• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which meat with spinach risotto?

Jan Primus

I will be having my folks over for dinner and want to serve them a spinach risotto with some nice meat, what do ya recommend? I was debating between rack of lamb, beef tenderloin roast, or tuna...also which seasonings to go with the recomended meat would be most apprecitated. TIA.

Spinach goes with just about anything.

I'd consider serving a simple, complementary risotto--e.g.--mushroom--as a first course as is traditional, then perhaps lamb as your main course with sautéd spinach as a side dish.

It's interesting how risotto has replaced Anglo-Americanized pilafs as a side dish. There are some excellent Middle-Eastern and Indian recipes for rice with spinach and onions. Finely chopped (parboiled or thawed frozen) spinach is cooked in either butter (or ghee) or olive oil for a long time until it turns dark and very dry. Then minced onion and rice are added until rice is coated and onion soft. Spices. Hot broth. Cover and simmer till done.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath