• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Family Friendly Restaurants

Rachel Perlow

From the Cheesecake Factory thread:

Do you have any suggestions of places to eat in Jersey?  That's only about 15 minutes away from Hackensack?  I'll have 1 screaming baby and 2 loud kids in the car...so I NEED a short trip.  :cool:

Despite ShawtyCat's request to keep it near Hackensack, let's just list places in NJ, that are not franchises or chains (everyone knows about Applebees or Bennigans), that are welcoming to families with children and/or babies in tow. Please include Restaurant Name, Town, and County and a brief description or reason why you find them child friendly.

I personally have found that most Chinese restaurants are very child friendly. For example China 46 in Ridgefield Park, Bergen County, almost always has large families in attendance with children and babies as well.

Fornos and some of the Ironbound places always have families.

Tiger's Tale in Montgomery, but always a wait. Sante Fe Grill in Rocky Hill. both Somerset Cty.

Winberries, Mediterra and Therese's in Princeton, plus Conte's for pizza.

Big Fish in West Windsor, and Merlino's in Ewing.

Cranbury Inn, and Cranbury Station,inCranbury. Mercer Cty.

The Burg is filled with families, except Diamond's, Marsilio's and Lornenzo's...more business/special occassion.

A very quick trip over the bridge into New Hope, Bucks Cty PA, and there are a few other options: Logan Inn, The Porch, Martine's.

Baumgarts in Englewood and Ridgewood are both family friendly. And while it is not "haute" cuisine, you and your kids will love it. The food is good, and it doesn't try to be anything more than what it is. Some stuff is wonderful and some dishes are ok. BUt for families it is perfect. Kids can have burgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese, dumplings, etc. Parent's can choose from the "Baumgarts" version of Americanized Chinese cuisine. The there are those terrific desserts and ice cream. The kitchy atmosphere really makes it work.

There is also Jackson Hole for burgers and chicken sandwiches. Very kid friendly, monster burgers and something for the whole family.

Cafe Local in Englewood (on Grand Avenue) is also very kid friendly. They have crayons and a big roll of paper for the kids to draw pictures on. They'll even hang the drawings on the walls, which the kids just love. THe food is ok with a latino slant but there is something for everyone and the prices are decent.

Ichiban in Hackensack is a Japanese Hibachi Steak house. WHile it is not your cheapest choice the hibachi chefs are sure to entertain your kids while you relax with a sake. The food is well prepared and staightforward but worth a try.

Andiamo's on Hardenburg Rd. in Haworth (or is it Demarest) is very child friendly. There are always lots of kids.

Most of the small pizza restaurants are child proof OOPS...meant friendly.

Like Rudy's in Closter or Italian Connection and Uncle Frank's in Dumont.

All Diners are made for kids.

Almost forgot about Lido's in Hackensack. We used to go there a lot when our kids were anklebiters!

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde

Are any of these places family friendly??:

Houlihans

Outback Steakhouse

....what the heck is that place that's next to the Cheesecake Factory??

Both are Kid friendly and the place next to Cheesecake Factory is called Houstons. Sort of a slightly more upscale version of a Houlihans. It is kid friendly but it geared more towards the Gen X crowd.

I know Outback is.

We went to the place next to Outback on Rt. 17 the other night, I think it's Lonestar or Longhorn or something like that, and that had lots of kids!

Most of the chains are kid friendly.

OK - I'm going to get all moderator-y on you guys. The initial post specified no chains to be listed. I'm sure we can all assume that the Olive Garden, Houlihans, Bennigans and Applebees (etc.) are child-friendly.

Add Pasta Pot (Hackensack, Bergen) to the list. They used to be the more upscale Capri Mia, but have toned down the menu, atmosphere and prices. We went with a 16 month old and they were very welcoming. Although I don't think they have a children's menu, the pasta prices are mostly under $10, with huge portions. Two kids could easily split one portion.

( :whisperling smilie: See, tommy, we're getting a list together of places we know to not go to!)

Yeah...Ive seen Longhorn on my way to the mall.  But it's the Outback Steakhouse that DH wants to try next.

no offense, because JHLurie thinks we should be very tolerant...but really, I have 3 kids, too....but am not on e-gullet looking for reccomendations to Outback. Are you really willing to go off the beaten track. or are you dedicated to trying every chain in your area...and really, how could you think the Cheesecake Factory is FRESH food...waht is your dining background? No one wants to get mean, either do I, but I don't feel like I ccan contribute to a thread without having a better idea of what you really want in a place....if we bust butt coming up with alternatives, is DH going to veto it and wait online at country buffet ( PS, I have given birth to a human being , whose father is a chef of some repute, who feels this is the epitome of dining) , dismissing our suggestions?

