• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork Belly Sandwich

Daniel

For the Pork Belly:

Sear the pork skin side down until golden brown.  Deglaze with maple syrup. Cook the syrup to a deep caramel and deglaze with the vinegar. Return pork belly to pan and cover with stock. Bring to a simmer, add sachet, and cover. Simmer for 8 hours on very low, until tender. Shred the pork and keep it warm.

SANDWICH

Ok so above is the only sandwich I have seen for pork belly.I am having about 18 guests over and have 12 pounds of pork belly.. While this recipe looks really good, I was wondering if there was another alternative.. I think I might also want a crispy pork belly sandwich or something.. Anyone have another suggestion for a super bowl party this Sunday..

Maybe a Chicharrones sandwich also.. I just feel like although a shredded pork belly sandwich sounds great, I would also like a fried something too..

Edited by Daniel (log)

For the Pork Belly:

Sear the pork skin side down until golden brown.  Deglaze with maple syrup. Cook the syrup to a deep caramel and deglaze with the vinegar. Return pork belly to pan and cover with stock. Bring to a simmer, add sachet, and cover. Simmer for 8 hours on very low, until tender. Shred the pork and keep it warm.

SANDWICH

Ok so above is the only sandwich I have seen for pork belly.I am having about 18 guests over and have 12 pounds of pork belly.. While this recipe looks really good, I was wondering if there was another alternative.. I think I might also want a crispy pork belly sandwich or something.. Anyone have another suggestion for a super bowl party this Sunday..

Maybe a Chicharrones sandwich also.. I just feel like although a shredded pork belly sandwich sounds great, I would also like a fried something too..

Do a riff on a BLT? Do a riff on Carolina BBQ with something coleslawish and an acid dressing?

Me, I like pickles with my pork. Especially if the part of pork is a fatty one like the belly.

I love a cubano with cracklin. So maybe you can find a way--and it shouldn't be to hard--to get the skin of your bellies crunchy while you're braising the rest. No reason why you can't remove the skin in the beginning and handle it under the broiler. I've seen people salt the skin for 24hrs first (render out some water) so it crisps better. At Fatty Crab they drop their pre-braised cubes of pork from the belly and watermelon salad into a fryer to crisp them up. That would be kind of an extreme way for you to handle it. Though it'd probably impress your friends and neighbors.

Pulling is nice for a couple of reasons, it integrates tougher meat with more fat, it's kind of a shorthand, no-wait rillete. But with belly, well it hides the fat part from the fat afraid but on the other hand properly cooked belly is so tender and nice to chew, it is kind of a shame to break it apart. Maybe you braise it, cool it and slice it like the bacon that it is.

I made a terrine out of belly a few years ago so people would eat it without fear of fat. Nobody seems to know or care how much fat is in pate.

What kind of bread will you use?

Carolina pulled pork or cubano seem like templates.

As far as cubano go, roast pork for you is belly. Then the ham. Could go a lot of ways with that. Cheese--when I fancify a cubano I like to use gruyere although I have used young pecorino and the sheep funck of that marries well with pork. You can make pickles but also, for me the variety of delciious new pickled (as in younger, greener and crunchier than half-sour sort of obviates the need. Prune does a delicious baby turnip pickle. That would be nice.

Whew.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Here's something that Henry invented when we were braising pork belly one day.

Take a piece of pork belly (we do it Chinese red-cooked style, so the 1" x 2" pieces are braised for 4 hours in soy, rock sugar, stock, star anise, Chinese 5 spice, scallions, ginger, shao xing wine) and wrap it in 1/2 strip of Niman Ranch bacon. Skewer with toothpick. Then pan-fry. It's crispy and smoky on the outside, and salty/sweet, melting soft on the inside. So good.

Genius.. That sounds like a great little appetizer.. I was going to do the boiled bacon from my porkfest a while back, but I like this idea and its new.. I really want to do this now.. I have 12 pounds, I can certainly play around..

I was thinking of another type of sandwich that sounds good to me.. A chicharrones in a pita.. Crispy pieces of pork belly inside a pita with guacamole, red onion, and a spicy sauce of some kind.. I feel like its missing something to take it over the top.. Or maybe chicharrones and then treat it like a Shwarma with the hot sauce, white sauce onions and maybe throw some feta in there.. Feta might be too much though..

Genius.. That sounds like a great little appetizer.. I was going to do the boiled bacon from my porkfest a while back, but I like this idea and its new.. I really want to do this now.. I have 12 pounds, I can certainly play around..

I was thinking of another type of sandwich that sounds good to me.. A chicharrones in a pita.. Crispy pieces of pork belly inside a pita with guacamole, red onion, and a spicy sauce of some kind.. I feel like its missing something to take it over the top.. Or maybe chicharrones and then treat it like a Shwarma with the hot sauce, white sauce onions and maybe throw some feta in there.. Feta might be too much though..

ooh you know what would be so good braise, chill flat under light weight, slice thin glaze with something sweet and broil. use this as the base to sme kick ass bahn-mi. spicy pate, pickled carrots and dailkon, cilantro, and jalepeno?

or that in a pita.

I don't know about the guac in the chicharrones sandwich, I think I'd prefer salsa verde, refried beans and sweet plantians. oooh that would kick so much ass...mmm it would be like the pork belly at degustation only MORE EXTREME!

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

I know I must be really out of it, but where and in what form do you buy pork belly?  The thought of good old fashioned fatty pork makes me drool....

From my butcher you can buy pork belly by the pound bone in or bone out. There is very little meat on it, it's really, mostly fat.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

I know I must be really out of it, but where and in what form do you buy pork belly?  The thought of good old fashioned fatty pork makes me drool....

Where are you located, Bonnie? That will help us give you guidance. Certainly if there's anything like a "pork store" in your town, that would be the first place to go. Ethnic meat markets would be another possibility (Chinese and Hispanic are the best bets). And, should an old fashioned butcher shop exist in your community, that would be worth a try, too. Even some supermarkets have been known to carry a fresh belly (though, admittedly, not many). Sometimes it's marked as "city pork" rather than pork belly.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I am in Denver, with plenty of meat markets and ethnic groceries, but I don't know anything about pork belly. If it is mostly fat, with very little meat, how much do you have to use for the recipes above? The pulled pork sounds wonderful, but it is hard to imagine doing that with something that is mostly fat. Guess I am just confused about what this is, but if it is fatty pork, I am interested.

I am in Denver, with plenty of meat markets and ethnic groceries, but I don't know anything about pork belly.  If it is mostly fat, with  very little meat, how much do you have to use for the recipes above?  The pulled pork sounds wonderful, but it is hard to imagine doing that with something that is mostly fat.  Guess I am just confused about what this is, but if it is fatty pork, I am interested.

Daniel's photo shows it best. But pork belly is nothing more than fresh bacon. As fresh ham is to cured ham, pork belly is to bacon.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Daniel: That slab of pork belly is a thing of beauty! I was checking them out in our supermarket and for $27.00, it was miserable looking. I'm heading to an Asian market in the city this weekend, so I'll be on a hunt!

Meanwhile, check out a post by Chinese forum egulleteer sheetz for her take on siu yok - Chinese crispy pork made from pork belly. I always enjoy a siu yok sandwich, crispy skin and all.

Sorry I don't know how to post a link to the picture in question, but it's post # 688, page 23 of the Chinese Eats at Home thread.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Daniel,

Blackbird in Chicago has a killer pork belly sandwich on the lunch menu:

organic pork belly sandwich with cabbage slaw, dijonnaise, summer vegetable salad and garlic frites

Molto E

Edited by molto e (log)

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

Thats a pretty looking piece of pork belly.. I am going to do one stewed and one crispy like this.. That really looks gorgeous..

Thanks, Daniel, for linking sheetz's picture of the crispy pork.

I red braised a pork butt, and a pork shoulder a while back, one with dark soy sauce, star anise, cinnamon stick, and cane sugar (Chinese rock sugar) crystals, and the other with sweet soy sauce and Thai chilis. Both were great as pulled pork sandwiches on crusty rolls.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Daniel

Don't have any pics, but I made a braised pork belly over the weekend in the vein of the Galen Zamarra recipe and it came out great. I heavily salted and peppered the belly before I seared it, then deglazed with maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and apple cider. Into the pot with chicken stock and braise for 8 hours. Came out beautiful, tons of flavor, melt in your mouth.

Made a sandwich with caramelized onions, belly, and sauteed broccoli rabe.

Dave

I too dont have any photos.. I was really swamped this weekend and ended up cooking this whole Super Bowl spread by myself.. But the sandwich I made is very close to yours.. I also skinned the pork belly and served Chicharrones with it..

I am in Denver, with plenty of meat markets and ethnic groceries, but I don't know anything about pork belly.  If it is mostly fat, with  very little meat, how much do you have to use for the recipes above?  The pulled pork sounds wonderful, but it is hard to imagine doing that with something that is mostly fat.  Guess I am just confused about what this is, but if it is fatty pork, I am interested.

Bonnie I am in Denver also . Any of the mexican Carniceria(SP) have it, Its a bit thinner than the real thing. If you are out west there is a place on 44th and Ward rd. called Edwards meats. They have the real thing...(even jowls)

Bud

b

Bonnie I am in Denver also . Any of the mexican Carniceria(SP) have it, Its a bit thinner than the real thing. If you are out west there is a place on 44th and Ward rd. called Edwards meats. They have the real thing...(even jowls)

Bud

Thank you so much! I know the place you are talking about; I will go there this week.

b