• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roasting Pans: The Topic

Marlene

Now I need new pots and pans. Some of my pans don't fit flush to the surface of my cooktop so I'm replacing them. One of the things I need is a really really good roasting pan. My old one is pretty light, and didn't sit on the cooktop properly on the weekend for making gravy. Need one with shallow sides, a bit of weight to it, and one that is good for making gravy in.

Any suggestions!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Doing some searching reveals a calphalon hard anodized french roaster. They appear to have two sizes, 16 in and 14 inch. I can find the 16 in on Amazon.com, but I'm having trouble finding the 14 in pan. Any suggestions on (a) where to find the 14 in, and (b) experience with these pans?

Marlene

We have one and I can't recommend it. Two things wrong with it. Grease seems to adsorb [sic] to the surface which always feels sticky as a consequence. Second, it warped.

Neither of those things appeal to me. I looked on the All Clad site, but I didn't find a roaster. Braising pan yes, but no roaster. I'll just keep searching....

Marlene

Thanks Tommy. I note that William Sonoma has the pans as well. Thoughts on non-stick versus stainless? I'm want the roast and potatoes to brown and I obviously want to be able to de-glaze the pan or make gravy. How well does non stick work for this? Is stainless better?

Marlene

How well does non stick work for this?  Is stainless better?

Non-stick? No. Stainless? Yes. For reasons I don't comprehend, non-stick somewhat inhibits the development of those tasty brown bits. If you want the best basis for a sauce, you're supposed to stay away from non-stick. I haven't run side-by-side tests. That's just the general wisdom. If someone would ship me All-Clad Roti's in non-stick and stainless steel, I'd be happy to do a comparison test and report the results!

Well? Ok, just be that way!

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro

I've decided on the All clad petite roti stainless steel pan. I think I can order this through Amazon.com. The only things they don't ship to Canada are electronics I believe.

How do I order through Amazon so that egullet gets the credit?

Marlene

Edit: Oops, too late. But just in case you want to know . . .

One other possibility, just to confuse things: Le Creuset. I've got a roasting pan that measures 10 x 14 x 3" deep, weighing in at 4.17kg (9 lbs, 3oz). For handles, it has extended lips on the short ends; just barely enough to grasp. I have no idea how much it might cost, because I, um, appropriated it from a former workplace. :blush:

I can't do anything like a big turkey in it, but for everything else I do the size is sufficient. Perfectly flat bottom, and it definitely works on the stove top. Cleans up like a dream, since the inside is enameled. The only drawback is the weight; but that's LeCreuset for you!

It's better than a Dansk pan I've had for years and years -- which is made from much thinner metal, although the enameling has held up very well. The bottom of the Dansk is ever-so-slightly bowed. Works okay, but I prefer the LC.

Then again, if I didn't have either one of those, I'd seriously consider AllClad. (But NEVER from Williams Sonoma; their prices are outrageous :blink: )

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

Argh! Amazon.com does not ship kitchen products to Canada. Any helpful suggestions on where to buy this in New York when we are there next week?

Marlene

Argh!  Amazon.com does not ship kitchen products to Canada.  Any helpful suggestions on where to buy this in New York when we are there next week?

Broadway Panhandler in Soho.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I am so glad we are not talking about grilling equipment.

Marlene--any luck with ordering the pan?

No kidding! For some reason, they don't have the smaller roasting pan here in Ontario - at least not that I've found so far. I want to start with the smaller pan since I usually cook for 2-4 people, and will get the larger pan for holiday occassions if the smaller one performs well.

Can't order it through Amazon.com (sorry Jason, I tried), but can order it from surlatable for shipping to Canada. So I'll either pick it up next week when I'm in NY and cart it back on the plane with me, or I'll order it through surlatable.

This just shouldn't be this dificult :blink:

Marlene

Found it! Here in Oakville at a specialty store. The list price is $329.00 Cdn. Amazon has it for 180 Us and Sur la table has it for 179 US. By the time I do the conversion from US to Cdn. dollars, and add shipping and duty, I'm probably pretty close to the $329.00 cdn mark. Besides, I can have it tomorrow :biggrin:

for that price, I may just put it on a cooking pedestal and admire it :shock:

Marlene

I am curious about what people think about the utility of the small vs large one. I have looked at them and the small one appears to be so small that an enameled cast iron dutch oven might do as well. But I have not measured. Would the large one really be too big for cooking for 2 - 4 people?

Edited by Richard Kilgore (log)

I am curious about what people think about the utility of the small vs large one. I have looked at them and the small one appears to be so small that an enameled cast iron dutch oven might do as well. But I have not measured. Would the large one really be too big for cooking for 2 - 4 people?

I think a dutch oven's sides are too deep for proper roasting, especially convection. The small is 14 in and the larger ones are 16 or 17 inches plus they are wider. If I'm cooking a roast for the three of us in a larger pan, the roast and potatoes are "lost" in the pan, and it doesn't cook as well. I don't generally cook a roast too big for the three of us since neither my son nor husband will eat leftovers, so there's no point.

Marlene

Just picked up the All Clad Petite Roti Pan, and it's a beautiful pan! :biggrin: Nicely weighted and it's got a lovely shine. Tonight - Prime Rib.

Marlene

I just wanted to give a plug to a decent Canadian company that makes very high quality stuff that can be very reasonable compared to all-clad, etc. Paderno I have a few of their pans and love the huge covered roaster (cover can be used as a serving dish or gratin, etc.).

• 3 months later...

You can't roast in a dutch oven. The food would end up steamed, not roasted. The taller sides trap in the vapors. I love my Le Crueset roasting pan and use it for everything except turkey. I just use a plane ol' broiler pan for that, sans the broiler top of course.

Chow, everyone. :cool: