• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Roast Squab

markk

I was in a very favorite restaurant in NYC's Chinatown 2 weeks ago pigging out on soft shell crabs and lobster (and pea leaves) and I noticed the Chinese family next to us was having a whole roast squab.

I'm just wild for squab, and have it all the time in French restaurants (though the breast is usually served rare, separately from the legs, which are well done).

What's the Chinese preparation like?

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Which of the dozens of Chinese recipes would you like? The deep fried, the roasted, the minced in lettuce cups, the loo'ed in master sauce.... ??

I have made squab about 6 times in my life(due to unavailability) and my favourite is one of the several marinaded and deep fried versions. Basic marinade is soy sauce, a little sugar, wine, I also like some 5-spice OR star anise in the marinade. Deep fry, cut up and serve with pepper salt.

Which of the dozens of Chinese recipes would you like? The deep fried, the roasted, the minced in lettuce cups, the loo'ed in master sauce.... ??

The family next to us was having a whole roasted sqaub, and I mean whole - neck, head, and all. I wondered what the preparation is like and how it compares to the ducks that they roast and hang in the noodle shops.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I've only ever had Chinese pigeon a couple of times and both times were at especially good banquets. The ones i think you're talking about are cooked whole and taste very similar to Cantonese roast duck. They are little drier than duck because they are less fatty but are much crispier, i remember enjoying these very much. I believe they are marinated then cooked not by deep-frying but by ladling hot oil over them until they are well done not rare.

Found a picture of one on flickr photo

The head is particularly crispy...

I've only had pigeon soup in a Chinese Restaurtant in NYC. It was so-so.

Although, I have had quail quite a bit. I love it marinated and fried Veitnamese style.

Do they taste a like?

I was in a very favorite restaurant in NYC's Chinatown 2 weeks ago pigging out on soft shell crabs and lobster (and pea leaves) and I noticed the Chinese family next to us was having a whole roast squab.

I'm just wild for squab, and have it all the time in French restaurants (though the breast is usually served rare, separately from the legs, which are well done).

What's the Chinese preparation like?

Back in the mid 70s, I used to go to an upscale Chinese banquet restaurant in Kuala Lumpur called the Imperial Room, which was in the Hotel Malaysia on Jalan Bukit Bintang. (I don't recall if it was a Hokkien or Cantonese-style restaurant, but I'm guessing Cantonese.) The first dish we usually got at each meal was Pigeon with Peanuts. It was a very rich and delicious dish. I do not know how they made it, but it clearly had a lot of delicious fat in it. Very heavy eating.

[Edit: Looking at the topic, this dish was definitely not roasted.]

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"