• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thai (Ma\esri ?) paste and coconut milk

rotuts

cheers

Ive had some of these style pastes 

in the past :

81JCcgwE08L._AC_SS260_.jpg.0dd0d8a0b902e48e4c2eb8c40334c77a.jpg

Id like to know ,

this paste  w coconut milk , cream 

it from a can , the C about 

mixed together 

sort of like a thick gravy 

does that concoction 

bake well , say @ 350 F 

for 45 minutes ?

splitting is OK

an idea just now.

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

cheers

Ive had some of these style pastes 

in the past :

81JCcgwE08L._AC_SS260_.jpg.0dd0d8a0b902e48e4c2eb8c40334c77a.jpg

Id like to know ,

this paste  w coconut milk , cream 

it from a can , the C about 

mixed together 

sort of like a thick gravy 

does that concoction 

bake well , say @ 350 F 

for 45 minutes ?

splitting is OK

an idea just now.

I'm not quite sure what you're looking to do - traditionally, you would mix the paste with a small amount of coconut milk and boil/fry until you start to see some of the oil come out.  Once that's done, you would add the rest of the coconut milk or stock or both and simmer just long enough to cook whatever you're putting in there and to make it the consistency you want.

You can bake curries - I've seen it done with rendang, since usually rendang has to be cooked for many hours, so a cheat would be to put it in a low oven (275-300F) for a couple hours - but rendang is usually cooked until dry, so it takes a long time to evaporate out all that liquid.  Thai curries don't usually cook for very long, so I don't know why anyone would want to bake it.

• Thanks 1