• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Outdoor Dining Spots?

Rich Pawlak

I'm in the hunt for outdoor dining spots, especially in the suburbs, and especially in the western suburbs of Philly. I want to EXCLUDE the sidewalk style al fresco dining choices, and focus on courtyards and patios and such that have been specifically created for the warm weather.

What are some of your favorites?

Thanks in advance!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I'm in the hunt for outdoor dining spots, especially in the suburbs, and especially in the western suburbs of Philly.  I want to EXCLUDE the sidewalk style al fresco dining choices, and focus on courtyards and patios and such that have been specifically created for the warm weather.

What are some of your favorites?

Thanks in advance!

Is there warm weather in PA?

Well, Phil, April's article showcases sidewalk dining and centers on Center City places, not suburban locales.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Well, Phil, April's article showcases sidewalk dining and centers on Center City places, not suburban locales.

Thought you might have liked this part:

Meredith's, 10 Leopard Road, Berwyn, (610-251-0265) Get there early for dinner to get seats on the patio outside this cozy cottage-style BYOB cafe. At lunch, the place is a local cult favorite for homemade soups and appetizer plates on gorgeous sunny days, but seating is limited to 16.

Avalon, 312 S. High St., West Chester. (610-436-4100) This European-style BYOB screams date night with a spacious, 50-seat brick patio shaded by tropical plants and peppered with white-linen-covered tables topped with fresh flowers. This spring, owners are adding a mosaic wall and fountains to the alfresco decor. The sharing plates are flat-out sexy, from mussels to hummus, exotic-mushroom mixes or cheeses. The pastas are Italian-influenced, while the entrees range from tandoori salmon to Australian free-range lamb or sesame-seared scallops with a blood-orange salad and lemon vinaigrette.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Thought you might have liked this part:

Meredith's, 10 Leopard Road, Berwyn, (610-251-0265) Get there early for dinner to get seats on the patio outside this cozy cottage-style BYOB cafe. At lunch, the place is a local cult favorite for homemade soups and appetizer plates on gorgeous sunny days, but seating is limited to 16.

Avalon, 312 S. High St., West Chester. (610-436-4100) This European-style BYOB screams date night with a spacious, 50-seat brick patio shaded by tropical plants and peppered with white-linen-covered tables topped with fresh flowers. This spring, owners are adding a mosaic wall and fountains to the alfresco decor. The sharing plates are flat-out sexy, from mussels to hummus, exotic-mushroom mixes or cheeses. The pastas are Italian-influenced, while the entrees range from tandoori salmon to Australian free-range lamb or sesame-seared scallops with a blood-orange salad and lemon vinaigrette.

MY BAD for not reading the article to the end! I just reviewed the incredible Meridith's for MAINLINE magazine, too.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Outdoor lunch at the Garden. And an expense account for entertaining clients. Those were the days.

Not sure what's up with the Art Alliance nowadays, but off and on there is good courtyard dining there.

Ashamed to admit that I don't know if Longwood Gardens has decent outdoor dining. If not, they should.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Le Jardin at the Art Alliance just closed for good, and I dont think the restaurant at Longwood Gardens is worth any serious consideration

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

cinghaile beat me to it. I was going to recommend the rooftop deck at Buckley's as well. It's a very pkeasant spot to have a drink.

I've eaten on the back terrace at Avalon. It's quite nice, but as I remember it, there's a roof overhead, and I didn't get a sense of being, well, outside. It still beats the outdoor places where you have a lovely view of a parking lot.

cinghaile beat me to it. I was going to recommend the rooftop deck at Buckley's as well. It's a very pkeasant spot to have a drink.

I've eaten on the back terrace at Avalon. It's quite nice, but as I remember it, there's a roof overhead, and I didn't get a sense of being, well, outside. It still beats the outdoor places where you have a lovely view of a parking lot.

Buckley's is a good one, I had forgotten about it. Avalon, to me, is downright magical at dusk, and as the evening continues, it has an atmosphere that is quite exceptional.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

The best outdoor dining spot...

If you were on Jeopardy on TV, the question would be..

"What is the code name of James Bond's immediate Boss"

Hint : Dame Judi Dench.

Vadouvan, I think you haven't watched Jeopardy, or you'd see the problem with asking a question...

Just sayin', is all; and the suggestion is a very good one.

Vadouvan, I think you haven't watched Jeopardy, or you'd see the problem with asking a question...

Just sayin', is all; and the suggestion is a very good one.

:smile:

oh yeah i forgot the answer should be phrased as a question, jeopardy contestants make that mistake all the time.....

and the answer is...

Who is ______ !

M! For those who hadn't gotten it already. I was going to take a cousin there tonight to learn... closed on Mondays :angry: Nerve of hard working chefs to take a day off!

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.