• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McDonald's Angus Burger

steakas

These had escaped my notice, but I'm eager to sample one. I wonder if they're everywhere or just in test markets.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I know that I'm sometimes the fly in the olive oil but let me ask what is the "big deal" about a burger that weighs one-third of a pound (or, if one prefers 151.3 grams).

You guys should visit Israel - at Doris in Rosh Pina the standard burger is 350 grams and is made from fine Charolais beef and, if you like, will be topped with fine buffalo Mozarella or ripe Camembert; at Dixie in Tel Aviv the 330 gram burger is smothered in fried onions and za'atar; etc........

Let me know before you arrive. We'll make the outings together.

The largest burger I've had was at Fat Mo's in Nashville, Tennessee, where the Fat Mo's Super Deluxe Burger is 27 ounces. That's 765.44 grams, not including probably another pound in toppings and bread. But I think the interesting thing about the McDonald's burger is not so much its size but that it's made from Angus beef and represents at least an attempt to market a product based on quality.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I know that I'm sometimes the fly in the olive oil but let me ask what is the "big deal" about a burger that weighs one-third of a pound (or, if one prefers 151.3 grams). 

You guys should visit Israel - at Doris in Rosh Pina the standard burger is 350 grams and is made from fine Charolais beef and, if you like, will be topped with fine buffalo Mozarella or ripe Camembert; at Dixie in Tel Aviv the 330 gram burger is smothered in fried onions and za'atar; etc........

Let me know before you arrive.  We'll make the outings together.

its the quality of the meat that interests (although Burger King and Hardees have both used Angus before..and might still do...in some of the burgers).

there are plenty of large burgers available. McHale's had a pound and a half burger. the regular burgers are over a pound at Bar 89. Burger King offers a 3/4 pound burger..etc.

ok, I just tried it, the Mushroom and Swiss variant.

I had forgotten that they put mayo on everything...would have asked for it without if I had remembered.

don't bother, there's nothing to say. as you would expect, they overcook the hell out of it. there's no difference between shit beef and good beef when it's been cooked medium-well or well..(which I believe is simple corporate policy...can't specify otherwise (standard for the big chains...they simply follow the USDA suggestions...which are aimed at hypothetical health risks...not flavor)).

now could I have my lunch back?

Edited by Nathan (log)

Tried an "Angus Deluxe" Third Pounder today, and it was quite poor. The photos on McDonald's website make it look sort of like an irregularly shaped handmade hamburger, but it turns out to be a compressed disk of meat similar to a Whopper patty. There's no noticeable benefit from the Angus product.

We have tried the Hardee's version of an Angus burger a couple times when on the road to North Carolina. The first time was actually pretty good (bearing in mind that this is a fast food chain and it ain't gonna be served medium rare). The second time was not as good.

I'm pretty sure the difference was the first one was fresh, just made, and the second one had been sitting around a bit. I did think, however, that the meat was a step above the usual fast food offering, both in flavor and texture.

I just saw this on the msnbc special, they were talking how new menu items take about 2 years to hit the market, isnt that well after the trends, when did BK and hardees make these huge burgers?? My father is a former franchisee so I have grown up with McDonalds, seen all the failed new items, and the only successful items I remember are the iced coffee and snack wrap (if thats even a success) and those are both brand new. Where is all there research and development going?

R&D appears to be going to the non-fried and presumably lighter side of the menu: deli sandwiches (which don't appear to be readily available in the US) and new salads.

Are the wraps that successful? The last successful product launches I remember are McNuggets and the McChicken. On the burger side, I guess it would be the Quarter Pounder.

Still remember the launch of the McLean. :rolleyes:

From the TV commercials, I think we're to understand that NY is a test market.

It's got this guy in Texas with his wife on the porch of their house (suspension of disbelief! hooray!). He tells us that NY is a test market and we better eat up and like it, because he wants them down there too. And then, he plays a little guitar/ukelele-type instrument and warbles about it a bit, and then his wife plays the kazoo through the bridge.

And then the announcer tell us our beef-lovin' nation needs us to step up to the plate.

Not that plate. No way, no how. Nuh-uh.

(BTW, the website seems to say that SoCal was the first test market. Interesting...)

Edited by feedmec00kies (log)

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

We were a test market for them back in March of this year and now they're a regular menu item.

I agree, the commercials leave a lot to be desired ("We're lucky to be a test market so we just gotta try one").

The burgers are just okay and not really worth their price.

Apparently, the Angus Burgers (and chicken wraps) are a success for McDonald's (I believe I linked to an aritcle about this in a subsequent post on the above-linked discussion).

It's funny but they couldn't have picked a worse sounding name for a burger. Jack-in-the-Box has commercials making fun of "angus"...

In a bussiness meeting at Jack-in-the-Box corporate headquarters. Jack is standing in front of a map showing the cuts of beef on a cow.

One of the employees in the meeting asks:

"Jack, can you point out the angus?"

Jack is shown standing near the rear end of the map/cow and replies "Uh, no, not really". The rest of the room erupts in laughter.

Thinking like a 10 year old...Angus Third = Anus Turd. :shock:

It's too easy of a target.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I'm surprised they're playing old commercials then! :shock: I didn't know about this, but I don't usually go to McDonalds and I don't think I ever saw them upstate.

Actually, I hadn't heard about this stupid Angus craziness until my cousin came in late to a casual family gathering with my mom's side in Chinatown. His mom, being as crazy and overbearing as all my mom's side is, asked him if he ate and he said, "Yeah, I had some Angus Burger at McDonalds." Someone (my dad?) asked, "So, how was it?" He was unimpressed.

Then I started seeing those stupid commercials. :wacko:

He he he he... anus turd. :raz:

Edited by feedmec00kies (log)

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

"Angus" is close to meaningless as an indicator of beef quality. It's just marketing-speak.

If they were claiming to use "Certified Angus Beef", that would be different. CAB is a recognized quality standard that's enforced by inspection. http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/product/grades.php

But saying you use "Angus" is like saying you use "beef". There's nothing about Angus that's automatically any better than generic, especially in burger.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.