• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Super Bowl

Daniel

Ok.. Having a Super Bowl Party this year and was hoping to do something City appropriate perhaps.. Obviously I was rooting for Cajun Food and Clam Bakes but, I am a big fan of Chitown too.. For Chicago I was going to go Italian Beef and Deep Dish Pizza.. I have a fairly decent Chicago Pizza recipe but am at a loss with the Italian Beef.. Maybe Keilbasa.. Chicago Hot dogs, eh sorry, I have to draw the line somewhere :biggrin: I was also thinking of making a Black Bear Chili... Anyone have a website to purchase Bear Meat?

If someone has a great Italian Beef recipe I would appreciate it.. In terms of the Sandwich I am looking for a complete breakdown.. I need to know what type of meat, how to make the spicey giardiniera, and what bread I should buy.. I have seen some recipes online, but if there is someone with a favorite version, I would love to have it..

Which brings us to the Colts.. Does anyone know of any traditional dishes or specialties from that way? The only things I can think of is Serving Colt 45 and horse meat.. Definitely will have Colt 45 but the horsemeat may not be too popular..

Thanks for your help..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Ok.. Having a Super Bowl Party this year and was hoping to do something City appropriate perhaps.. Obviously I was rooting for Cajun Food and Clam Bakes but, I am a big fan of Chitown too.. For Chicago I was going to go Italian Beef and Deep Dish Pizza.. I have a fairly decent Chicago Pizza recipe but am at a loss with the Italian Beef.. Maybe Keilbasa.. Chicago Hot dogs, eh sorry, I have to draw the line somewhere  :biggrin:  I was also thinking of making a Black Bear Chili... Anyone have a website to purchase Bear Meat?

If someone has a great Italian Beef recipe I would appreciate it.. In terms of the Sandwich I am looking for a complete breakdown.. I need to know what type of meat, how to make the spicey giardiniera, and what bread I should buy.. I have seen some recipes online, but if there is someone with a favorite version, I would love to have it..

Which brings us to the Colts.. Does anyone know of any traditional dishes or specialties from that way?  The only things I can think of is Serving  Colt 45 and horse meat.. Definitely will have Colt 45 but the horsemeat may not be too popular..

Thanks for your help..

I would suggest Eggs Benedict in honor of that traitorous bastard Bob Irsay who literally moved the Colts out of Baltimore without warning in the middle of the night.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Hmm..  Maybe little corn dog bites might be cool.. But that Chicago Italian Beef is really what I am after..

Did you look at this thread on Italian Beef? click

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Daniel - For the Italian beef, you can make it easy on yourself and have the entire setup shipped to you from my long time favorite, Al's # 1.

For Indianapolis, I like the mini pork tenderloin sandwich idea. Nothing else strikes me as being unique to the area.

daniel - if you have Real American Food by Jane and Michael Stern check out pp 247-248. if not i can pm you the recipe.

corn dogs...yum.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Here's an Indiana possibility, besides the mini tenderloins (great idea, btw) and popcorn (Orville's from Clay County, afterall.)

Shagbark hickory syrup is an Indiana thing too. You can get it here: http://www.hickoryworks.com/ There are all kinds of things you can do with it -- but sweet potato fries (or bite sized wedges, roasted till crispy) drizzled with the stuff are really something special. Here's an old entry from my blog on the couple who make it.

http://myplateoryours.typepad.com/my_plate...4/02/index.html

Hey thank you Christine..

This sandwich has been on the back of my mind for some time.. Before I knew what I was doing I was at the store.. I made a quick little test run.. Using 2.5 lbs of rump roast I injected with garlic juice, covered with salt and pepper and baked for an hour and a half.. For the gravy, I chopped up 7 green peppers and a few onions.. Added it to store bought beef stock and a few cloves of garlic, few bay leaves cayenne and crushed red pepper and dried oregano.. Let this cook for a few hours..

Injecting with garlic juice..

gallery_15057_2971_526.jpg

Baked to 129

gallery_15057_2971_6819.jpg

sliced

gallery_15057_2971_17060.jpg

At the end I sliced the meat as thin as possible with a knife.. I already ordered a meat slicer.. Added it to the gravy. Since I am not eating meat right now and was just doing a test run, I had my doorman try it.. He really loved it however, he doesnt know what a Chicago Italian Beef is about.. Mine was cut way too thick and not stewed long enough but its all about the slicing.. Is rump roast what they use for italian beef in Chicago?

