• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Glass bowls help

JerzeeTomato

:blink: Recently I have been seeing Guy Fieri and Tyler Florence using what appears to be a clear glass "kitchenaid" like mixing bowl on their shows. Tall just like a metal kitchenaid mixing bowl but clear glass. Bobby Flay and others have been using them as well. I love these bowls. They are high on the sides so if you used a hand mixer you would get zero splash out. Does anyone know what brand they are????

I want one or a few. I googled...nada.

You are my people, help help!

:blink: Recently I have been seeing Guy Fieri and Tyler Florence using what appears to be a clear glass "kitchenaid" like mixing bowl on their shows. Tall just like a metal kitchenaid mixing bowl but clear glass. Bobby Flay and others have been using them as well. I love these bowls. They are high on the sides so if you used a hand mixer you would get zero splash out. Does anyone know what brand they are????

I want one or a few. I googled...nada.

You are my people, help help!

Well, you got me going - I googled too, and I won't claim to have plumbed the depths, but all I found was what I already have ... nice bowls, but shallow.

The only tallish kind I've been able to find are the stoneware pudding basin type, which are nice, but chip easily. I did find an interesting recipe for onion and bacon pudding, though .. lol!

I will hope that someone knows where the kind you are talking about can be got, because I would like some tall mixing bowls too. And I confess to a weakness for glass :-)

Lynn

Oregon, originally Montreal

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit! ....what a ride!"

The sunbeam one is nice.Ths bowl seems to be a staple on food network. Guy Fieri made tatter tots with garlic in them. Every time I turn on a cooking show someone has one. The bowl looks 4 quarts to me. Just like a kitchenaid but glass. I like glass too. Anyone have a connection at food tv just say hey 4 qt glass bowl, high sides, where do we buy them?

These are the bowls currently available for Sunbeam mixers.

Glass and steel.

This Sunbeam, model 2371 is supposed to have a 4.5 quart bowl, however replacement bowls are not available at this time.

The Attrezzi mixer has a "Designer" glass bowl in colors and patterns. These are 4.5 quart.

Jenn-Air Attrezzi

They look a great deal like the shape of the early KitchenAid mixers, I have several in my collection.

gallery_17399_60_1075.jpg

gallery_17399_60_23964.jpg

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I haven't seen the shows you mention but they sound very similar to the bodum super bowls I have. I love them! They come in two sizes, have plastic lids and the big one is huge. I purchased mine from bodum.com but I couldn't find them on the website now.

Here is a link to one on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Superbowl-Purp...e/dp/B00005LM1B

good luck!

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

I don't remember seeing them on TV, but I agree that it sounds like you're talking about a batter bowl - it's not quite as big though.  I have one from Pampered Chef that is one of my most-used kitchen items.

here's a link to the PC web site

This is a 4 quart plus no handle no spout. I have the 2 quart handle spout combo. I want 4 quart high sides. :wub:

Do they have to be clear glass?

I have a set of these and I use them for pudding basins, they are oven and microwave proof. I love them and I have a huge collection of bowls but these are among my favorites.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The biggest one is 5 1/2 quart. The biggest in the 4 bowl set is less than 4 quarts.

I just pulled it out and poured in water using the 2 quart Pyrex measures and the bowl won't hold 2 full measures.

I bought them as a 5-piece set last February but apparently the big one is now sold separately. Sorry!

I actually got them from Target. Yesterday I couldn't find the Target link.

This is it.

You can also get them in white, only without the spout.

And multi-color like these.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

I have a bowl thing too... My dream is to complete a set of vintage Fiesta mixing bowls. I think the re-issued Bauer 2000 also has a very nice bowl set. Cuisipro, Le Creuset and Rosle all make deep mixing bowls, too. Perhaps a search of Amazon.com, Cooking.com or Kitchen, Etc online will help you find a style you are comfortable with? Also, Mason Cash makes wonderful mixing bowls and the pudding basins make great (smaller) mixing bowls, too!

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

I love Mason Cash. I broke my largest mortar a couple of years ago and couldn't find one to replace it. My daughter was in Scotland for 6 months and also in England and was unable to find one there. I don't know when they stopped selling the 12-inch one. I still have the 8, 6 and 4. I also have two of the pudding basins and one of the "Cornish" blue stripe, which I found at a yard sale for 50cents.

I love Mason Cash.  I broke my largest mortar a couple of years ago and couldn't find one to replace it.  My daughter was in Scotland for 6 months and also in England and was unable to find one there.  I don't know when they stopped selling the 12-inch one.  I still have the 8, 6 and 4.  I also have two of the pudding basins and one of the "Cornish" blue stripe, which I found at a yard sale for 50cents.

I just broke both my Mason cash bowls this summer and have been Keeping an eye out for replacements, I was just in a high end kitchen store in Canterbury that had all the sizes up to 12" but they were to heavy to bring back with me :angry:

I love Mason Cash.  I broke my largest mortar a couple of years ago and couldn't find one to replace it.  My daughter was in Scotland for 6 months and also in England and was unable to find one there.  I don't know when they stopped selling the 12-inch one.  I still have the 8, 6 and 4.  I also have two of the pudding basins and one of the "Cornish" blue stripe, which I found at a yard sale for 50cents.

I just broke both my Mason cash bowls this summer and have been Keeping an eye out for replacements, I was just in a high end kitchen store in Canterbury that had all the sizes up to 12" but they were to heavy to bring back with me :angry:

Fantes has all sizes of Mason Cash bowls,

the traditional yellow ware bowls. Scroll down about 1/3 of the way on the page. Their prices are pretty good, in fact, they are better than some of the ebay vendors who are selling these as "vintage" but they are brand new - no scratch marks on the bottoms.

While searching for something else, I came across this set of

tempered glass bowls at Cooking.com

The largest in this set is 4.5 qt.

Cooking.com is having a significant sale starting today. I received an email notice this morning that some things are up to 75% off.

Natasha1270, I have those Fiesta Ware bowls -- they were my grandmother's and I don't use them -- I have them on top my kitchen cabinets and they add nice color. I used to use them for fruits and vegetables, also very colorful but high maintenance to keep up.

This is an interesting thread; it made me realize how very particular I am about bowls and how many I have. My mother had the mixer pictured above, I loved that glass bowl. Hers was an off white color, and I still remember how the little exhaust vent smelled . . .

My favorite mixing bowls are a set of 7 graduated white melamine that I got from Crate and Barrel. They often have this set in revolting colors. I bought white as a concession and now I can't imagine living without them. I keep them on top of my refrigerator, the white blends with the white.

I also have a set of plain glass graduated bowls that I use for indoor picnics -- I fill each one with something, usually something that can be eaten by hand, and set them on the floor or coffee table for an indoor picnic.

I also have a really, really useful set of three pyrex bowls -- blue, yellow and red. They're clear with a painted coating. I got them for ten bucks or so in a discount store; I've seen them in an antique store for a hundred.

I like the Mason Cash -- do they hold up well, no chips? Are they impossibly heavy when full? This is why I like the melamine -- really light!

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.