• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ina Garten Lemon Yogurt Cake

Kim Shook

I had a really disappointing experience last night. I made this cake by Ina Garten. It has received rave reviews on the Food TV website and other websites I've been to. The cake is beautiful:

gallery_34972_3570_971825.jpg

But I really didn't care for the taste or the texture. The lemon taste is very pronounced, but there doesn't seem to be much other flavor. And the cake is a little heavy with an almost chewy texture. Here's a shot of a slice:

gallery_34972_3570_831858.jpg

The only change that I made in the recipe was to use fat free yogurt (the store didn't have full fat and I didn't feel like going to the Mediterranean Deli).

Has anyone made this cake? Or, looking at the recipe, does it seem like it should be better than it was? I was wondering about the oil as the only fat in the recipe.

Thanks, Kim

The only change that I made in the recipe was to use fat free yogurt (the store didn't have full fat and I didn't feel like going to the Mediterranean Deli).

[...]

I was wondering about the oil as the only fat in the recipe.

Well, if you'd used full-fat yogurt, then there would have been milk fat in the recipe as well as oil! With low-fat yogurt, the cake ended up with a bunch of thickening agents in it instead, which may account for the unpleasant texture. (Of course, I suppose that could also have come from overmixing.)

Looks tasty, though!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Substituting non-fat yogurt for full-fat would definitely have an impact on the consistency of the cake, making it less tender and more "chewy." Depending on how much the recipe calls for, eliminating that fat source could make all the difference between a through-the-roof dessert and one that is just so-so.

Well, Randi, I think that I won't try this again, then, after reading your blog. Pity, it sure was a good looking cake. What I may try to do is to make a lemon pound cake loaf and then do the simple syrup and glaze treatment. That part was good. It was the cake that was 'meh'.

Really amazing that we cooked exactly the same thing at exactly the same time. I didn't even get the recipe from her book, but got it off the tv awhile ago and just noticed it in my 'to try' file and thought I'd give it a go. I really liked your blog! I just love reading stuff like that.

Kim

Well, Randi, I think that I won't try this again, then, after reading your blog.  Pity, it sure was a good looking cake.  What I may try to do is to make a lemon pound cake loaf and then do the simple syrup and glaze treatment.  That part was good.  It was the cake that was 'meh'. 

Really amazing that we cooked exactly the same thing at exactly the same time.  I didn't even get the recipe from her book, but got it off the tv awhile ago and just noticed it in my 'to try' file and thought I'd give it a go.  I really liked your blog!  I just love reading stuff like that.

Kim

This cake is based on her lemon loaf cake that uses butter instead of oil. You might want to give that one a try. I made that awhile back and I recall liking it better.

Mmm, I just made a tangerine pudding cake - and despite substituting soy milk (who has dairy in the house?) it was lovely. No butter, but plenty of sugar. Too bad I can't post a picture. I made it in individual fluted cups, so there is some left...5 minutes to prep, 45 in the oven...

This cake is based on her lemon loaf cake that uses butter instead of oil.  You might want to give that one a try.  I made that awhile back and I recall liking it better.

Here's a link to the butter/buttermilk version of the cake listed on Leite's Culinaria: click .

For some reason I am perversly interested in this cake after your guy's reviews! Although I don't typically love cakes which use oil, it's hard to imagine it could be that unsatisifying!

But...I think I *would* try the butter/buttermilk rather than the oil/yogurt version. Thanks for the tip, CaliPoutine! It seems like she tried to convert the recipe to a recipe that is at least perceived to be more healthy and maybe it wasn't that successful. I'm now craving a lemony poundcake with confectionary suger/lemon juice glaze!

Care to share more info on your tangerine pudding cakes, tsquare? I love tangerines and these sound very wonderful!

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

You could also try the lemon yogurt pound cake in Dorie's book. I glaze mine with grapefruit jelly (because I have distinct memories of baking this same loaf from a recipe of hers in the NYT, which I can't track down anywhere, and that one recommended a grapefruit glaze). It's light and delicious, and people love it.

You could also try the lemon yogurt pound cake in Dorie's book. I glaze mine with grapefruit jelly (because I have distinct memories of baking this same loaf from a recipe of hers in the NYT, which I can't track down anywhere, and that one recommended a grapefruit glaze). It's light and delicious, and people love it.

Susan, why don't you just PM Dorie and ask her if she has the recipe you want in her files? I'm sure she'd be glad to help! Kim

Care to share more info on your tangerine pudding cakes, tsquare?  I love tangerines and these sound very wonderful!

After looking at half a dozen recipes, I checked on line and found this one:

scroll down a bit

But as I mentioned, I had no milk and substitued soy milk, and used fresh tangerine juice and tangerine zest. I baked it in 4 individual ramekins - the fluted ones. Other than that, I followed the recipe. Thanks for the reminder, there are left-overs in the fridge.

Susan, why don't you just PM Dorie and ask her if she has the recipe you want in her files? I'm sure she'd be glad to help! Kim

You're right, I could have! But the recipe otherwise appears to be exactly the same, and I remembered the grapefruit part. It was just one of those things that was driving me nuts but not getting in the way of making a good pound cake!

Edited by SusanGiff (log)