• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to buy truffles?

My girlfriend and I want to cook ourselves a celebratory dinner, and I thought some black truffles would be fun to splurge on. But I just discovered that aux delices no longer has a store, and I don't have time to order any.

Who should I check out?

Also, I'm a truffle newbie, so any tips on how to buy would be most helpful. Starting with how much ... I'm planning to make a demiglace based sauce for a couple of filet mignons. I'll probably make 1/4 to 1/2 cup of sauce at the most. How many grams would be reasonabel? I want the truffle to be the primary flavor of the sauce, not a mysterious background element.

Thanks!

Notes from the underbelly

You might want to check out SOS chefs on Ave B and 8th st. Top notch quality and they're very helpful, but call ahead to make sure they have any, since they only stock them very very fresh. They'd certainly be able to help with the quantity question as well.

http://www.sos-chefs.com/

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

I second the recommendation for SOS Chefs, but with one caveat: it is possible that their regular restaurant accounts will get better product than a walk-in retail customer. So don't hesitate to ask, "Don't you have anything nicer?" if you feel that you're being offered less than top-notch quality. That said, I had a super-duper truffle from them a couple of weeks ago - could hardly have been better.