• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Match Game: Wine And Food

Busboy

I know that there are dozens of "what do serve with..." threads on eGullet, but, as I was pondering posting my own query this AM I thought it might be nice to have one "go-to" topic on the subject (if the wine folks approve) so that the collective wisdom of our more knowledgeable oenophiles can be accessed more easily.

My challenge this weekend is a mushroom quiche. To complicate things, I'll probably want to bring a red and a white. Any help?

While I'm on the subject of eggs and wine, I once wandered into a respected local wine shop during their Saturday tasting and suggested that I was looking for a rustic red wine to accompany a bacon-cheese omelet and garlic fried potatoes (pommes persillade) not only the owner, but the whole chorus of tasters lined up at the table denounced my preference on the white wine went with omelets. Undeterred, I picked out something Rhone-ish anyway, but I do wonder if this "white with eggs" thing is considered a general rule of thumb and I need to change the color of my breakfast beverage. :laugh:

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Good for you! Never assume that someone with an opinion on wine knows their way around a kitchen . . .

Did they ask how much bacon is in the omelette? What kind of bacon? How much cheese? What are the potatoes fried in? How much garlic? If the eggs are just the glue holding everything else together, then heck yeah, go for a rustic, country-style red. Maybe even a barbera, with some acidity to cut the cheese and eggs.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Actually, my current concern is quiche, which I assume is going to be a little more subtle than my omelets (which do tend to be pretty stuffed and served alongside very garlicky potatoes).  I'm assuming that egg, cream and mushroom flavors will dominate, so something a little more subtle than Barbera or Rhone might be called for.

Heh, sorry! I was eating leftover Thai vegie wraps for breakfast while posting, and trying to hold the begging dog off with one foot. I guess I was just focused on the "bacon," as usual . . . :laugh:

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

For white try a Rhone with a good dose of Marsanne or consider a Ripasso Veneto wine (Masi Campoforin)

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

What did you choose and how did it go? I would have joined in the chorus suggesting German or Alsatian white.

BUT your taste is your taste, and drink what you like - tasting good to you is all that matters.

I like light reds, served on the cool side, with many egg dishes.

Especially if there are earthy notes (mushrooms etc)

Also most dry whites would seem to be fine. probably one with some herbal notes

avoiding tropical fruit flavors etc. (especially if cheese were a key component.)

My favorite white would be a fino or manzanilla sherry!

The perfect pairing for the Spanish Torta's a(which are basically quiches)

Rose would work fine as well.

I am not sure what the big deal is-- pairing up wine with egg dishes.

Edited by JohnL (log)

Charles,

I know it's after the weekend, and I only saw this now.  Rose Champagne next time!

Brad,

Can you recommend a good Rose from a major producer? I ask for a "major producer" moslty because I know I'll be able to find it easily. It seems thats pretty much the only thing anyone carries.

Edit to add: Just a general recommendation. Not limited to pairing with an egg dish.

Edited by jsmeeker (log)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Can you recommend a good Rose from a major producer?  I ask for a "major producer" moslty because I know I'll be able to find it easily.  It seems thats pretty much the only thing anyone carries.

Edit to add: Just a general recommendation. Not limited to pairing with an egg dish.

Without price as a constraint...

Laurent-Perrier

Billecart-Salmon

Jacquesson

Gosset

Montaudon

Nicolas Feuillatte - not a major producer (negociant), but an easy-to-find co-op produced wine

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

"white with eggs" thing is considered a general rule of thumb and I need to change the color of my breakfast beverage.  :laugh:

Rules are made to be broken, and I'm sure there are red wines that will pair beautifully with a mushroom quiche. The trick is to not create a conflict in your mouth, and fight your way through the course just to prove it.

I agree with JohnL on the sherry selection for some egg dishes. Manzanilla & Fino work very well with eggs, especially when garlic is part of the equation. The tortilla with small diced potato & salt cured capers, topped with strips of roasted peppers, drizzled with EVO, served at room temp. is sublime.

Champagne, with scrambled eggs, creme fraiche, and smoked salmon on butter toast is also wonderful.

The key is not neccesarily the egg as the focal point, but the flavor that is added to the egg. Consider if one were to use the concept of a mushroom quiche, served as a royale (eggs & cream) with mushroom, lets say a morel, in the form of a timbale. That earthy richness with lush mouth feel, perhaps with a morel sauce prepared with veal glace finished with raw butter; now the egg has been brought to another level that will pair with Cote du Rhone.

So, if you look at it this way, eggs will pretty much work with any wine.