• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Krispy Kreme launches whole wheat donut

Toliver

The article:

"Krispy Kreme launches whole wheat doughnut"

There's not too much to the story.

The 100 percent whole wheat doughnut with 180 calories has a caramel flavoring and is covered with the doughnut-maker’s original glaze.

Will it be enough to turn around the company's fortunes?

The one Krispy Kreme location here closed, which I never thought I would see.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

The article:

"Krispy Kreme launches whole wheat doughnut"

There's not too much to the story.

I was never overly impressed with Krispy Kreme to begin with. I found the sweetness of their glazed doughnuts to be very cloying. They have one or two locations here in Syracuse but the one I drive by regularly always seems to have an empty parking lot - I suspect it will be gone before too long.

The whole wheat "healthier" doughnut will hardly be enough to get a significant number of new customers through the door. I find it humorous (and disengenuous) that they claim the Atkins craze to be the culprit in their downfall.

I don't think they ever had the mass market fast food fundamentals in place to begin with:

1) A reasonably broad balance of product.

2) Appealing enough to a broad enough range of people such that they'll get lots of regular repeat business.

3) Aggressive marketing with a regular cycle of new and/or seasonal products being introduced and advertised heavily.

Dunkin' Donuts is all over the place n this town and the Atkins craze hardly seemed to be a blip on the radar for their business. They stayed busy throughout and seem to be busier than ever (with even more new locations). And their success is definitely (IMHO) not based on high product quality.

A big chain grocery store I used to work for made a whole wheat doughnut that manna from heaven could not have rivaled (no offense, God :raz: ). If you got one hot off the line you pondered briefly whether to rub it all over your face before eating it. It was a good inch & a half tall. You sunk down into it and got sweet crumblies on each side of your mouth in the process, gladly, oh the joy.

The store has been sold a few times since. I don't think the donut lasted as an item even back then because the beauty was to get it hot. So...

180 caloires though?

Krispy Kreme makes weanie sissy donuts anyway.

They make donuts, they don't deserve the extra letters, u-g-h.

Probably gonna take a lot more than some brown ingredients.

:huh::huh::huh: Krispy Kreme is in trouble??? I guess my Grandma was right; Yankees are crazy. :laugh::laugh:

I am joking, but serious, too, about the surprise. Our KK is always busy - especially when the sign is on & I have to argue with my own self about stopping every time I drive by.

A whole wheat doughnut sounds so not KK! Actually more like DD - I never have gotten the appeal there - dry & only the toppings are sweet - it's like eating froting on toast - blah! Our DD (only a mile or so from KK) had to add an ice cream shop to stay open and they don't even bother to stay open late at night anymore.

They make donuts, they don't deserve the extra letters, u-g-h.

In my opinion, those three letters are exactly what they deserve. When I moved down here, I tried one, once. Horrendously sweet. I can't imagine a whole wheat one would turn it around for them.

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

The trick to Krispy Kremes is to make sure you eat them hot. Before a store opened here, a coworker would have them FedEx'd out from Tennessee. I tried one and thought the same thing..."Big deal". Then my coworker told me to heat it up in the microwave and what a world of difference. I thought it was quite good. I agree they're not very substantive...a lot of suger and air, it seems, but quite good nonetheless.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I actually tried one of the whole wheat donuts at KK and was pleasantly surprised. The texture was similar to their original glazed but the taste was a bit more natural and seemed to have a hint of honey.

I try not to make a habit of KK, they aren't the best, but I get the occasional craving. :)

"Vegetables aren't food. Vegetables are what food eats."

--

food.craft.life.

The Lunch Crunch - Our daily struggle to avoid boring lunches

:huh::huh::huh: Krispy Kreme is in trouble??? I guess my Grandma was right; Yankees are crazy. :laugh::laugh:

I am joking, but serious, too, about the surprise. Our KK is always busy - especially when the sign is on & I have to argue with my own self about stopping every time I drive by.

A whole wheat doughnut sounds so not KK! Actually more like DD - I never have gotten the appeal there - dry & only the toppings are sweet - it's like eating froting on toast - blah! Our DD (only a mile or so from KK) had to add an ice cream shop to stay open and they don't even bother to stay open late at night anymore.

If they hadnt tried to sell 'em days old in boxes in the supermarkets in NJ....ugh is right

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I like KK's (much to my waistline's chagrin) when they're Hot N Now, but I prefer the variety at Dunkin's (not that I get many LOL). However, KK has become moot here in AZ...the entire state franchise went belly-up several months ago, and nobody has stepped in to recover them. It's so sad, seeing the empty store and the dark sign. As a kid, I loved watching the conveyor belt and all the cooking steps.

(But then, my secret fantasy is to be a grain of cocoa and go on all the 'rides' in the Hershey factory....guess I have to learn Spanish to do that soon. :( )