It was really good tonight but that pepper gravy tomorrow, forget about it.. Its goign to be amazing.. I served it with bottle giardienara.. I need to really improve that.. I bought B&G which is not too good..

It will be a nice little side dish at the party..

gallery_15057_2971_144014.jpg

A far cry from what I am striving for.. But the pepper gravy I am really happy with..

Exhibit A+

gallery_15057_1323_232147.jpg

this picture is from the Patio I wrote up after a weekend in Chicago weekend in Chicago

Edited by Daniel (log)

Ok.. Having a Super Bowl Party this year and was hoping to do something City appropriate perhaps.. Obviously I was rooting for Cajun Food and Clam Bakes but, I am a big fan of Chitown too.. For Chicago I was going to go Italian Beef and Deep Dish Pizza.. I have a fairly decent Chicago Pizza recipe but am at a loss with the Italian Beef.. Maybe Keilbasa.. Chicago Hot dogs, eh sorry, I have to draw the line somewhere :biggrin: I was also thinking of making a Black Bear Chili... Anyone have a website to purchase Bear Meat?

This is my first posting so I hope that I am doing this correctly. Deep dish pizza and Italian beef are certain to be popular choices at any Super Bowl party. If you want to try something a little bit different you might consider two dishes that eminate from Chicago restaurants namely Chicken Vesuvio and Shrimp de Jonge. Both are loaded with garlic in the best possible way :biggrin: . Vesuvio is a browned then baked chicken dish with browned potato quarters, garlicky sauce and fresh peas. Shrimp de Jonge is a sherry wine, garlic and bread crumb based casserole. The Chi Tribune has recipes in their archives although I had to tweak them a fair amount to get the taste right. When you are going for child memories these things are important. I made these for a party celebrating the abbreviated Cubs post season a few years back and they were a big hit.

As to Indiana ... I attended college in Indiana (South Bend) and I *still* haven't a clue what these people eat. But it was scary :shock:

Kate

Hey welcome Kate.. Thanks for the input and yes you are right.. Those two dishes do remind me of Chicago.. You also helped me remember this dish too.. What would any g-d fearing Chicagoian :biggrin: want along side there Vesuvio...

Mostacholi of course, I think you can get that instead of fries at the Mc Donalds over there..

Thanks for your help and welcome to Egullet..

Far be it from me to interrupt this discussion, being from the backwoods of Indiana and all, but may I remind all of you culinary connoiseurs of Shapiro's?

gallery_23100_3904_73556.jpg

gallery_23100_3904_59393.jpg

Now Y'all be nice. :raz:

Daniel I have a little jug of that shagbark syrup---it's supposed to taste of hickory---want it?

Ooooo that guy looks good.. I think I remember wha that taste like.. Do you think they make that in soy? :raz: Heck, I would even go for a slice of rye bread right now..

gallery_23100_3904_73556.jpg

Thank you for the offer for the shagbark.. I am extremely interested in it.. I will grab some of that site that was mentioned... Thank you Miss D.. :biggrin:

Daniel,

Per the thread that mentioned the mini breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches, that is Indianapolis' culinary contribution for the Super Bowl. You could make full size sandwiches but eating one would overwhelm the rest of the food and have you napping by the 4th quarter. :laugh:

This is what I mean... :wink:

ONealTenderloin1.jpg

Just about every restaurant, bar or grill in Indianapolis that has sandwiches on its menu will have a pork tenderloin sandwich. I haven't found another big city that can come close. Heck, I found six restaurants so far serving them in the small (12,000 population) city of Speedway that is completely surrounded by Indianapols.

Need ideas and inspiration? Plenty of it on my web sites. :biggrin:

Davydd

It is just an Anglicized Welsh spelling for David to celebrate my English/Welsh ancestry. The Welsh have no "v" in their alphabet or it would be spelled Dafydd.

I must warn you. My passion is the Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Now blogging: Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Blog

Daniel, you purchase that insane hunk of flesh, lovingly inject it with garlic juice and roast it to perfections and you're "NOT EATING MEAT RIGHT NOW?" WTF? You make candied-bacon, lard-caramel, double-blood-fudge scrapple ice cream sundaes with a pig's eyeball replacing the cherry on top, and you're not eating meat?

Even if so, how did you resist once you got that beast out of the oven?

I'm going to have to get a bottle of that smoky hickory syrup. Might go well with Marmite, my current insatiable obsession.

I don't know where you can get bear meat, but I had bear bourguignon a few years ago and it was fantastic. Really tender and a deep, deep flavor. Even though you're slow-cooking it, you might still marinate it first. Lots of chocolate in that chili, too.

The Indiana guy at the office (His last name's Shinn, so we've turned every applicable word into a "shinnonym;" i.e. Shinndiana) is from the northwest sliver of the state, loathes the Colts and is a shinnsane Bears fanatic.

But his idea of a culinary adventure is mild salsa, so I don't know how that speaks to the Indiana-based aspect of this Super Bowl.

Here's an Indiana possibility, besides the mini tenderloins (great idea, btw) and popcorn (Orville's from Clay County, afterall.) 

Shagbark hickory syrup is an Indiana thing too.  You can get it here: http://www.hickoryworks.com/  There are all kinds of things you can do with it -- but sweet potato fries (or bite sized wedges, roasted till crispy) drizzled with the stuff are really something special.  Here's an old entry from my blog on the couple who make it.

http://myplateoryours.typepad.com/my_plate...4/02/index.html

Just wanted to warn the rest of you that this Hickoryworks site has crashed two different browsers on two separate computers here tonight. I don't know what the problem is (but I want to order some syrup!)

Just wanted to warn the rest of you that this Hickoryworks site has crashed two different browsers on two separate computers here tonight. I don't know what the problem is (but I want to order some syrup!)

According to a feature on the Food Network's Food Finds show title "Racing Around Indiana" last year it was claimed that Hickoryworks was the only operations that made syrup from the Shagbark Hickory tree. With a sudden interest in such a short time they are probably overwhelmed. It's not like Maple syrup that just about everyone makes and it is made from the shagbark and not the sap.

Davydd

It is just an Anglicized Welsh spelling for David to celebrate my English/Welsh ancestry. The Welsh have no "v" in their alphabet or it would be spelled Dafydd.

I must warn you. My passion is the Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Now blogging: Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Blog

I am from Chicago and love Italian Beef on Vienna Bread.

The best is the 3 foot long loaves of Gonnella Bread that used to be available in every grocery store.

As far as Giardenaira goes, dice some green/red peppers, add diced carrots and onion and cover with vegetable oil. This will be the mild. Add a few serrano chilis and you will have the hot.

For Indy, I'd go with Pulled Pork sandwiches.

BBQ is popular in Indy and Pulled Pork works just fine.

Serve with fresh Cole slaw on the sandwich and maybe a nice Corn Relish on the side.

This is cut/paste from the previously mentioned thread regarding real Italian Beef.

The reason I posted this here is because this is very similar to how we do it in the restaurant. We make ours in 25# roasts.

Italian Beef bottom Round or brisket

Slow-Roasted Beef Rubbed with Onion, Garlic and Italian Seasoning, Moistened with Au Jus

Last Update: 5/1/2003 Portion Size: 3 oz+Au Jus

Yields: 7.5 Pound 15 Pound 30 Pound

Ingredients: Portions: 24 3 oz+Au Jus

Beef stock 3 Quart

Beef Top Round, Raw TRIMMED 5 Pound +

Kosher Salt 1 Tablespoon

Ground Black Pepper 1 1/2 Teaspoon

Granulated Onion 1 1/2 Teaspoon

Granulated Garlic 1 1/2 Teaspoon

Pepprica 1 1/2 Teaspoon

Ground Black Pepper 3/8 Teaspoon

Granulated Onion 3/4 Teaspoon

Granulated Garlic 3/4 Teaspoon

Peperica 1 1/2 Teaspoon

Procedure:

1. Prepare Beef stock.

2. Remove visible silver skin from beef. Cut beef into about 11 lb pieces.

3. Combine salt and 1st listed pepper, onion, garlic and Italian seasoning. Mix well. Rub mixture into beef to completely cover. Hold overnight in refrigerator at internal temperature of 40 degrees F. or below to marinate.

4. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Tie beef pieces with butcher's twine to form even roasts. Place on racks in roasting pans to brown .

5. Pour 1st listed broth in pans. Place pans in oven. Roast, basting frequently or cover with plastic wrap and double foil <VERY IMPORTANT , for 5-6 hours. Remove from oven. Let stand for 10 minutes. D

6.Cook till tender like pot roast.

Portion: Serve 3 oz beef with au jus.

This post has been edited by chefreit: Aug 18 2005, 03:33 PM

I also vote for the mini pork tenderloin sandwiches for Indiana. You can't beat that unless you want to make little cubes of corn mush. (only a joke by the way).

I have family from Indiana and their love of pork tenderloin sandwiches is well known.