• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dried porcini

ojisan

I have a big jar of dried porcinis in my pantry - been there for several years - and I noticed that they're turning white on the edges. What does this mean? Are they still OK - I only use them for sauces. I assume that the flavor has diminished, but I don't want my dinner guests to die a prolonged and painful death....

Monterey Bay area

I've kept them for years without any noticeable change in flavour. But I have had some get tiny bugs which, while unnoticeable when cooked, can spread throughout the cupboard, so make sure they stay in a sealed jar.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

• 7 years later...

I am looking for a good, reputable source for dried porcini mushrooms.  The ones I've seen in stores around here are sourced from China and other places, including Russia, with some bags indicating five possible sources.  Some I've found on line have negative reviews saying the mushrooms weren't 100% porcini, but rather, mixed with other types.

I want to find some non-Chinese, 100% pure, dried porcinis from a reputable source.  Any suggestions?

... Shel

One good thing is that dry porcini can be bought directly from Italy, they will ship.

This brand on amazon Here looks to me better than the Urbani linked by Weinoo (just the size of the mushroom and the look of it, taste I'm not sure because I've not tried).
But the italian web site sells the package of 150 g (versus 50 g on amazon) for 19,00 €, it would be interesting to find out the shipping cost.

Dried mushrooms (of all types) often develop white spots with age. I wouldn't worry about them so long as they have been kept in truly dry storage and away from insects. 

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

One good thing is that dry porcini can be bought directly from Italy, they will ship.

This brand on amazon Here looks to me better than the Urbani linked by Weinoo (just the size of the mushroom and the look of it, taste I'm not sure because I've not tried).

But the italian web site sells the package of 150 g (versus 50 g on amazon) for 19,00 €, it would be interested to find out the shipping cost.

I tried the Urbani and was disappointed. Your suggestion does look to be a better choice.  I contacted the seller in Italy and asked about shipping.  Thanks for the pointer

My asking here is to find someone who has purchased and used from a particular source, and to, hopefully, be assured that I'm getting a good quality true dried porcini.  A lot of items on Amazon are quite spendy, and comments are not always good.  I'm tired of buying poor quality and questionable goods and food products.

... Shel

I am looking for a good, reputable source for dried porcini mushrooms.  The ones I've seen in stores around here are sourced from China and other places, including Russia, with some bags indicating five possible sources.  Some I've found on line have negative reviews saying the mushrooms weren't 100% porcini, but rather, mixed with other types.

I want to find some non-Chinese, 100% pure, dried porcinis from a reputable source.  Any suggestions?

Try ordering them from Eataly.

http://www.eataly.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.results&searchString=porcini

ETA: I only saw Mitch's reply just now. Disregard this reply please.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)