• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wedding Cake Question

Drewman

I've been asked to replicate this buttercream cake for a July wedding & don't have any idea how Sylvia Weinstock made this pattern on the sides. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

gallery_20451_4152_794683.jpg

Always speak your mind. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind.

Maybe it's brush embroidery, done very lightly? I think it's also sometimes called royal icing appliques? I don't have a lot of examples at hand, but here's a nice photo of some brush embroidery on a cake, and here are some online instructions. Basically, you outline your design in royal icing, then use a clean brush to sweep some of the icing toward the center of the design, creating a soft textured look. And you can pipe on lines and dots around it when it's dry.

That's a beautiful cake, good luck!

I agree that its probably brush embroidery. You can make it more dimensional by piping fairly thick outlines to start from and pulling them inward. Its easy to practice and experiment with line thicknesses on a piece of cake board. The effect is very pretty.

I think both of you are right, thank you very much. The good news is; I have 6 months to practice!

Always speak your mind. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone happen to see the Designer Wedding Cake Challenge on the Food Network last night?? Some of those cakes were absolutely amazing! I can't begin to imagine how many hours of work were put into creating those.

If you missed it, look for it in reruns - it was really enjoyable to watch :smile: