• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating Out in Cardiff- any ideas?

So- for some mad reason, I have managed to talk myself into taking the family for a day out, to get away from the builders, and Cardff has been nominated as our destination for the day.(That day being tomorrow!!)

When I went last year to Cardiff, I ate at Woods Brasserie, and unlike the lovely couple on the table next to me who seemed to be having the meal of the century, I wasn't exactly blown away- could have been in a Cafe Rouge or similar flavour.

So can anyone recommend somewhere else to eat? We are driving from the Cotswolds, so can make a diversion on the way for a good meal. (Lets face it hubbie and I are mainly going to keep daughter happy, so would like to get a decent meal out of it!!! :raz: )

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

I met a couple of Cardiff residents last year who raved about Le Gallois.

mmm.....rave might be going it a bit but each to his own. Try the Old Post Office in St Fagans (4 miles outside Cardiff). It has a new chef who's revamped the menu and tweaked the prices to a much more reasonable level. Hubby and I had dinner there 2 weeks ago (mains are £11 - £15) and very nice it was too!

Le Gallois is good (I've posted about this previously) but it is on the pricey side for the level of cooking.