• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lovin' My (French) Merlot

Busboy

hmmm, i know he was talking about phasing it out at one point, but the los carneros merlot is the one that's listed on the website.

Russ, I was referring to the Claret, not the Merlot. The Claret is now either Napa Valley or Stag's Leap District.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

FWIW, most of the 98 St Emilions ar quite drinkable, plentiful, and cheap.

i agree strongly. see this wtn:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST&f=24&t=95567

Grand Cru Productions

Private High End Dinners and Personal Chef Service

in Chicago, Illinois

For more information email me at:

grandcruproductions@hotmail.com

FWIW, most of the 98 St Emilions ar quite drinkable, plentiful, and cheap.

i agree strongly. see this wtn:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST&f=24&t=95567

'98 was a pretty good vintage for the entire right bank: St Emilion , Pomerol and Graves.

The merlot and cabernet franc ripened much better than the Cabernet sauvignon.

That said, there are not many of these 98's around anymore--the best bottles have been gone for a while.

I still see a few here and there though. And at the time there were some relative bargains.

(certainly compared to prices for the 2000 vintage and after the 95 and 96 vintages).

I think the best of the 98 right bank wines will age very nicely and will be very very good.

ps

I would love to know what 'mint paint"for the lamb chops is. (sounds intriguing--and tasty)

98 was a pretty good vintage for the entire right bank: St Emilion , Pomerol and Graves.

when did Graves cross the river? I thought that it was still in south west Bordeaux in 1998.

To get to the other side!

Oh. When did Graves cross the river. Never mind.

Perhaps JohnL was referring to Graves de Veyres, which I had never heard of but which appears to be tucked into the right bank quite close to St. Emillion, Fronsac etc.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

98 was a pretty good vintage for the entire right bank: St Emilion , Pomerol and Graves.

when did Graves cross the river? I thought that it was still in south west Bordeaux in 1998.

To get to the other side!

Oh. When did Graves cross the river. Never mind.

Perhaps JohnL was referring to Graves de Veyres, which I had never heard of but which appears to be tucked into the right bank quite close to St. Emillion, Fronsac etc.

I probably should let this pretty funny and astute reply suffice but....

I confess, I was confused!

Graves is across the river from St Emilion and Pomerol. I should have indicated that the river had little to do with the vintage--rather it was the merlot which ripened better than the cabernet sauvignon and thus, wines with higher percentages of merlot were quite good regardless of which side of the river they were from.

:wacko:

Busboy wrote "Wow! A little light but strikingly delicious. I'll spare you you any attempt at tasting notes until we open the second bottle, but certainly one of the best and probably the most eye-opening bottle I've had all year. Made me wonder why it's been so long since I brought a bottle of something like this home."

That wouldn't be anything to do with this thread would it?

"Boycott Bordeaux! (and others), Take the pricing power back

There's only one hope, one that will benefit us all: a two-year boycott of all wines that cost over $40 retail

In the mean time, we'll search the world for new champions, in Argentina and Greece and California's more obscure hillsides and valleys, showering money and respect on producers who bring passion to their art and respect to their pricing."

:rolleyes:

David

Edited by Brad Ballinger (log)

Anything I say can and will be used against me. :biggrin:

Actually, thanks to this thread, I learned a little bit more about Right Bank wines and am eager to explore the Fronsacs, Lalande de Pomoroles and other less-famous appellations which just might get me back under $40.

This does not mean that I'm not still bitter that I have to chose between a case of Petrus and my son's freshman tuition, however.

I'm on the pavement

i agree with brad, but i can't help but wonder at a topsy-turvy world where suddenly bordeaux is considered affordable.

Bordeaux produces a lot of wine.

There has always been plenty of wine from the AC at reasonable prices.

In good vintages, always important here, there are often some real bargains.

In the past wines like Gloria, Meyney, Sociando Mallet, Potensac, Camensac, Greysac,

Prieure Lechine, etc (there are probably twenty or thirty more)

have offered a lot of wine for very reasonable prices.

The trick is to look beyond the top growths and find chateau and lesser growths that are over performing and/or underpriced.

• 3 months later...

In case anyone else is looking through this list in search of modestly-priced Merlots, turns out the bistro just down the street from my office has a Fronsac called Vieille Cure on special for $35 a bottle. It would be a worthy bottle at that price off the shelves, it's an extraordinary wine for the price at the table (plus they bring out the nice glasses, which I can't help but like) :wink: .

Fronsac: another day, another lesson. Or, two lessons last Friday night.

I'm on the pavement