• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in Venice

ace92503

I recently moved to Venice and although I am enjoying the obvious retaurant choices like AXE, Joe's, Wabi-Sabi, Via Veneto my choices are running thin. I am looking for more places off the beaten path or not off the path. I'm very open to your suggestions. Also, sushi recommendations please...

Mariscos is a taco stand on Lincoln just north of Rose on westside of st, just look for the crowds, it is famous for seafood cocktails and fish tacos. Mossimos (sp) is on Abbot Kinney near Lillies and has salads, sandwiches and is mostly a bakery and gelato place. Amuse is also great to get a few small plates for diner like the ribs,the baby octopus,and the cockels. They also have one of LA's best burgers IMHO. The problem with the burger is you are hungry again 2 days later.

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

I'd love descriptions of more of these places. I'm going to be in Venice staying with relatives in August and I'm thinking of surprising them by taking them out for a nice meal somewhere. The meal would probably be for a total of 4 adults and 1 child, though, so it can't be all that expensive (maybe $50-60/person tops).

Michael aka "Pan"

I'd love descriptions of more of these places. I'm going to be in Venice staying with relatives in August and I'm thinking of surprising them by taking them out for a nice meal somewhere.

You can go to Citysearch.com and get a good description with user reviews - if there are any you have more questions I could give you more info on some of my favorites like AXE, Joes, Via Veneto, Hal's (that would be a good bet for you), Wabi-Sabi

I haven't found overwhelming cause to trust Citysearch reviews (though the descriptions in the main entry are usually accurate), so yes, please describe what you like about these places.

Michael aka "Pan"

I haven't found overwhelming cause to trust Citysearch reviews (though the descriptions in the main entry are usually accurate), so yes, please describe what you like about these places.

Click on this link to the LA Times Special Restaurant Issue digest (2005). The restaurant issue just came out on Sun. (10 June 2005). In the digest, click on the 2005 Dining Guide. A little bit more trustworthy than Citysearch, I suppose.

BTW, there are other areas next to Venice, like Marina Del Rey/Playa Del Rey, Culver City, & Santa Monica, if you want to consider those possibilities.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

[...]BTW, there are other areas next to Venice, like Marina Del Rey/Playa Del Rey, Culver City, & Santa Monica, if you want to consider those possibilities.

Sure I would!

I'll have a look at the LA Times link.

Michael aka "Pan"

OK, I'd like to know more about these places that were rated 2 stars:

Chloe in Marina del Rey, which got 2 stars in 2003. Is it still good? It's described as having seasonal dishes that change every month. What would a summer menu look like?

Beacon in Culver City (Got 2 1/2 stars, but what the hell is "Asian"? Pan-Asian, I guess? Should that be a red flag for me? It is.)

Rocca in Santa Monica, which got 2 1/2 stars in 2003. Is it still good?

Beechwood in Venice (the LA Times 2005 Dining Guide says to go to page 32 for more information, but I don't know how to do that online). Could one of you please describe their American cuisine? Any favorite dishes?

Piccolo Ristorante Italiano in Venice Beach. I undoubtedly passed it by the last time I was in Venice and walked to the beach.

I'm wondering if all these places would be appropriate for a relatively quiet meal with relatives, or if not, which would be, and also what other restaurants should be in this list. I feel like I'm way overemphasizing the star ratings because I'm from out of town and don't know any of these places. You all can rectify that.

Basically, I'm looking for a place with terrific food and a relaxed ambiance (I don't expect to bring a suit and tie, if anyone in LA would care, but you all are kind of laid back, anyway, aren't you? :biggrin:) that might be too expensive for my relatives to go to regularly but won't kill my bank account. $36 entrees are alarming to me, but I could handle a place with entrees in the low 20s. The place with the $85 tasting menu (Valentino) looks amazing (with the important caveat that they have a new chef, which could change everything), but unless it's just me and my cousin, forget about such extravagances.

Michael aka "Pan"

I love, love, love Cafe Beacon in Culver City. Get the cod but anything is good. Furthermore, if you go during the day, walk around the corner to Surfas for the best gourmet, kitchen supply store around.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Beacon in Culver City (Got 2 1/2 stars, but what the hell is "Asian"? Pan-Asian, I guess? Should that be a red flag for me? It is.)

Pan, NO! It should not be a red flag for you.

Click on this discussion thread link to Cafe Beacon. I ate there on Sat. & I enjoyed it. My post is on the Beacon thread.

Beechwood in Venice (the LA Times 2005 Dining Guide says to go to page 32 for more information, but I don't know how to do that online). Could one of you please describe their American cuisine? Any favorite dishes?

To summarize page 32 for you, Beechwood is two-thirds bar and one-third restaurant. The LA Times critic did a review on this place this year. She was surprised that chef Brooke Williamson is doing FOH instead of BOH. But it works. Straight-ahead California menu. Beechwood is the perfect place to eat something good, late. You might like this place, Pan. You seem like a late-night person.

I recently moved to Venice and although I am enjoying the obvious retaurant choices like AXE, Joe's, Wabi-Sabi, Via Veneto my choices are running thin. I am looking for more places off the beaten path or not off the path. I'm very open to your suggestions. Also, sushi recommendations please...

ace92503, Welcome to the eGullet California forum!! Sorry for being so rude ...

