• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thai in NYC

SuY

indeed.

for other ideas: Zabb. for fancy hotel Thai: Kittichai.

in a pinch, the best Thai in Manhattan is either Pam Real or Wondee Siam (I).

Zabb has opened a branch in the East Village but I don't know if it's any good or not. mean to remedy this shortly.

indeed.

for other ideas: Zabb.  for fancy hotel Thai: Kittichai.

in a pinch, the best Thai in Manhattan is either Pam Real or Wondee Siam (I).

Zabb has opened a branch in the East Village but I don't know if it's any good or not.  mean to remedy this shortly.

mascarpone and I ate there a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was very good, and I'll let him speak for himself when he has a chance.

Michael aka "Pan"

mascarpone and I ate there a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was very good, and I'll let him speak for himself when he has a chance.

I've been eating there lots. Not sripra but still very excellent. Can be mind-bendingly spicy if you ask for it.

They deliver!

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

• 3 months later...

A guy I work with claims to know Thai pretty well. He's been to Srip, Pam, Wondee, Pongsri and some other notables (not to mention he's lived in Thailand). So I give him some well deserved street cred when offering recs. He told me Prem-on on Houston is seriously good. Bruni seemed to like it in his journal back June05. (I know that's not saying much)

Anyone know this place?

http://www.prem-on.com/home.html

That wasn't chicken

A guy I work with claims to know Thai pretty well.  He's been to Srip, Pam, Wondee, Pongsri and some other notables (not to mention he's lived in Thailand). So I give him some well deserved street cred when offering recs.  He told me Prem-on on Houston is seriously good.  Bruni seemed to like it in his journal back June05.  (I know that's not saying much)

Anyone know this place?

http://www.prem-on.com/home.html

im partial to pongsri, but my girls fam owns it, pam is good as well tai thai is good for street style food on houston,

Pongsri - nicer atmosphere than the average Thai place but I was not overly impressed by the food and the one near the Theater district is just overrun with people for the pretheater rush.

Have not been to Wondee and I was less impressed with Pam than many others are. Was with a party of four and none of us were wowed - also it's a formica table / bright flourescent light kinda joint. Not that that's a knock but for a birthday dinner I would drag him out to Queens. Sripraphai expanded a year or two back and is much nicer in terms of decor than they used to be. Not fancy but nice. And the food is great - really really good.

Husband wants Thai for his birthday meal. I know there is a great place in Queens but can't recall the name. Any ideas? And any other suggestions? Thanks!

If you want a trendy place with some atmosphere due to the occasion, Prem On Thai is a pretty good way to go, as is Kittichai. And Highline in the Meatpacking isn't half bad either. However, none of these is totally authentic.

Everyone seems to support Sriraphai, and in my personal experience Thailand Restaurant (owned by Pongsri) in Chinatown is the most authentic. However, all the Pongsris are not created equal. The Chinatown location (Baxter and Bayard) is considerably better than the others.