• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveW

Peking duck vs Cantonese duck

36 posts in this topic

This is a continuation, from the NY board when we were discussing the "Best Chinese seafood in Flushing." I was wondering what are the differences between Peking duck and Cantonese duck? Until recently I thought there was only Peking duck.

Could it be that there's no difference between the two, except for the name? Peking duck is associated with upscale dining, while Cantonese duck would be at the other Chinese restaurants.

--------------

Steve

I believe Peking Duck is a specific recipe with many courses utilizing the whole duck, where cantonese duck could be more than one recipe refering to the regional cantonese cooking. I'm quessing though :blink:

Peking duck is first and foremost a breed.

When it was first imported to Britain in the 19th century it was to be cross bred with the aylesbury duck.

It was then breed for it's own eating. It's what we see in the states as Long Island duck (actually a white peking)

Believe it or not the white peking was first introduced to my home state of CT back in the 1870s and then to L.I.

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

i'm really no expert, but it's my understanding that the ducks that we generally eat are a breed called "pekin" duck, which is quite a different thing from the chinese preparation with scallion and brown sauce.

I'm pretty sure there called "peking" but I could be wrong.

Perhapes "pekin" is just another name used. Why the G would be dropped from King i'm not sure.

the "g" hasn't been dropped as there is no breed called "peking duck". :smile:

do a google search.

I'm pretty sure there called "peking" but I could be wrong.

Tommy,

Thank you for the clarification. "peking" in a mispronounceation of "Beijing"

I was wrong. It's great to learn new things.

I think that Peking/Pekin/Beijing/Long Island ducks are one and the same and they refer to a "breed" of ducks. Where as Cantonese is more like a style of preparation, sort of like "chicken cacciatore" is hunters' style chicken "cantonese duck" is Cantonese style duck.

My 2 cents,

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

"peking duck" is a preparation. it don't see evidence of anything other than that, unless there's a crispy brown and sweet species flying around that i haven't yet noticed. :blink:

"peking duck" is a preparation.  it don't see evidence of anything other than that, unless there's a crispy brown and sweet species flying around that i haven't yet noticed.  :blink:

So I was right....According to Tommy :biggrin:

"peking duck" is a preparation. it don't see evidence of anything other than that, unless there's a crispy brown and sweet species flying around that i haven't yet noticed

I typed Peking (with a 'g') Duck in yahoo search and got two results. This is one of them:

http://www.reichardtduckfarm.com/

They claim that they are purveyors of superior Pekin (no 'g') duck. What are they refering to?? Is Pekin and Peking different?? Now I am seriously confused.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

They claim that they are purveyors of superior Pekin (no 'g') duck. What are they refering to?? Is Pekin and Peking different?? Now I am seriously confused.

FM

they are referring to the species know as pekin duck. they are *not* purveyors of the chinese dish.

i'm outta here.

ediot: changed "peking" to "pekin", and then took a nap. :wacko:

Edited to remove sparkling repartee between Tommy and myself.

Thanks for the great clarification g Johnson. I really thought Pekin and Peking are the same thing. It seems that your cantonese duck pic did not make it right though.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Thanks for the great clarification g Johnson. I really thought Pekin and Peking are the same thing. It seems that your cantonese duck pic did not make it right though.

why was my clarification not thanked and called "great"?

note to self: include pictures next time. possibly pop-ups.

I typed Peking (with a 'g') Duck in yahoo search and got two results. This is one of them:

http://www.reichardtduckfarm.com/

FM

The owners of the website probably included the work "Peking" in their code somewhere so that their site would show up when you do a search.

FM

they are referring to the species know as peking duck. they are *not* purveyors of the chinese dish.

i'm outta here.

Tommy-

You did not clarify anything. It seemed you were contradicting yourself by stating that "Peking" is a preparation method and above by saying it is a species or breed. And you did not specify if Pekin and Peking are the same or not (I did see your earlier post).

However A BIG THANKS for making this discussion/argument/learning session interesting.

better?

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

You did not clarify anything. It seemed you were contradicting yourself by stating that "Peking" is a preparation method and above by saying it is a species or breed. And you did not specify if Pekin and Peking are the same or not (I did see your earlier post).

However A BIG THANKS for making this discussion/argument/learning session interesting.

better?

well there you have it. i mistyped "pekin" as "peking" in that post. please accept my apologizies, as i did in fact add to the confusion rather than help.

pensively yours,

tommy

why was my clarification not thanked and called "great"? 

note to self:  include pictures next time.  possibly pop-ups.

Thanks, Tommy. Just for being you. Fade to instrumental strings, sunset....

better?

well there you have it. i mistyped "pekin" as "peking" in that post. please accept my apologizies, as i did in fact add to the confusion rather than help.

pensively yours,

tommy

No problem Tommy. This really was an interesting discussion. I kept it in my background and refreshed often while working because I wanted to know what the final conclusion was. I'm getting ready to head home now I have a pot of slow cooked RB&R waiting in the crock pot.

later

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Thanks, Tommy. Just for being you.  Fade to instrumental strings, sunset....

Why did nobody thank me just for being Tommy. Specially as I didn't contribute to this thread purposely so as to leave room for other wonderful people like Tommy to make their typos with impunity.

Humph !

Thank you for the clarification. "peking" in a mispronounceation of "Beijing"

Small point: "Peking" is the Wade-Giles transliteration of the Chinese. The same which gave us a "j" to represent an "r" sound and a "t" to represent "d". "Beijing" is in the Pinyin transliteration form, which represents pronunciation a bit more clearly.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Small point: "Peking" is the Wade-Giles transliteration of the Chinese. The same which gave us a "j" to represent an "r" sound and a "t" to represent "d". "Beijing" is in the Pinyin transliteration form, which represents pronunciation a bit more clearly.

clearly this is what i've been trying to say, with my sentence fragments and typos.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      I was recently asked by a friend to give a talk to a group of around 30 first-year students in a local college - all girls. The students were allowed to present me with a range of topics to choose from. To my joy, No. 1 was food! They wanted to know what is different between western and Chinese food. Big topic!

Anyway I did my best to explain, illustrate etc. I even gave each student a home made Scotch egg! Which amused them immensely.

Later, my friend asked each of them to write out (in English) a recipe for their favourite Chinese dish. She has passed these on to me with permission to use them as I wish. I will post a few of the better / more interesting ones over the next few days.

I have not edited their language, so please be tolerant and remember that for many of these students, English is their third or fourth language. Chinese isn't even their first!

I have obscured some personal details.

First up:

Tomato, egg noodles.

Time: 10 minutes

Yield: 1 serving

For the noodle:

1 tomato
      2 egg
      5 spring onions

For the sauce:

1 teaspoon sesame oil
      1 tablespoon sugar
      ½ teaspoon salt

Method:

1. The pot boil water. At that same time you can do something else.

2. Diced tomato. Egg into the bowl. add salt and sugar mixed. Onion cut section.

3. Boiled noodles with water and cook for about 5 minutes.

4. Heat wok put oil, add eggs, stir fry until cooked. Another pot, garlic stir fry the tomato.

5. add some water to boil, add salt, soy sauce, add egg

6. The tomato and egg sauce over noodle, spring onion sprinkled even better.

More soon.
    • By zend
      I just bought these greens from the neighborhood Asian grocery. Had them once in China as a salad, and they tasted exceptional - a bit peppery like arugula, yet much more subtle and fresh, with hints of lemon.
      Store lady (non-Chinese) could not name them for me other than "Chinese greens".
      Any help identifying them is greatly appreciated

• By liuzhou
      China's plan to cut meat consumption by 50%

I wish them well, but can't see it happening. Meat eating is very much seen as a status symbol and, although most Chinese still follow a largely vegetable diet out of economic necessity, meat is still highly desirable among the new middle classes. The chances of them willingly giving it up, even by 50%, seems remote to me.
    • By JohnT
      I have been asked to make Chinese Bow Tie desserts for a function. However, I have never made them, but using Mr Google, there are a number of different recipes out there. Does anybody have a decent recipe which is tried and tested? - these are for deep-fried pastry which are then soaked in sugar syrup.
    • By chefmd
      My son married a lovely young lady from Yakeshi, Inner Mongolia, China.   Mongolian: ᠶᠠᠠᠠᠰᠢ ᠬᠣᠲᠠ (Ягши хот); Chinese: 牙克石; pinyin: Yákèshí

We had a wedding in the US but her family also wanted to have a traditional wedding in China.  DH and I have never being to China so this was an exciting opportunity for us!  We spent a few days in Beijing doing touristy stuff and then flew to Hailar.  There is only one flight a day on Air China that we took at 6 in the morning.  Yakeshi is about an hour drive from Hailar on a beautiful toll road with no cars on it.  I wish we took pictures of free roaming sheep and cows along the way.  The original free range meat.

The family met us at the airport.  We were greeted with a shot of a traditional Chinese spirit from a traditional leather vessel.  Nothing says welcome like a stiff drink at 9 AM.  We were supposed to have a three shots (may be they were joking) but family took pity on us and limited it to one only.