• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktail Sauce?

laurelm

hmm... I dunno. To me, horseradish is what makes cocktail sauce cocktail sauce.

Do you have the other components that you add to ketchup? (lemon, Tobasco, woersteshire )

The wasabi sounded like a good idea. Too bad you don''t have any of that.

Here is a wild card. Have no clue of it might work.. What about some fresh ginger? It's a root. and it's got some bite..

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

It isn't what I would call cocktail sauce but what about some Tabasco (or other hot sauce), the chipotle tabasco could be nice here. My husband used to make a spicy ketchup like this, he would also add lots of black pepper for even more quick.

A squeeze of lemon juice may help make it more cocktail sauce-y.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Puree a white onion and two or three cloves of garlic and squeeze out the liquid. Mix in ketchup and tomato paste, lots of tabasco. Season with salt and pepper and maybe a bit of dry tarragaon. Add some lemon juice to taste.

See how that works for you and adjust up or down with hot grainy mustard.

You aren't going to get it exact... it's like trying make Chimichurri without parsley.

Well I took what I had - ketchup, Worcestershire, lots of lemon, cayenne pepper, franks red hot sauce (but had to use very little, affected the taste)

It did not have the bite of your typical cocktail sauce, but it was very good and everyone enjoyed it (they did not notice the difference), I did, but liked it.

I still will pick up some horseradish next shopping trip. It is one of those things I hardly ever run out of, so I dont know it is missing until I really need it.

edited to add- Thank you for all your suggestions!!

Edited by laurelm (log)

You do not say if you wanted your cocktail sauce to accompany shrimp or oysters. And, I realize, the occasion has passed.

But if it was shrimp cocktails and if you again find yourself horseradishless, click here, and then scroll down to Cocteles de Camarones:

Mexican Shrimp Cocktails

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Just breakdown and go to the store and get some horseradish!

Other than that, get some Hoffman House Shrimp and Seafood Cocktail sauce. Its the best commercial brand I've ever had. Handy when you don't have time to make it from scratch.

doc