• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Table of my Dreams

Carrot Top

Today I bought the table of my grown-up dreams.

A table to dine upon that is perfect, perfect, perfect! For me.

Once before I thought I'd found the dining table of my dreams. It was many years ago - the table was glass and steel. It was elegant, big, rectangular.

I did not ever "feel" for that table.

There have been some other dining room tables bought over the years, because of moving here or there, but today I took the plunge and spent twice as much as I intended to on this table, because it seems to make me sigh with pleasure and contentment in even sitting at it without any food on it. Imagine, what food could do on a table like this.

It is round, big and round. A round table makes me feel balanced and equitable. It is cherry wood, nice, rich, but not too dark - just sort of glowing with an internal warmth. A central base supports the table but it is not clunky or heavy-looking but merely architectural in a way. No legs to stumble onto.

The chairs are made of the same wood - a simple uncluttered design, and, and they have arms to lie one's own arms upon while lingering at this beauteous table :biggrin: and they are cushioned, too - with soft subtly elegant fabric.

I believe I have found the table of my grown-up dreams, and can not wait! to serve a meal upon it.

What does the dining table of your own dreams look like? Do you have it, or have you seen it, or is it waiting somewhere in your imagination but not yet found?

I find tables with glass tops uncomfortable because you can see the other diners' legs.

Not a lot of fun for under-the-table hanky panky.

Or for hiding food in your napkin.

Not that I participate in either - I am the consummate guest. :wink:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

The Table Of My Dreams is a massive rectangle of ancient wood, long enough for a dozen to gather comfortably, wide enough for two to sit at either end; the walnutty medieval finish darkened by centuries of use, thick, but not too thick to attach a pasta maker or grinder to, nicked and gouged in places. The grain is varied, but there is only one knot on the entire surface. And that knot is grandiose in it's efforts, and beautiful in it's ovoid perfection and mystery. The Table Of My Dreams rests on thick hand turned legs, 6 of them. The finish is waxen, but not overly so; not shiny, and yet, slightly reflective. The accompanying chairs are post modern, plastic and steel, with soft and vibrantly green blue upholstered velvet cushions. My daughter will make some beautiful, organic and yet architectural low sculptures, in a series, and I shall use them to run down the center of this table. My glass serving pieces will be a glistening counterpoint to the solidity and history of this table, and I will serve yebra and hashu, hummous, tabbouleh and immense platters of roasted and stewed vegetables and a number of entire fish, broiled on my newspaper grill and plated on large platters of steel, to my closest family and friends, to welcome The Table Of My Dreams into our midst. Small amuse of panko encrusted and deep fried chicken liver pate will be passed around, along with warm roasted and spiced mixed nuts and a salad of fresh tomatoes from the garden that peeks through the window that The Table Of My Dreams rests by. I will enlist a friend to help me to bake loaf after loaf of breads that day, and muffins as well. I will serve my family and friends a salad that will be discussed for it's complexity for months after, and the red wine will flow for the duration of our "welcome home, table" meal. We will have delicous balls of beef tartare as well. And, in the end, we will have chocolate pots de creme, ginger cookies, various chocolates that have been brought, and the most delicious port and ibrik coffees. We will talk until the morning, drink a lot more, dance, and laugh. The Table Of My Dreams will make my family and friends happy, even if they must crowd around it, as it is only intended for 12 to gather comfortably, as a rule.

edited by me:delicous! hahahaha!

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

This is perhaps the fourth or fifth dining room set that we have had in our marriage .. and is the one I have always wanted ... burled rosewood top, seats 10 when panels are added, black lacquer trim, chairs have the same black lacquer ... oriental look matches the small curio nearby .. white shantung silk seats on chairs ... yes, it is perfect on our white rugs and with the ivory drapes ...

gallery_10011_1595_6785.jpg

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Tablecloth: yes or no?

Are you asking me specifically or is that a general query? :rolleyes:

If the former, then I can say that I have used a Battenberg lace cloth but the table is so elegant, I hate to cover it at all... and rarely do so. I have very nice imported placemats which I use when I want to serve but preserve the polished tabletop look.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

We truly thought we had found the table and chairs of our dreams and for many years it truly was. It's a round teak table that becomes a long ovoid shape when the leaves are added. BUT, after hubby's surgery and our increasing age (Gee, I hate to admit that!) we are starting to hate it! The leaves are so heavy that we almost dread guests coming as we will have to lift and place those leaves. And no, our home is so tiny that we cannot leave them in place. So, for all of you who are young and agile, make sure that your table will still be a dream when you start to enter senility. :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Here are the table and chairs of our dreams. We had the table made for us when we married and we found the chairs not so long ago. Both are extremely comfortable and the Ghost chairs compliment the cherry of the table.

gallery_17623_2580_487572.jpg

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

This and a castle with tapestry bedecked walls to put 'er in. Or this and a modest house in the Welsh countryside with a full kitchen garden.  :biggrin:

The first of these looks wonderful indeed. The second one has too deep a lip on the brace that supports the top and will constantly have people hitting their knees - particularly those seated at the corners. We made the mistake of buying a similar table once.

