white and you can tell it is a suspended foam it just spot on. I wonder how many takes that took?

Go HERE and download the free pdf file at the bottom of the page (might as well read your way down to it, they took the time to provide it so the least we can do is read what they have to say about it). It will tell you a lot about hydrocolloids, their uses and has a lot of sample recipes. You will almost definitely work out something that will accomplish what you're wanting to do from the info it provides. If you have time, browse around the site a bit too. There's a lot of interesting stuff to be found.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)