• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken Wings in North/Central Jersey

Rail Paul

The Munchmobile made another pass, this one for chicken wings. I have the feeling th emunch team is wearing out. The reports are nowhere near as analytical as they have been in the past. Just a few comments and on to the next one.

Broadway Bar in Point Pleasant - best wings on the trip. Fat, crispy, tangy

and good sauce

Chicken Town in Brick - offer a 100 piece ub of wings, good wings and apple fritters.

Cluck-U in Morristown - maybe the hottest sauce ever made? Liked the onion rings, though

Gone with the Wings in Nutley - OK, but sauce wasn't exciting

Iron Horse in Westwood - 18,000 meals per month, munchers loved the burger. Wings were unmemorable.

Jimmy Geez in Haledon - team didn't seem to have much of an opinion

O'Reilly's in Maplewood - greasy, tangy, nearly award winning wings

I've never been to any of these places, but may want to try the Iron Horse, and see how his stuff stacks up against the wonderful Fink's, which is nearby

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I never tried the wings at the Iron Horse but if they are anything like the rest of the place I wouldn't recommend them.

The Iron Horse

20 Washington Avenue Westwood, NJ

Tonight, TapItorScrapIt boarded the Iron Horse in Westwood to grab some traditional tavern treats. The Iron Horse, located in a 19th century hotel, has been serving diners since 1972. This railroad themed restaurant will surely keep patrons entertained with the many pieces of railroad memorabilia adorning the walls.

I was impressed with the decor, but I was less than impressed with the restaurant's layout. The foyer was small and cramped like a New Jersey Transit train at the height of rush hour. Make sure the little lady brings her mountain climbing shoes if she plans on using the restroom because this train is a double decker and the ladies room is on the second floor. Diners have to rest after climbing half a flight so they can adjust to the altitude change. By the time you scale the mammoth staircase your urge to use the facilities will probably have past.

The restaurant takes great pride in its ability to provide health conscious diners with many healthy menu options. The Iron Horse proudly participates in the Pascack Valley Hospital Heartwise Dining Program. If you aren't satisfied with their healthy menu options, they will gladly prepare your traditional favorites in a healthier fashion. I assure you there was nothing healthy going into my mouth this evening. It was my stomach I was going to worry about, not my cholesterol level. How else can you tell whether the Iron Horse steams down the track or leaves its customers hanging at the gate?

All tables are served a complimentary plate of cole slaw and sliced pickles. This tasty treat was a great surprise. It left us wanting more and more so we ordered the Thai Ginger Chicken Spring Rolls ($4.99). These steaming Spring Rolls were bursting with flavor. The sweet dipping sauce cooled the hot filling. I guess we ordered this excellent dish as a salute to the Orient Express.

The service started off just as superbly as the meal. The waiter couldn't be any more energetic or accommodating. I never saw anyone react so quickly to a customer's request. Unfortunately, his overwhelming eagerness to fulfill our every need soon began to sputter like the "Little Engine That Could". He turned into the invisible man avoiding our table like the plague. While he slowly approached the table with our entrees I thought I heard him mumble "I think I can, I think I can". Looks like this guy has reached the end of the line. Let's see if the food has reached a similar fate.

My dining companion ordered the Turkey Burger, a ground turkey patty served on an English muffin topped with lettuce, tomato, red onion and an interesting cranberry mayonnaise ($7.49). The burger is accompanied by the appropriately named Railroad Fries. The sandwich was good and the cranberry mayo was a great addition. The fries were a little disappointing. The fries crispy outside and soggy inside didn't meet our standards.

I had the St. Louis Rib Platter, a half rack of barbecued pork ribs served with mashed potatoes and corn on the cob ($11.99). The potatoes and corn were fine, but the ribs could have been much better. The meat had entirely too much fat. I was looking for a rib where the meat just falls off the bone; instead I was in a constant battle with a steak knife scraping off whatever edible meat this dish had to offer. If the St. Louis Rams are as tough as the St. Louis Ribs I am sure they will go all the way to the Super Bowl this year.

We were very disappointed with our visit to the Iron Horse. The unfulfilling meal and Jekyll and Hyde service forced these dissatisfied passengers to disembark for an alternate mode of dining.

1 1/2 railroad fries out of 5

Reviewed: 8/14/02

The Man, The Myth

TapItorScrapIt.com

Off-Topic - but nice call on your review of the Spring Valley "El Bandido" on your website, T.M.T.M.! One of my long time favorites, even though I rarely get out that way.

On-Topic - A paltry 7 places is no way to compare wings! I take it they picked those seven based on some previous recommendations?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

On-Topic - A paltry 7 places is no way to compare wings!  I take it they picked those seven based on some previous recommendations?

I think the selection process is based on recommendations from readers, staff suggestions, and where the team is interested in going. Based on the past several years, geographical diversification counts as much as food. The survey is usually accomplished in a single day, which means a lot of hit and run, with seven or eight places in a few hours.

They announce the next two weekly themes and people call in. I'd bet they have have some joints already teed up.

Next week (the final run of the season) is based on out of topic suggestions, places they wanted to try, but didn't, etc.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

For my money Memphis Pig Out in Atlantic Highlands has the best wings in the area. Crisp, plump and with just the right zing.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I still say the Cluck-U on West Side Ave. in Jersey City has the best wings. They are certainly different than most wings at other restaurants. It has more of of a sweet, molasses based sauce, rather than just Frank's hot sauce. I believe their nuclear fusion sauce to be the hottest on the planet, as it eventually melted a hole in the thin plastic container we received it in! :shock:

Cluck U's Nuclear Fusion wings use a pepper extract in their sauce which makes them virtually inedible, which is probably a good thing as most extract based sauces have a flavor you would expect of burnt cat hair.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak