• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Cost Control of Brazillian Rodizios?

thdad

I was wondering how a Brazillian rodizio/churrascaria restaurant manages to control its food cost when it offers 10 or more cuts of meat that might go to waste (if they are already roasted in the spit) at the end of the day. With the all you can eat cold/hot buffet as well as the meat, I can only guess that the food cost would run at least 35% and over. Can anybody guess what the profit model for a rodizio would be?

Acutally, I would think it's quite the opposite amount of wastage at a Rodizio. They're only cooking as much as one skewer-full of any one meat will hold, especially as the evening winds down, and I'd think that they time it so that they're not left with much waste at all.

If they're starting some skewers of meats to have at the ready to finish cooking as they need them, they'd certainly refrigerate those overnight.

I say this especially because I was just at the Texas de Brazil in Miami (which I normally love), and we were there late, and pretty much had to beg for meat, and were pretty much only offered whatever well done pieces were already cooked (which is not typical of them). But I'd bet that wastage is controlled to be at a minimum.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's