• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine pairing needed

Cook456

As an appetizer I am serving a cold asparagus salad with blood oranges with a blood orange vinaigrette.

What wine do I serve with this?

I'd consider an Australian Riesling or an Austrian Gruner Veltliner. Both wines have considerable flavour and great acidity to tame down the blood orange.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Here's the rub: If you search through the hundreds of wine/food-pairing websites the general consensus is that there is NO wine that pairs well with Asparagus. It is something about the chemical make-up of the vegetable that conflicts with wine; either making the asparagus very, very bitter or the wine very, very acidic.

Gruner is probably the only wine that *might* work but I would like to suggest the addition of something like morels or another mushroom into the salad. The addition of something earthy will tame the whole dish down considerably and make it more wine-friendly.

Here's the rub: If you search through the hundreds of wine/food-pairing websites the general consensus is that there is NO wine that pairs well with Asparagus. It is something about the chemical make-up of the vegetable that conflicts with wine; either making the asparagus very, very bitter or the wine very, very acidic.

Gruner is probably the only wine that *might* work but I would like to suggest the addition of something like morels or another mushroom into the salad. The addition of something earthy will tame the whole dish down considerably and make it more wine-friendly.

You are right... asparagus and artichokes are not wines' friend but I'm never one to stay away from a challenge. Another option could be a big herbaceous Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand (Marlborough) or South Africa and fight the fight with herbaceous flavours and high acidity.

Have a great meal!

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I'm well aware that asparagus is not wine friendly. I will go with the Australian Gruner Vetliner and a Zinfandel for the rest of the meal

asparagus salad

manicotti ( we're italian)

Leg of lamb roasted with lemon jiuce, baby artichokes and yukon gold potatoes ( no garlic)

Fava beans sauteed with prosciutto, garlic and mint

Easter wheat pie

I'm well aware that asparagus is not wine friendly.  I will go with the Australian Gruner Vetliner  and a Zinfandel for the rest of the meal

asparagus salad

manicotti  ( we're italian)

Leg of lamb roasted with lemon jiuce, baby artichokes and yukon gold potatoes ( no garlic)

Easter wheat pie

Austrian gruner veltliner. This is one of my favorite wines, if you see any schloss gobbelsburg produced snap it up, its great.

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

I'm well aware that asparagus is not wine friendly.  I will go with the Australian Gruner Vetliner  and a Zinfandel for the rest of the meal

asparagus salad

manicotti  ( we're italian)

Easter wheat pie

Austrian gruner veltliner. This is one of my favorite wines, if you see any schloss gobbelsburg produced snap it up, its great.

"Austrian..not Australian"

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be sure to look for it.

Edited by Cook456 (log)

i think to a certain extent asparagus' reputation is overblown. it's true i've never hit a home-run with asparagus, but it's not as tough as artichokes. the trick is getting a wine with good acidity, which seem to be in short supply today. last weekend i served a big platter of jumbo asparagus by itself as an appetizer, steamed just until tender and then marinated in a vinaigrette. I served it with a good high-acid Riesling (German--dr loosen), and a good high-acid Gewurtz (Mendocino--Navarro). i thought both worked well.

i think to a certain extent asparagus' reputation is overblown. it's true i've never hit a home-run with asparagus, but it's not as tough as artichokes. the trick is getting a wine with good acidity, which seem to be in short supply today. last weekend i served a big platter of jumbo asparagus by itself as an appetizer, steamed just until tender and then marinated in a vinaigrette. I served it with a good high-acid Riesling (German--dr loosen), and a good high-acid Gewurtz (Mendocino--Navarro). i thought both worked well.

I agree. In fact, I believe the whole food and wine pairing issue is overblown. One rarely eats a big bowl of plain asparagus. They usually are a side dish or are part of a singular dish/appetizer/starter such as prepared with a vinaigrette or sauce and/or wrapped in prosciutto or with crumbled bleu cheese etc. finding a wine that will not obliterate or be obliterated by the asparagus dish really isn't that difficult.

I also think that the food and wine pairing issue is often forced. There are plenty of foods that simply work better with beer or sake or sherries etc. utilizing one of these beverages is often pleasantly suprising and satisfying.

You are correct IMOP-in looking for a white with "acidity." However many wines can have relative high acidity and yet not work because that acidity is balanced by other attributes. I usually note that a white should be "crisp." I disagree that it is difficult to find wines with "good acidity" these days. There are lots of them available from many different varietals and blends.

I also think that the food and wine pairing issue is often forced. There are plenty of foods that simply work better with beer or sake or sherries etc. utilizing one of these beverages is often pleasantly suprising and satisfying.

I agree completely. I also find that its fun to go this route because its a bit unexpected for your guests and can be a welcome surprise. A local wine store I go to had a sherry open once and I was shocked how good it was. I had thought it was mainly used for cooking prior to this. I always keep it in the back of my mind as an option. I don't know if it is customary, but I thought it would be great slightly chilled with some grilled shrimp/seafood - but that may be crazy taboo omg i can't believe you'd drink it that way you freak. YMMV.

I lived in Japan for a 1.5 years and discovered that I like beer with most Japanese food rather than sake. Just seems right to me. Sake on the other hand I like to enjoy by itself.

I realize this is after-the-fact, but for whatever future reference this may provide. . . I also had to pair a wine with a chilled asparagus and roasted bell pepper appetizer/salad drizzled with blood orange vinaigrette. I served a Vouvray Demi-Sec that went very well.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero