• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Table top or small commercial ice machines?

Sid Post

I live on a farm and need a good amount of ice each day.  In the past, I have been running the 50# a day tabletop models from companies like Maytag and similar from Lowes or Home Depot mainly.  At this point, they run >$300 and my last one lasted less than a year.

I am on very soft well water so the mineral build-up isn't a problem.  I keep my ice machine pretty clean in my kitchen so, it's not getting dusty or hot in a garage or barn either.  I have a utility closet with a water heater and a utility sink in my farmhouse garage so, I could put a larger machine there and drain waste water from a commercial ice machine.

I don't need 100's of pounds of ice each day but, in the heat of summer, I do use ~75# of ice in a 24-hour period.  I am starting to fish more so, I expect my ice needs to grow some as well.  The "Twice the Ice" ice vendor in town about 6 miles away has shut down so, I either need to make my own or buy bagged ice which gets spendy over time.

What are my better options for a 'cost effective' ice machine that will last over time and make >100# a day or more with a storage capacity of ~50#?  What sort of cost am I looking at for better options, where would I buy one, and what about routine service?

TIA,

Sid

• Like 1

This is a tall order.  That's a lot of ice.

How far away is your nearest minimart or grocery store? I ask because you may be $ ahead to have a commercial ice supplier put you on their route.  You also may be able to rent one of their stand-alone freezer lockers to deliver into.

Bagged ice is REALLY expensive in my area and typically is in short supply.  I also live in a rural area so, going to town for ice and the ice melt on the way home is a no-win situation.

The nearest "Twice the Ice" outlet is about 30 miles away and is absolutely not cost-effective.  I could always install a chest freezer in my pickup and a backup generator to power it but, I still have the issue of cost to get the ice to start with.  Hence, my quest for a better capability at home.