To be exact, Kim, I think we should be tolerant of a well considered opinion on her part that a chain can be good for her circumstance. She joked a bit about frustration about people with attitudes about kids in restaurants, but I suspect she remembers being on the other side of the issue as well, as do you, of course.

I'm not a parent, but I'm a frequent diner with 2 year old and 5 year old nieces. I've been on both sides too. My blood can boil a bit when someone in a quiet restaurant can't control their child, but I also know the effort it takes and only glare when its obvious that the parent isn't even TRYING. Otherwise I think of my nieces and bite my tongue big-time.

Even worse is when I see parents dragging 1-5 year olds into R-rated movies, and a scream fest ensues. I feel justified in being angry then mostly because of an assumption that an R-rated movie is an adult experience.

It is certainly appropriate to discuss chains on eGullet, but perhaps not in this thread, since Rachel is correct that we can assume that any intelligent chain tries like hell to be kid friendly. So at worst, I think ShawtyCat should simply ask her questions about chains like Outback in a chain specific thread (maybe if we had a "Best Chain Restaurant in NJ" type of thread, or one of the many general threads for nationwide chains we've already got...), and of course the question of kid-friendly is less relative, since we know they will be.

And Outback is good for a chain, although insanely busy. Sorry, Rachel, but I wanted to sneak that in so ShawtyCat doesn't think she's bein' completely ganged up on! :biggrin: There's an Outback in Edgewater (by the "Target" store) as well, if the one on Rte. 17 looks too busy.

As for the Cheesecake Factory "fresh" issue, perhaps that can go back to the other thread. I imagine that someone who for the past few years has apparently had to deal with chains would lean towards a place whose food at least looks like it uses real vegetable matter. If we've broken the illusion for her in regards to this I'm sure we've ultimately done her a service, but I suppose its a hard lesson.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

No one wants to get mean, either do I, but I don't feel like I ccan contribute to a thread without having a better idea of what you really want in a place....if we bust butt coming up with alternatives, is DH going to veto it and wait online at country buffet ( PS, I have given birth to a human being , whose father is a chef of some repute, who feels this is the epitome of dining) , dismissing our suggestions?

You know...they really aren't enough expressive similies. :blink: What I was trying to convey was mystification as to what the heck is the big difference between Outback Steakhouse and Longhorn. I said I've passed Longhorn on the way to the mall....sorry if I forgot to mention that it is before you reach Outback Steakhouse. A Steakhouse is steakhouse isn't it?? I'm not trying to imply that I cull information out of this board to submit to DH so he can say yea or nay to it. I only made a comment in passing without supplying all the words. I actually joined egullet because of the India forum and Malawry's posts not to get info on restaurants.

To be frank...I'd rather eat out with the kids when my youngest are say...4 or 5 not 23mths and 1 mth. DH doesn't understand the absolute frustration of towing 3 kids around. jhlurie is correct about my being on the other side as well....we've had people bring their kids into the diner and have them run up and down the place or stand in the booths and jump up and down. THAT is annoying. :angry:

As for thinking the Cheesecake Factory's food was fresh...that was the first time I had ever heard of the place and we were told that it was a restaurant with an actual kitchen. All I did was post what happened on my trip to the Cheesecake Factory. I really wish that dang post would stop following me around......Im beginning to feel like the kid in the pool. :sad:

Edited to add: As for my dining experience: I know where to go to eat as a single person in Manhattan and Queens. :biggrin:

Extremely kid friendly. Not great but decent, well prepared fresh food at reasonable prices. I would not clasify them as a chain although they are owned by the same corporation being Growth Enterprises.

Willies Tavern: Bedminster - Morris

The Store: Basking Ridge - Morris

Thirsty Turtle (more of a bar/restaurant): Bernardsville - Morris

Link: http://www.growthrestaurants.com/

"Who made you the reigning deity on what is an interesting thread and what is not? " - TheBoatMan

What I was trying to convey was mystification as to what the heck is the big difference between Outback Steakhouse and Longhorn.  I said I've passed Longhorn on the way to the mall....sorry if I forgot to mention that it is before you reach Outback Steakhouse.  A Steakhouse is steakhouse isn't it??

No, a steakhouse is really a restaurant the specializes in prime meat. Peter Lugers, Smith & Wolensky, Assembly, River Palm Terrace, those are steakhouses (forgive me if they aren't all the best, I am not generally a steakhouse enthusiast). Outback, Charlie Brown's and Longhorn are chain restaurants that specialize in steak and call themselves steakhouses, but I'm pretty sure they aren't serving prime aged beef.

Outback, Charlie Brown's and Longhorn are chain restaurants that specialize in steak and call themselves steakhouses, but I'm pretty sure they aren't serving prime aged beef.

if you'll allow me to generalize, i'm guessing that about 98% of the people who eat at these places think that "aged beef" is "old." :blink:

if you'll allow me to generalize, i'm guessing that about 98% of the people who eat at these places think that "aged beef" is "old."  :blink:

You mean it isn't? :raz:

Dee and I walked past Gallagher's in NYC the other day and noticed the beef aging in the window. Coupla giant rib cages.

I was impressed at how old they LOOKED. Weathered, purplish, like a fighter two or three days after the fight he lost. Very indented. The meat on the first rib was easily indented two inches

I'd have to believe this stuff (the same meat) has been in this window since Jack Dempsey and Babe Ruth came in for steaks and a few beers a few years ago.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Quoted from epicurus

"Fine butchers and meat purveyors dry age all of their fresh USDA Prime meat to perfection by holding it in coolers at a temperature of 34-38 degrees F. They age beef for four to six weeks. Veal and lamb are young, delicate and tender, and are hung in our coolers for no more than a week.

Aging produces beef that is naturally tender and flavorful. Nothing the cook does to add flavor in the kitchen is a substitute for starting with properly aged meat.

There are two types of aging: Dry aging and wet aging. Dry aging is the choice of the discriminating chef. The wet aging process involves sealing meat in airtight Cryovac bags. Wet aging does less to enhance flavor and tenderness than dry aging.

Dry-aged meat is increasingly difficult to find because the process is expensive and time-intensive. During dry aging, the meat´s natural enzymes act as a tenderizer, breaking down the connective tissue that holds the muscles. At the same time, the evaporation of moisture improves texture. Dry aging continues until a thin coating develops on the meat surface. The coating seals in flavor and juices during aging, and is then trimmed off. Loss of weight results from the evaporation of moisture and from trimming, and both of these processes add to the cost of dry aging meat. "

"Who made you the reigning deity on what is an interesting thread and what is not? " - TheBoatMan

I was just on the phone with a friend, talking about going to Uncle Frank's in Dumont to night for a bite (a child friendly place, too) and this restaurant just popped into my head. Khan's Mongolian Grill on Rt.303 in Blauvelt, NY.

A great place to go with the little ones. Mine loved it when they were small and still like to go there now that they are in their 20's! Except they still like Dad to pay, and they bring their SO's. So, Shawty Cat, mark this one in your places to try book. Guaranteed the kiddies will like it!

Gotcha!... If I can drive to Ithaca to try out a pizza joint my hubby remembers from college (can you believe it rained the whole 8 hours I was driving?? :blink: Could only see to the hood of my car.) I can try this place out too. :wink:

Anyone been to Sakura 46?? In South Hackensack?? I think they have ok food too.

Gotcha!...  If I can drive to Ithaca to try out a pizza joint my hubby remembers from college (can you believe it rained the whole 8 hours I was driving?? :blink: Could only see to the hood of my car.) I can try this place out too.  :wink:

Khan's Mongolian Grill on Rt.303 in Blauvelt, NY is not very far, actually. I've never been inside, but I've been by it about a million times, since Rte. 303, via the Palisades Parkway, is the fastest way to get between Bergen County, NJ and the Palisades Mall in NY.

Also, its been years since I've had decently made Mongolian BBQ. The place in the Bergen Mall was good when it started out, but it didn't really hold up all that well.

And Shawty, if you'd drive all that way for Pizza (and I already know you like the Brooklyn's Pizza in Hackensack), then take the trip up to Ramsey for Kinchley's as well. No kid restrictions there that I know of, except that you almost always have to wait outside for a table to open up, since its packed to the gills inside.

Hah. On second thought I'll bet you've been there. But in their own way they ARE kid friendly, or at least no more unfriendly than they are to anyone else.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

And if you'e anywhere close by the Englewood/Tenafly/Bgnfld/Dumont/Cresskill area, know that Knickerbocker Road (cty 505?) is a North/South kinda sorta main road that turns into 303 at the NY state line. Save you some driving time.

Nick