• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

not-too-pricey seafood restaurant

deensiebat

i'm going to be heading back to nyc from portland for a visit next week, and would love to have some of the atlantic ocean seafood i've been missing on the pacific coast -- steamers, bluefish, lobster, etc. i'm on a pretty tight schedule, so no daytrips to long island -- any recommendations in manhattan or brooklyn or queens? this trip is already straining my budget a bit, so reasonably-priced = good (plus since i haven't had these fishes in forever, simple preparation sounds better than fancypants).

Also, everyone's favorite Turkish chef, Orhan Yegan, is back with a new fish restaurant called Sea Salt...down on 2nd Avenue and 6th Street. Haven't been, but some early word has been pretty favorable.

Esca will certainly get you some of the city's best and freshest Atlantic Ocean fish.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

for lobster def go to Francisco - it's their speciality and it's quite affordable there -

Wow, raji, I'd never heard of this place - how long has it been around? Was it called something else previously?

Tasty Travails - My Blog

thanks for all the recommendations -- definitely in line with what i'm looking for.  mary's sounds esp good.... what is market price for a 1.5 lb lobster these days?  i have no idea.

I think you should expect to pay around $35 - $40 for a lobster of that size...I had a lobster roll 2 weeks ago - $25.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Francisco Centro Vasco.. yeah it's funny I'd walked by it 100 times at 23rd... I wanna say... 7th? with it's neon lobster in the window, and only finally went in 5 years ago. It's an otherwise unremarkable Spanish vinyl-seated dressed-up-waiters type restaurant, but it's lobsters are huge and delish. The other food there is just meh, so you go there for lobster and pig out.

thanks for all the recommendations -- definitely in line with what i'm looking for.  mary's sounds esp good.... what is market price for a 1.5 lb lobster these days?  i have no idea.

I think you should expect to pay around $35 - $40 for a lobster of that size...I had a lobster roll 2 weeks ago - $25.

I think they're even cheaper at FCV. Very cheap, very very good. Check it out

I happen to like City Crab.

-Mark-

I strongly disagree. And its certainly not reasonably priced (for the quality)

Mary's fish camp, pearl, mermaid inn, hearth....

I strongly agree with your disagreement. City Crab doesn't belong alongside most of the names on this list.

Pearl, Ed's Lobster Bar and Mary's Fish Camp are several levels better, and probably cheaper, too. It's amazing City Crab stays open in this town, and I think it does so mostly on tourist dollars and people who recently moved to Gramercy, etc.

If you are looking for inexpensive lobster, I would try Sevilla, a spanish place across the street from Mary's. My wife always gets the lobster there and says its very good. The lobster is $20, plus they make a great shrimp ajillo. If you are looking for seafood generally, I second the recs for Pearl and Mary's (I prefer Pearl), plus you may want to check out Aquagrill.

• 2 weeks later...
Also, everyone's favorite Turkish chef, Orhan Yegan, is back with a new fish restaurant called Sea Salt...down on 2nd Avenue and 6th Street.  Haven't been, but some early word has been pretty favorable.[...]

This was the location of the short-lived and, by me, much-missed Taksim East Village. Is Orhan Yegan the same chef? If so, I'll go to Sea Salt very soon.

Michael aka "Pan"