• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Struan bread

Bill/SFNM

According to M.F.K. Fisher in the forward to Peter Reinhart's Brother Juniper's Bread Book:

... Struan is the best bread in this present world.

Perhaps not as photogenic as other breads, it stands right up there as one of my favorites to make and eat. The sweet aroma of this bread when baking is intoxicating.

My method is based loosely in Reinhart's recipe. I use a multi-day rise with a natural starter culture and no commercial yeast.

The crumb is ideal for sandwiches. Toasted and slathered with butter, it is awesome.

IMG_0760_1.jpg

IMG_0762_1.jpg

Bill/SFNM

Hey, Bill/SFNM:

Nice to see you here!

There are a lot of us that are flying around these superb sites as eGullet, Pizzamaking, Fornobravo and any of those that fill our mouth of water and our belly of …well, of a lot of things that, in being Monday, I even could mention LOL.

By the way, do you mind to share the recipe and tips of the Struan bread with us?

Luis

Hi, Luis,

Muito Obrigado

This seems like a wonderful place to learn more about baking bread - kind of like getting a drink of water from a fire hose.

Here is the formula I am using for 1400g loaf (with 17g of bowl residue). I use a rye bread pan.The activated starter is 54% flour by weight. The rice is a blend of wild and basmati:

Grams

Bread Flour 719.72 100.00%

Water 205.46 28.55%

Starter 233.81 32.49%

Brown Sugar 72.75 10.11%

Cooked rice 88.83 12.34%

Honey 80.37 11.17%

Salt 16.07 2.23%

Buttermilk 230.95 32.09%

mush:

Polenta 53.30 7.41%

Rye Flakes 35.53 4.94%

Wheat Bran 12.69 1.76%

mush water 131.97 18.34%

Mix mush ingredients and allow to sit while starter is activating.

Combine all ingredients and knead until gluten is fully developed. Bulk rise at room temp until doubled. Retard in refrigerator for about 3 days. Proof in rye bread pan until doubled. Brush top with water and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake @ 375.

Hope this helps.

Bill/SFNM

I went to a bread class with Peter Reinhart years ago for a Book & Cook event in Philadelphia. He made the Struan bread at that class, and I have been making it ever since. I use brown rice when I make it. It is amazing in it's understated sweetness, dense but still light texture, and full depth of flavor. My family hovers around the kitchen waiting for it to come out of the oven. It's gone in hours. If you can manage to save a loaf, it's great in French toast. And it ain't bad toasted, either!

For those who don't want to work quite as hard as Bill does, the original recipe is made with yeast, not a natural culture starter, and rises in a few hours.

Thanks for starting a thread about it.

Eileen

Edited by etalanian (log)

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow