• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which recipe would work for a 11 x 16 pan?

oli

I would like to make a chocolate sheet cake for a department party and I have a 11 x 16 sheet pan. Will Sue B cake or the Texas sheet cake work or do I need to modify the recipe?

Thanks

I would like to make a chocolate sheet cake for a department party and I have a 11 x 16 sheet pan.  Will Sue B cake or the Texas sheet cake work or do I need to modify the recipe?

Thanks

If you know the volume of the pan that is supposed to be used you can extrapalate the volume of batter. You may need to adjust time or liquids as larger thin pans cook quicker. I know from the past that a recipe for two 8" round cakes makes one good whole sheet if that is of any help.

Living hard will take its toll...

My mother used to use the sheet pan whenever she made a Texas Sheet Cake - it was a thin cake but it filled the pan.

Will I have a problem if the sheet pan I am using, I think is called a jelly roll pan, doesn't have much of a lip such as overflowing?

Would I have a thicker cake with the Sue B. over the Texas sheet cake?

Edited by oli (log)

I think the pan she used had a one inch lip on it (we called it the old pizza pan because my father used to work in a bakery while in school and he snagged one of these incredible, heavy, sturdy pans. My mother still has it!) You should be ok; I don' t know the Sue B recipe, but I've made the TX sheet cake a few times myself many many years ago and never had it overflow the pan.

I think the pan she used had a one inch lip on it (we called it the old pizza pan because my father used to work in a bakery while in school and he snagged one of these incredible, heavy, sturdy pans.  My mother still has it!)  You should be ok; I don' t know the Sue B recipe, but I've made the TX sheet cake a few times myself many many years ago and never had it overflow the pan.

Thanks, since I've done the Sue B cake before and know what it tastes like, I will purchase a collar for my pan and that should take care of any possiblities of overflow.

Texas Sheet cake for another time.