• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jalapeno Pepper Jelly

maggiethecat

As the push for the artisanal Xmas prezzie is into the home stretch, I'm looking for a super recipe for Jalapeno Pepper Jelly to snuggle into the gift boxes along with the chutney and mostarda. Does anyone have a knockout recipe? ( I'm totally down with the use of Certo and green food coloring if that's what I need to produce a shimmering green jar of the stuff.)

Thanks in advance.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

As the push for the artisanal Xmas prezzie is into the home stretch, I'm looking for a super recipe for Jalapeno Pepper Jelly to snuggle into the gift boxes along with the chutney and mostarda. Does anyone have a knockout recipe?  ( I'm totally down with the use of Certo and green food coloring if that's what I need to produce a shimmering green jar of the stuff.)

Thanks in advance.

Things that will make your first attempt better are:

real apple cider vinegar

low methoxyl pectin, e.g. Pamona's

cooking the jelly slowly for a while helps create bits of pepper that are well suspended in the jelly

salt

'nough said

What can I do with it, besides the cream cheese and crackers thing?

Perhaps you can use it as a marinade for meat, and chicken, or grilled vegetables (one interesting suggestion I read about) but mostly it was all cream cheese and crackers ... :hmmm:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I made some this summer, for the first time. 

I warm a bit of it over low heat and use it as a finishing glaze on pork loin.

Use a couple spoonfuls in your bbq sauces.

Peanut or almond butter and pepper jelly sandwiches (especially nice if the bread is toasted)

Smear on biscuits or cornbread.

Add it to a sweet and sour sauce for pork or chicken that also includes pineapple.

Replace the usual fruit jelly with pepper jelly when baking thumbprint cookies.

Mix with your favorite mustard and use as a glaze for shrimp, roasted winter squash, meatloaf or meatballs.

Some folks seem to like it on ice-cream and cheesecake.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I've made phyllo triangles filled with with farmer's cheese and used warmed pepper-and-garlic jelly as a dipping sauce. They were a big hit.

I served pepper jelly with Escalloped Chicken at one of my restaurants and it was a match made in heaven. The chicken included layers of chicken and dressing, topped with an eggy bechamel layer.

Mostly, I use it as a spread on sandwiches, like chicken or cheese.

I think it would be good with duck, perhaps in a sauce. It's wonderful with lamb, instead of mint jelly.

I don't make my own as long as I can get it here:

Pepper Patch

Click on Products. They don't list the jelly as available by itself, but have substituted for me in the gift packs.

Edited by ruthcooks (log)

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali