• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Family Friendly Restaurants

Rachel Perlow

I went to Nellie's Place in Waldwick recently. I found it to be very family friendly:

Tonight, we set out in search of a local eatery that had an established presence and clientele to see whether it commanded such status. Why were so many people flocking to this place? What was it they craved that made this place so attractive? After an arduous journey we finally settled upon Nellie's Place in Waldwick. Nellie's features a large menu that combines a full range of Irish, Italian, and American dishes.

I hope that Nellie was a family person because families were a plenty at this restaurant. Screaming kids over here, screaming kids over there, screaming kids everywhere. I guess the little tyke to the right of us had pins and needles on her chair because this kid just would not sit down. We weren't too bothered. After all it was good food and service we were here for, not a romantic dinner for two. So, go nuts you little hell raisers. Wreak havoc on this place as you sit perched in your high chairs and booster seats. Go ahead fling those fries, bang that silverware. If your parents don't care than why should we care.

Surveying the large menu quickly becomes a difficult task when you have so many different types of food to choose from. We thought it would be a wise decision to order the combination appetizer platter so we could test as many tempting appetizers as we could without causing our stomachs to explode. Titled "the Works" this combination is made up of two baked stuffed clams, three mozzarella sticks, three fried raviolis, and two potato skins ($6.95). Great price yes, great taste no. The baked clams had a lumpy stuffing with very little clam in the mix. The potato skins had entirely too many bacon bits sprinkled about. The mozzarella sticks and the fried ravioli seemed to be straight from the grocer's freezer. Less than impressed I quickly scanned the room to see what other diners were eating for their main course so I wouldn't lead my table astray a second time.

It seems the most popular item consumed at Nellie's is pizza. Sounds great, I am always up for sampling a new pizza. I feel pizza can tell a lot about a restaurant. If a restaurant is serious about their pizza than they are usually just as serious about the rest of their operation. The pizza we opted for was a large pie, half plain and half topped with sausage and peppers ($9.50). I was very happy with the thin crust, which was cooked to a perfect golden brown. A dab of sauce and a thin layer of cheese made this pie one of the best thin pizzas I have seen in the area. The sausage was good but I thought the peppers could have been cooked a little longer.

I was most impressed with the service. The wait staff seemed like a seasoned brood that knew what it took to keep diners coming back again and again. They were a quick and efficient bunch who still took the time to be warm and cordial to diners. So many times I have had efficient waiters and waitresses who didn't give me the time of day. Every visit to the table came with a big smile and sincere concern for our satisfaction.

After our dining experience I quickly determined what was keeping this place in business year after year - its excellent pizza and superior wait staff. If you are looking for a place where the pizza and service are equally consistent than I would suggest you try Nellie's Place for yourself. If you can't tolerate the younger rowdies then at least come for the take-out.

3 scurrying tots out of 5

Reviewed: 7/21/02

The Man, The Myth

TapItorScrapIt.com

La famiglia in Bogota is very family friendy - Mixed reviews on it, I like it - my neighbors don't. But i been there many time with 3 or 4 kids aged from 1-5, and they always welcome me back.

Teaneck Pizza just opened a mongolian beef (i think) side resturant, that's further up on Degraw/Fort Lee Road, right next to Teaneck Pizza. (good pizza too).

Segovia's in Moonachie is always welcoming to children.

La Posada is nice too- but they are closed for renovations, boo hoo.( they don't have crayons but they do give out beans and rice and the kids fill up on chips)

Meson Madrid must be child friendly too, (my relatives go there with their wild Kids)

where else, oh probably any of the resturants on Cedar Lane -Teaneck.

But Lido's in hackensack is one of my favorites( i went there when I was foot stomper ,knee biter) , there's the old lido II (now hannahs ) in New Milford- very very child friendly.

I've been hearing good things about the Grant Street Cafe in Dumont.

That's all I can think of now