If you like breakfast places, try Maxwell's Cafe on Washington Blvd. & Walgrove Ave.

Pan -

here the low down on Beachwood - it is becoming a very trendy LA spot - on the weekends it is jamming - even in the dining room (there is a lounge/bar as well) it is pretty loud and you'll find yourselves shouting over each other - it is fun, if you like that. Pretty people and really good food. A few examples of things I've eaten there that I like: pulled shortrib pot pie, octupus calamari...this doesn't sound like your place for what you're looking for

You mentioned at $85 tasting menu - if you are going that high JOE'S has great seasonal tasting menu's. They have two, one being around 85 and the other 60-ish. The food is really incredible. Alsways seasonal and as far as fine dining goes, which, in my opinion, this one differs - it has a little heart and soul. The kind of food that makes you feel good, warm and happy. The serice is also great there. They make you feel taken care of and not in that walk you to the bathroom, place a napkin on your lap kind-of-way.

HAL'S is also good. You know you will get good food there, always. It's not through the roof, but really good and they give you a lot of choices. Incredible risottos.

Those are the two places, after reading all of your posts that I think are the most appropriate.

Pan, all the places you mentioned are good. Beechwood, Piccolo,Joes, Rocca, Chloe

Joe's= Always solid service and solid food. Joe Miller works hard to procur the best ingredients and attracts quality staff for the kitchen. Resv needed.

Chloe= Small place with neighborhoody type service. Food is solid though not as refined as Joe's.Resv. needed

Piccolo= Typical Italian ( the real stuff) above enoteca food but below ristorante food. Very solid, tastes like Italy, good ingredients. Small place and neighborhoody service.

Rocca= Hmmmmm. It is (has become ) a sort of see or be seen place for local celebs. On Tuesday the suckling pig is wonderful.I prefer the small plates over the entree' and I was dissapointed in the service ( they were disinterested and seemed a little too actor/ writer -vs- waiter for my taste) but many freinds I have love it.

Beacon= Great food made by a known chef. I prefer it for lunch since the room is not that comfy for a long stay. The food is great. The service IMHO sux. Did I mention that the food is great?

Some alternate choices:

2117 Sawtelle = cal/french done well, great service and ha sbeen open for many many years.

Orris= New, small plates type place. Really excellent food and solid service. Good luck getting in. Go early ( before 6) or late ( after 9 ).

Amuse= Local type place with solid food , good menu, friendly, solid service. Good for lunch or dinner.

La Terzza= although it is a bit away in West Holly'd it is worth the trip. Specially on Thursday nights for the roasted meats dinner. They have a wonderful spit and know how to use it. Service is tight, professional, and attentive. All the food there is solid from the housemade pastas to the sesonal seafood delights. The chef Jason is a perfect complement to the menu of Angelo, of Angellini Osteria, the owner and LA Institution. This is one of my Fav's.

Bon Appettite,

David

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Thanks, everyone!

I looked at the thread on Beacon and the link to the cafe's website. Amazingly, the menus are not expensive!

Does Joe's have a website or is there a (sample?) menu online?

I'm definitely not interested in a place with loud music, nor anyplace that's mostly a bar. This is about treating relatives to a nice meal and enjoying spending time with them. I think it'll either be the whole family or just me and my cousin. (I'd love for it to be a complete surprise, but that probably isn't possible; as you can see, this is in the brainstorming stage and not yet the planning stage.)

What about the timeframe for reservations? Do I need to reserve ASAP for dinner in mid-August at some of these places? Sorry for the ignorant, general questions. :biggrin:

Michael aka "Pan"

Yeah, I had to zoom in once.

The menu looks terrific for both lunch and dinner, and it doesn't price me out. Any advice on how far in advance I'd probably need to reserve a table?

Michael aka "Pan"

Joe's is alwyas tuff to get a table at on short notice. So the further the better especially for primetime out on the patio. You wont be dissapointed with Joes. People dress for dinne rthere but its not mandatory. Always a great vibe and great food. I would go more but can never get in. And I know Joe personally for over 10 years.

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Joe's is alwyas tuff to get a table at on short notice. So the further the better especially for primetime out on the patio. You wont be dissapointed with Joes. People dress for dinne rthere but its not mandatory. Always a great vibe and great food. I would go more but can never get in. And I know Joe personally for over 10 years.

David,

Do you know whether Scooter Canfer-Mill is still working there? As per the LA Times, she left Naya, and then was/is helping Joe out at his restaurant. Also, the LA Times critic did a recent review of Joe's. I get this "Joe seems to be missing. Where's Joe?" type of review. Do you know anything about this? I don't want to start any trouble. I just want some clarification, if possible ...

Joe's website seems to be in miniature on browsers other than Internet Explorer. Or is it just my computer? Looks great though.

No, it's not your computer. I use Netscape browser and got that miniature look.

I lived in Santa Monica for 2 years in '02 & '03. Anything changed? What about Capo? Or Josie's? Is Rockenwagner still open?

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris