• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I've never had a problem with texture

Kent Wang

I have not tried a fish eye yet, but can't wait.  :raz:

Oh. I am American. From the United States.

Do I have to leave now?  :cool:

Well, no but let me know when you're going to start popping eyeballs so I can leave the room... :unsure:

:laugh:

:laugh:

Now here's a contradiction: My brother who can't stand mushy food eats fish eyes.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

The only texture that's ever bothered me was sea cucumber. It's like crunchy mucus. But I love cartilage, skin, fat, mushy stuff, etc.

My father absolutely loathes winter squash, or Indian squash, as he calls it. He says it's the texture. He will reluctantly eat summer squash. But he'll eat the hell out of some grits and okra.

who knows.

• 3 years later...

What I gather from the responses here is that culture is not a determinant of texture omnivore-ness, but rather since most Asians eat a wider variety of foods (and textures) we're more open to a variety of textures.

For me texture is very important; I certainly wouldn't say I'm insensitive to it -- quite the opposite. I simply love all textures.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried natto? Did the texture bother you?

Just tried natto at a restaurant recently and loved it. Texture was not a problem and really enjoyed the nutty taste. A dining companion described it as like eating wheat paste, and not in a good way.

The only texture that's ever bothered me was sea cucumber. It's like crunchy mucus.

I think that's only with sea cucumber that's been dried out too much. Good, fresh sea cucumber is not crunchy at all. Still pretty soft, like tofu -- or mucus.

Texture reactions seem like they're far more individual than cultural. For example, I have no problem with things like rice pudding, which I never encountered growing up, although my boyfriend abhors the stuff, even though it is a traditional Danish dessert. Although I (Slavic and Italian background) can't think of any specific texture I dislike (although I had some salmon jerky once that had a weird, tannic effect in my mouth that I wouldn't care to re-experience), there are definitely certain textures that I cannot eat if they're associated with certain tastes. Specifically, a creamy texture in savoury dishes is nauseating to me, although I have no problem with the identical texture in a sweet.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I love Umami. During a discussion about this with a waiter at a local Japanese restaurant, he suggested I try Natto. Despite the texture, I love these.

Interestingly, I have problems eating cooked, mushy peas. They are one of the few thing I don't eat and I'm sure that my aversion is due to the texture.

Apart from those: Stringray, sea slug, seaweed, chicken feet, whatever. Bring it on!

Edited by nickrey (log)

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Here is an interesting question to all you non-texture selective eaters:

Have you tried durian fruit? Besides having a stinky aroma, it has this mushy pasty texture.

dcarch

Hm. Anything else have a similar texture? I don't think mushy/pasty would put me off, in and of itself (unless it was in something that wasn't supposed to be mushy and pasty, e.g. a cut of meat).

But I'm not great with the sort of scent I've heard attributed to jackfruit (I can't even deal with that of ripe bananas, and have to either breathe through my mouth or leave the room if someone is eating one nearby), so I've avoided trying it, although I've also heard the texture described more flatteringly as 'custardy'.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Have you tried durian fruit? Besides having a stinky aroma, it has this mushy pasty texture.

dcarch

Hm. Anything else have a similar texture? I don't think mushy/pasty would put me off, in and of itself (unless it was in something that wasn't supposed to be mushy and pasty, e.g. a cut of meat).

But I'm not great with the sort of scent I've heard attributed to jackfruit (I can't even deal with that of ripe bananas, and have to either breathe through my mouth or leave the room if someone is eating one nearby), so I've avoided trying it, although I've also heard the texture described more flatteringly as 'custardy'.

Yes, it can be called "custardy" but is is more like the kind of texture when something is about to go spoiled.

The smell( stench)? To give you an idea, there are many places with law against the eating of durian in public.

dcarch

I love durian. Don't mind the texture at all. It seems quite normal and common to me, not unlike ripe banana.

If you like the taste of durian but not the texture, you can try it in other forms like durian ice cream, smoothie, or freeze-dried chips.

Cartilage is the texture I can't handle. Mushy, slimy, pasty - all okay. But cartilage, especially together with bone and nail, like in chicken feet? I just can't enjoy it.

How about pig ears that have been cooked a long time so that the cartilage is very soft?

I don't have a problem with texture at all. It's more about the flavour with me. Some things can be hard to approach at first, such as offal or unusual ingredients. That's for foods on their own. My biggest qualm with texture though is at restaurants. A one dimensional dish is a deal breaker for me I'm afraid. As well as service, technical issues etc etc.

How about pig ears that have been cooked a long time so that the cartilage is very soft?

I've only ever had crunchy pigs' ears - usually as a part of salads in Vietnam. There they're not so bad, since they're together with other thinly sliced crunchy components.