The ideal table should be old and very comfortable and not fussy. It must be out of wood - and perferably old wood. Glass and metal is cold and soul-less.

You should be able to spend long evenings at it without being afraid to spill some sauce or some scotch on the surface. It should have a history, and texture and character.

Critical also in my view is that is large enough to permit chairs with arms. Armless dining chairs do not make for long and comfortable evenings - and that is a mistake.

I am regularly amazed how often we see completely uncomfortable and impractical tables and chairs when we are invited out. Many people buy (or worse - have their decorators buy) their dining room sets principally by reference to whether it matches the carpet and drapes! Yikes!

Since the subject of spills has come up, do you guys know a finish that's really spill-proof? I recently inherited my Dad's rosewood table, but I'm afraid to use it. He always kept it covered with a cloth, but then, what's the point? The surface needs a bit of touching up, and I'd like to get some low-gloss relatively impervious finish on it so we can enjoy it.

Tung oil is a great finish. Lots of thin coats buffed between with 000 or 0000 steel wool and wiped with a tack cloth before next coat. Gets hard as a rock, really brings out the beauty in most woods and spills don't seem to matter.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

I bought a maple table when we added 12 feet to the dining room last year and it seats 14. It came with an oil finish and I was freaking out when every little spot stained it - even just water. I oiled and oiled and still got stains.

So, I stripped it and refinished it with Minwax Polycrylic waterbased clear satin and am SO happy I did! Red wine can sit on it overnight and wipe up in the morning. It looks like an oil finish but is so much tougher. I regularly have dinners for 12 - 14 and am no longer worried at all about the table.

Since the subject of spills has come up, do you guys know a finish that's really spill-proof?  I recently inherited my Dad's rosewood table, but I'm afraid to use it.  He always kept it covered with a cloth, but then, what's the point?  The surface needs a bit of touching up, and I'd like to get some low-gloss relatively impervious finish on it so we can enjoy it.

Abra, if it's unfinished wood you'll want to oil it often with tung oil until it builds up a finish, and if already lacquered you'll just use butcher's wax and buff. I only buy old wood when choosing furniture and have fully refinished quite a few pieces too. PM me if you need more info.

I cannot find a picture online of the table I want, but it is an extra wide imposing rectangular structure that completely dominates the dining room. I want an older piece preferably made of mahaogany or ebony, and it should comfortably seat at least 10. The University of Toronto has about 40 of these very tables which used to be in their mess hall, which are now in their study hall, sadly gouged with graffiti. :sad:

The seating is equally important, however. A guest should feel as though they're lounging in a grand salon rather than dining in a formal room; the seating evoking the same comforts as the sort of sofas one might usually retire to after dinner. There should be 2 large armed chairs at each end, and 4 smallish loveseat type benches along the sides seating 2 persons each, rather than 8 individual chairs to seat those same 8, and all of the seating will be overflowing with cushions and pillows covered in sumptuous Moroccan silks and tapestries.

Edited by Sugarella (log)

Who would have known that mentioning the Table of Your Dreams would open the gateways to your souls in such an endearing and startling manner?! :biggrin:

And what beautiful tables they all are, too.

Glorious dream tables.

More, please. :smile:

Confess your desires.

It is good for whatever ails you.

Plus it is highly entertaining. :wink:

I have my dream tables. I guess I don't dream big enough :smile:.

The dining room set is Queen Anne in cherry. I fell in love with it at a now out of business furniture store long before we had any place to put it. I told my husband at the time when we bought our house, we were coming back and buying the set.

Fast forward six months later, we bought a house a lot sooner than expected, and the first furniture we bought for it was this dining set - table, chairs, and china cabinet. Almost ten years later it is still my favorite furniture in the house. I know, if you've seen one Queen Anne you've seen 'em all, but it's exactly to my taste.

Coming in second is the kitchen set. It's maple, sturdy, takes all kind of abuse, and sits there looking good all the time. The chairs have that rounded country back, but the set doesn't look particularly country, just comfortable.

I expect I'm going to have these two tables (and their accompanying chairs) for the rest of my life, or at least as long as I have space to put them. And I'm not unhappy about that at all.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Hand made farm table of sinker cyress that my brother has in his barn. If I could just get him to part with it, or better yet, make me a table with it! Very simple. A cross between a rectangle and a square. Lots of center area for platters and bowls of everything.

Chairs are harder. I do know I will never buy antique dining chairs again, as chairs get lots of use and do not age well. Or not as well as tables do. Chairs get weak, tables gain character. I do like deeply upholstered chairs with arms, but they take a lot of room and then I cannot fit enough around so I've settled on slipper chairs with arms. Cheap enough to get a bunch and comfy too.

I'm doing my dining room over (thank you Rita) and am hoping this fantasy becomes reality. Soon.

oneday i'll find it.....or find the parts and assemble them, or else it would have to be brought from Czech Rep with a van. if you have been to CR you'll know the table i'm talking about. a classic communal monastery table. long, wide, thick, sturdy, simple and beautiful!