• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Neophyte needs help

Natasha

I am having 8 guests on Saturday for a birthday dinner for my husband. He is quite a good cook, and does all the cooking for our dinner parties. I do the desserts. However, it is his birthday so I want to give him the day off!

I need help with the menu. I've pretty much decided that I will serve small crab cakes as an appetizer and I thought it might be nice to also have some asparagus on the plate (maybe I can even make it look pretty.) Is there a sauce that will go with both? Something with lemon, perhaps?

I'm going to do an arugula and goat cheese salad for a second course.

I'd love to have a main course that I can do ahead and keep in the oven, or reheat, but I'm open to anything. The last time we had these folks over, we did a beef bourgignon so I don't want to braise anything, plus I think it is going to be warm on Saturday, and braising seems like a winter thing. I saw some nice tuna recipes, but we really love red wine so I want somethng heartier to pair with a big red.

Since I only have Saturday to prepare (and clean my house!) I ordered a 4-layer lemon cake from a reputable place near me.

Any help is really appreciated.

Edited by Natasha (log)

I need help with the menu. I've pretty much decided that I will serve small crab cakes as an appetizer and I thought it might be nice to also have some asparagus on the plate (maybe I can even make it look pretty.) Is there a sauce that will go with both? Something with lemon, perhaps?

I think hollandaise (already a classic pairing with the asparagus) would compliment the crap cakes as well.

As for the main perhaps a nice paella?

Edited by 6ppc (log)

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

For an easy main to go with red wine why not do a slow cooked leg of lamb or a rib of beef. Just slap it into the over about 7 hours before serving. Not tome sensitive. An hour either way won't make a big difference. You could serve either with roast root vegetables, again prepare ahead & about an hour in the oven.

Not very fashionable, but good & easy. I'd love to have you menu for my birthday!

Thanks, Dave. It's funny, I came to the same conclusion myself late last night. I think I am going to go for an old steakhouse menu, and do a beef tenderloin roast with a red wine sauce, creamed spinach, and a potato mushroom galette. It is old-fashioned, but it sounds good to me! Thanks for the help.

A nice (lemon and basil?) aioli would be nice for dunking asparagus and putting a small dollop on the crabcakes. I like very rich sauces with crab cakes as they are usually quite lean. A dijonnaise like sauce would also work well and hold better than hollandaise.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

I like a thinned down elegant version of tartar sauce. You don't want it too thick.

Mayonnaise, white vinegar, diced sweet and hot pickled peppers (I like the Mt. Olive brand called sweet and hots), some juice from the pepper jar, a little fresh tarragon, black pepper, and a shot of lemon juice.